Suggestions for Hardware Industrial Music Gear

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:22 pm

cause were old and bitter.

combichrist sucks, goggles suck..

But seriously.. I miss the diversity. I miss how you could go out and hear alternative, techno, goth and industrial all in the same night. Now it's just sort of a lousy rave where the music never changes and all the girls have bought the same dress.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:58 pm

metrosonus wrote:cause were old and bitter.

combichrist sucks, goggles suck..

But seriously.. I miss the diversity. I miss how you could go out and hear alternative, techno, goth and industrial all in the same night. Now it's just sort of a lousy rave where the music never changes and all the girls have bought the same dress.
Not a fan of fat goth chicks in bad Victorian garb?
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:24 pm

Ah! The SY22 - a wise choice. Mine has a frostwave sonic decimator, placed right next to the vector stick for some yummy tweakings. But you could add on any filter you fancy.

And the myth of 'industrial music' continues. Probably just fading memories of (younger) more exciting times???
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:02 pm

Oh yeah, a Nord Modular rack (or Micromodular) makes a cheap and incredibly versatile effect box. DIY was never so easy.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:35 pm

Not a fan of fat goth chicks in bad Victorian garb?
*sigh* replace "victorian garb" with "99 cent store witch costume"..

but that was dregs of yesteryear..

I mean all the rag doll haired, pvc mini dresses, huge boots, googgled attention whores with myspace pages and naughty *tee hee* websites. I can watch p**n for free without having to inflate someones ego :roll:
And the myth of 'industrial music' continues. Probably just fading memories of (younger) more exciting times???
Industrial at it's best is a concept like punk. But even as a concept it's more than 20 years old now. I just tend to cringe when the "concept" comes off the shelf at the hototpic and onto a myspace page where people troll for comments.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:23 pm

<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:41 pm

steam punk would be cool if done by people that could cite other science fiction rather than steam boy and helising, which again, comes back to my myspace photo oppertunity quandry.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:53 pm

metrosonus wrote:Nobody seems to like Front 242's up evil album, But to me, its by far the best 242 and the best example of what the EBM / industrial sound is. Tragedy 4 U coming in a close second.

I wonder when rebellion and individuality are going to come back into vogue... It just seems to me these days everything is just about a myspace photo oppertunity and nobody really cares about having anythign to say beyond that :(
up evil and evil off are soooo damned good.
important ebm albums right there!
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:00 am

metrosonus wrote:Nobody seems to like Front 242's up evil album, But to me, its by far the best 242 and the best example of what the EBM / industrial sound is. Tragedy 4 U coming in a close second.
that's the weirdest coincidence this week... i just happened to be playing Up Evil AND Tyranny for You today at work! while i don't enjoy U.E. as much as i used to, it's still a good album and a huge departure for Front 242 (at the time). T.F.Y. was the first 242 album i bought and one of their best, in my opinion.

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:36 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:Not a fan of fat goth chicks in bad Victorian garb?
you mean a thong and nipple tape? :pukeleft:

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:17 am

they make tape just for nipples?

all those years of using electrical tape for nothing.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:07 am

metrosonus wrote:steam punk would be cool if done by people that could cite other science fiction rather than steam boy and helising...
The Difference Engine! c.1990; pretty much cemented the genre as far as I'm concerned. Don't people read books any more?

But then, I am a crusty old industrialist. Just check my band's mySpace for proof, haha...

I agree with most of the other old-timers in this thread, by the way... and would also second the vote for the Electribe ESX sampler plus getting serious about loading it with your own samples... it is a crazy powerful box; per pattern you can have eight percussive/one-shot samples, two pitched/melodic samples, and two rex/acidized timesliced-loop samples all going independently with their own sequences, with a lot of FX and editable parameters per sample, and you can record automated parameter tweaks to each and every sample as a part of the pattern. Plus there's a line input. Geezo!
"The tb-303 sounds like poo and I think I could sell it for way more if I need some gas money, but no other poo sounds as pooey as it, plus it has a sequencer..." - Zamise

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:30 pm

hahah, i'm reading the difference engine right now!
very cool colaboration
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:41 am

kogmachine wrote:Anyone else sick of hearing Combichrist?
Like you wouldnt believe. Combichrist is insanely overrated.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:55 am

Salad Warehouse wrote:Two spoons, a shitty mic, and a distortion pedal. Seriously. Drums up the wazoo.

On the subject of synths, I asked this question once and got a response to this effect...

It's not about what you have, it's about how you use it, anything works, really

Other than that, get an ESQ-1
+1

This "industrial synth" thread is one of the most reaccuring threads here. It really needs to be stickied or something. In every thread (I've seen about 4), a couple of synths get constantly name dropped;

1) Darkstar

2) Pro-One

3)Access Virus

4)Evolver

5)ESQ-1

But seriously; there is no (insert genre here) synth!!!!. It is all about the production. Ok!?!?