mircon vs microQ

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

mircon vs microQ

Post by cartesia » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:53 pm

OK so on paper there's only one letter difference ;)

Just wondering what the comparison between the 2 reveals...

I'm actually thinking in my mind of the blofeld, but i think its fair to use the microQ as a comparison point since the blofeld isnt out yet..

I'm not bothered by 'how analogue' it sounds. . . I'm mainly looking for a 'do everything' synth that takes up a small amount of space (building a 'miniature' mobile rig that I want to be able to carry all at once. . .synth is the only spot left that i need to fill and these two fit the bill - multitimbral, polyphonic, SMALL)

Not interested in the virus which was the only other real option, because every man and his dog owns one, and im actually not that keen on the 'darker' sounds.

yburn

Post by yburn » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:19 pm

Editing the micron is manageable and the little sequencer is fun if not that useful. It would probably be best in the hands of someone who has done some programs before as you have to visualise a lot of what is going on. the MicroQ is a little easier to work with. The microQ doesn't sound like any other synth (apart from the Q) past or present. it has a bright sharp sound to it. it can be smooth with the filter pulled down but isn't as flexible as the micron in this department. Both score well for having different filter models and a wide palette of sounds. The Arp on the microQ is very good and is very useful in various styles of music. The MicroQ also has more polyphony and multitimbral parts. Overall it depends what you want. The Micron can sound big and lush, do 303 style bass parts, and also make nice punchy bass/ lead sounds and some good classical instrument emulation. The MicroQ has a very distinguishable sound so if you want emulations of older synths go for the Micron. On the other hand if you want something that sounds different to your other synths and can make a whole load of nice sounds with a decent programmable arp to boot the MicroQ would be better. I've had both and a Q, I think the microQ was probably the best value out of the three. If you are thinking about the micron I'd seriously consider going for the ION, it's a bit quicker to use and although I liked working on the Micron at first I found myself using it less and less when i could dial up similar results on other synths in less time.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

m03

Post by m03 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:18 pm

The MicroQ (both the regular and the Lite) has higher multitimbrality and polyphony, and can be smaller since it was available as a 2U rack unit. It also has more outputs. It's capable of sounding brighter than the Micron, and IIRC, there's an intentional design limitation that chops off the high frequencies on the Micron.

The interface of the Micron is more logically designed, IMHO, and easier to work with once you spend some time with it. The built-in effects are better, and it has atleast 2.5x-3x the amount of patch storage. It's also about half the price of the MicroQ w/ keys, or the same price as the rack model.

Having owned both, I kept the Micron.

felis

Post by felis » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:58 pm

They're both worth getting. If you need keys, I'd get the Micron first.

Micron controlling a Micro-Q would be a great little setup. 8)

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:12 pm

Somehow, I think of the MicroQ as "just a good synh," while the Micron comes closer to a workstation.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:57 pm

Cartesia, if you want a "do everything" synth, why are you looking @ VA's?

I've owned a MicroQ & now have an Ion. The Micro Q did sound a bit richer to me on pads & strings whereas a lot of people tout the authenticity of the Ion. I don't really care about authenticity and will just say that the MicroQ was more appealing to me than the Ion is now.

The MicroQ sounded "bigger", for lack of a better description, than the Ion and I used it for live work and recording. It meshed very well with the guitars.

Frodo, when you say "workstation" regarding the Micron, are you talking about how it emulates other analogs, rather than having its own character?
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

yburn

Post by yburn » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:51 pm

I think he's comparing it to a workstation in that it has a sequencer and effects built in. In reality I didn't find the sequencer useful for anything other than messing about with the synth out of the studio. You certainly can't compare it to Triton/ motif/ Fantom workstations and would be hard pressed to describe the Microns sequencer as being on par with those found in most grooveboxes ie Korg EA/ RA etc. The Micron is more like a limited groovebox than a workstation. On the other hand you get an excellent VA engine with a few bells and whistles in a small portable keyboard for the price of some VST plugins.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

Slidey_Knobss

Post by Slidey_Knobss » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:25 pm

how bout microX
Fatty... you're the one for me...

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: mircon vs microQ

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:17 pm

cartesia wrote:I'm not bothered by 'how analogue' it sounds. . . I'm mainly looking for a 'do everything' synth that takes up a small amount of space (building a 'miniature' mobile rig that I want to be able to carry all at once. . .synth is the only spot left that i need to fill and these two fit the bill - multitimbral, polyphonic, SMALL)
the MicroQ looks like a good choice, it have a wider range of sounds, small, light and have more multitimbral and polyphony.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:36 pm

yburn wrote:I think he's comparing it to a workstation in that it has a sequencer and effects built in. In reality I didn't find the sequencer useful for anything other than messing about with the synth out of the studio. You certainly can't compare it to Triton/ motif/ Fantom workstations and would be hard pressed to describe the Microns sequencer as being on par with those found in most grooveboxes ie Korg EA/ RA etc. The Micron is more like a limited groovebox than a workstation. On the other hand you get an excellent VA engine with a few bells and whistles in a small portable keyboard for the price of some VST plugins.
Yeah, the term "workstation" seems odd when describing the Micron.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:08 am

I'll ad mit, it's a loaded concept. It's just that not too many modeling synths are loaded with a full-fledged drum machine, as well as a sequencer. Not to mention, there was at least one instance when the Micron was included in the How To section of a Keyboard Magazine issue, along with the Motif, Fantom and Triton Ex.

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:18 am

felis wrote:They're both worth getting. If you need keys, I'd get the Micron first.

Micron controlling a Micro-Q would be a great little setup. 8)
Yea, I've had a micron and an Ion before, but i've never had the chance to keep one for long. That being said im totally going after a micron in the very near future. I really miss that machine...
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:59 am

BTW ... the Micron theoretically has no limit on its multimbrality ... only polyphony ...

You can use the sequencer to drive other synths ... personally, I find the Micron pertty useful and fun ... though pairing it with a Kaoss Pad 3 helped it A LOT!
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:02 am

Diametro wrote:BTW ... the Micron theoretically has no limit on its multimbrality ... only polyphony ...

You can use the sequencer to drive other synths ... personally, I find the Micron pertty useful and fun ... though pairing it with a Kaoss Pad 3 helped it A LOT!
Often, two can accomplish together what they can't come close to seperately. Does the Kaoss pad offer the little taste of salt or paprika that gives the Micron that perfect flavour? :)

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:09 am

Diametro wrote:BTW ... the Micron theoretically has no limit on its multimbrality ... only polyphony ...

I still kinda find it mind boggling how feature packed the micron is, not to mention the quality of the sound. Too bad it has such a minimalist interface. Oh well... :D
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.