Moving from the old to the New...Analog or mix?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pureoldsound

Moving from the old to the New...Analog or mix?

Post by pureoldsound » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:47 pm

I recently sold my OB-Xa which was in perfect condition no issues with it but I guess that CEM ripping sound got the best of me. It is a powerful synth no argues and it is warm and fat. I have a CS60 which in on the tech's bench, that synth on the other hand has some silky sound, the keyboard is very smooth, and the ring modulator is superb. It is a limited synth but the sound of it has always kept me from selling this synth. The OB was great but I guess it happened the same thing with my Pro-One too ripping and in your face. I wanted something smoother sounding yet warm and creamy.

I love the Jup 8 but after going through all this trouble with my CS I am a bit reluctant to even go that route. I have enjoyed my old synths very much (OB-Xa, Pro-One, Jup 6, CS60) but I have gotten to the point that I do not want to really go through more maintenance issues as well as scavenging for parts and pay ridiculous amount for tech fees to maintain old boards. I was thinking on moving to something new.

I don't want this new board to emulate any other synth, frankly there is no point in doing so and it is very time consuming and frustrating. I want to appreciate this new board for what it is.

My Want list:

Moog LP
Alesis A6
Waldorf Stromberg

I want to stay in the analog world, I know the Stromberg is a mix, it does have analog components, plus some of the goodies form the PPG. For the LP, I know it is not a Mini-Moog or a Voyager but the Voyager is too much for my needs. I’ve read some comments on the A6, some say that it is very SEM like sounding and it provides a lot of tools to work with on creating your own sound. I also like the fact that it has a sequencer, which is a plus for me.

I am not in a rush to buy anything at the moment I am thinking more like Oct or Nov. That way it will give me plenty of time to compare and think about it. I would really like some feedback on my choices or if I need to look on to something else. FWIW after reading so many threads about this the only synth that I might bend my rule for old synth might be an OB-8. I hear that is very smooth and not as ripping as the OB-Xa, plus it offers more tools.
Gear: Gauge Custom Guitar Double Cutaway, Voodoo Amps V-Plex 100w, 80's Man Bipoplar, Bob Burt Custom 2x12 cab, Ludwig super classic and classic Drums.

For sale:

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:38 pm

If you think the Voy is too much - well, the A6 can be pretty daunting too (menus, displays, etc). The reason I'd pick it is because the other two are monosynths, and you speak highly of the Jupe and OB; going back to mono might turn out to be a little frustrating.

If the Stromberg's got even -part- of the character of the Q - well, creamy, that's not what I'd call it. I had a Q rack and it was precise and cold; you'd have to do a lot of work to make it "warm".
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:17 pm

Well the A6 is polyphonic, and is something that I prefer, I thought about getting both the LP and the A6.
Gear: Gauge Custom Guitar Double Cutaway, Voodoo Amps V-Plex 100w, 80's Man Bipoplar, Bob Burt Custom 2x12 cab, Ludwig super classic and classic Drums.

For sale:

ReaPeR
Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Post by ReaPeR » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:54 pm

Yoozer wrote: If the Stromberg's got even -part- of the character of the Q - well, creamy, that's not what I'd call it. I had a Q rack and it was precise and cold; you'd have to do a lot of work to make it "warm".
yep the Q is really precise, but it's amazing on digital evolving pads, fat bass (its bass are deeper than my Evo's ones), and strange FX, and i think it will complement the other 2 synths in an excellent way

anyway the Q can sound really good in simple "analog" sounds too if you know ho to program it... here are some examples, using only 1 osc set to saw
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/2/1 ... 20bass.mp3
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/2/1 ... 20lead.mp3