Akai AX-60

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Akai AX-60

Post by JUGEL » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:20 pm

Anyone know where I can find the manual for the Akai AX-60. I can't seem to find it.

More specifically... can anyone tell me how to do splits? And how to save them?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:37 pm

I owned one of these in the late 80's/early 90's. I don't think you can save splits.

Z

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:06 pm

Well.. I suspect you can. When you hit a button labeled "SET". The display changes to P1. You can select from P1 - P8 using the nember buttons.

Each one had either presets or a split of presets in them. I didn't know how to create new one's ... also I can't quite figure out the splits.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:18 pm

Sorry for sliding off topic here.

JUGEL, how similar do the SixTrak and AX-60 sound? As they both us the CEM3394 I would think nearly identical.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:44 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:Sorry for sliding off topic here.

JUGEL, how similar do the SixTrak and AX-60 sound? As they both us the CEM3394 I would think nearly identical.
I have owned both a AX-60 and the Multitrak (identical to sixtrak) and they sound similar in some respects but the ax60 is alot more tweaky and cold. I would definitively say they do not sound "nearly identical". The CEM3394 voice chip(aka "synth on a chip") can be implemented a variety ways so there are differences in sound for sure.

Personally, I hated the sound of both and dont miss them at all. It seems like both (including the other SCI synths that used this chip) were just an effort to make a synth out of a video game voice chip with poor results. With an old Juno or Poly6, it was difficult to make a bad sound, with these things, you would be lucky to patch in a handfull of decent sounds with the majority of the bad ones being of the "oops i died, how many men do i have left" category

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:01 pm

Again, still off topic...

I have both a MutiTrak and a Split 8 both which use the CEM3394. I'll admit that I was a bit let down when I got my MultiTrak. Programming is exactly limited to the functions on the chip. I would have liked to see additional voice architecture through additional CEM chips or something. Something like a second LFO or a ring mod. The Spilt 8 does implement a version of the Prophet 5'd Poly Mod which allows one voice to modulate the VFC of another.

Yet even with their limitations there are some good sounds available. Many of these sounds are rough and would not work for every style: ugly basses, fuzzy pads and the like.

Sorry JUGEL, I hope you find your manual.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:25 pm

hi jugel.
first of all, make sure balance is up 1/2 way or youll only hear some of the voices.
the split type is programmed by pressing the split mode button repeatedly. 2-4, 4-2, etc. you can change the split point by pressing split and then the key you want the split point to be set to.
there are 8 patches for split saving.
to save a split, press WRITE. then SET and use the upper row to save to that P patch. press SET again and youre back to normal mode.
to recall a preset, press SET and select, then once youve determined the split you want hit SET again.
i hope this helps.
as for the ax60 sound, its all subjective. i can get some great results out of most synths, and i feel the ax60 offers more options than something like a juno-106. so while the 106 may automatically sound good at any setting, the ax60 can do a lot more.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:57 pm

thanks minime123! I'll mess with it tonight. Beautiful synth .. totally surpassed my expectations. Can do all the things that I couldn't get a Juno 106 to do. And the squarewave basslines destroy the Juno 60 sitting right next to it.

I didn't realize that both units(Sixtrak and AX-60) used the same chips until I was waiting for both units to ship to me.

Both sound quite different. I guess people have problems programming with this chip .. but I really get along with them.

Neither sound ruff all the time... it's just that if you like ignore the ENV on the VCF because your are used to simple Rolands... then you should probably not own either of these synths.. Because you won't be able to tame it.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:06 pm

so that sounds like a "good trader alert" to me? ;)

i have never compared them side by side, but i wouldnt pick a 6trak over an ax60 or vice versa. theyre both cool synths. right now i favor the 6 trak more cause how many other analog synths let you stack 6 sounds per key? but the ax60 has its advantages too.

i feel that most synths have something good about them, or they wouldnt have put the time and money into producing them. id name a couple that i kind of wonder about, but id like to be able to sell them when we get stuck with them! ;)

mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

cbjlietuva
Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Post by cbjlietuva » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:11 pm

hey Jugel

I've got the AX-60 manual back on my main computer- I can PM you a link to it if you'd like. PM me your email

CBJ
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:20 pm

minime123 wrote: i can get some great results out of most synths
This is what it comes down to... I've finally gotten to this point to ... took me about 10 years.. I remember playing with a Sixtrak about 5 years ago and thought of it a sort of a joke.. Now I love it and work with it rather quickly... since it's so damn simple.

and btw - minime123 is a great seller. If a price seems steep(yet some items are a total steal) .. it's because it's a synth that is usually a lemon ... and his are not. You get what you pay that's for sure!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:05 am

JUGEL wrote:Neither sound ruff all the time... it's just that if you like ignore the ENV on the VCF because your are used to simple Rolands... then you should probably not own either of these synths.. Because you won't be able to tame it.
Roland made an analogue synth without an envelope to control the VCF? :lol:

Just because a synth is simple doesn't necessarily mean you can't "tame" it to do many different kinds of sounds. Take the PolySix for example, you can get powerful PWM strings with the sub and also warm, soft bells with the right filter and envelope settings.

Sometimes simple is just more effective. :thumbup:

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:13 am

JUGEL wrote:thanks minime123! I'll mess with it tonight. Beautiful synth .. totally surpassed my expectations. Can do all the things that I couldn't get a Juno 106 to do. And the squarewave basslines destroy the Juno 60 sitting right next to it.

I didn't realize that both units(Sixtrak and AX-60) used the same chips until I was waiting for both units to ship to me.

Both sound quite different. I guess people have problems programming with this chip .. but I really get along with them.

Neither sound ruff all the time... it's just that if you like ignore the ENV on the VCF because your are used to simple Rolands... then you should probably not own either of these synths.. Because you won't be able to tame it.
You should post some demos for us. A little a and b on the sixtrack and AX-60 would be interesting. What do you think about the ax-60 vs. the ax-80?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Post by hinotori » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:59 am

i found my pdf of the ax60 owners manual (in english) . if youre still without then give me a shout .
the ax60 is a very nice synth imho . though i may have to let mine go for some extra space and a new arrival planned .

gojira

Post by gojira » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:33 am

AX-60 is a nice analog poly, especially for the price.

Looking to get my hands on an S612+MD280 sampler/disc drive combo to hook up to the AX60. Anyone got one for sale?

Btw, thanks for the manual hinotori :D