"Sandstorm" synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

"Sandstorm" synth?

Post by Alex E » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:40 pm

I checked Google twice and I can't figure out what synth Darude used for that main synth sound in "Sandstorm" -Does anybody know?
soundcloud.com/vectron

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:57 pm

I created a similar sound on my nordlead using ringmod and extern distortion, so I think you can make it with most synths. Anyway I have heard two stories about this sound.
1. a sample he had kept from long time before the track
2. That it was a patch called Sandstorm for JP8080. Darude has a JP8080 in his studio, the supersaw is also pretty much used in many of his tracks.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:44 am

Its the supersaw....isn't it?

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:30 pm

No.

The sound can be done by putting a keytracking LFO (below audio rate) on the PWM or pitch to get a raspy edge. The supersaw doesn't come even into play I think.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:57 pm

It's a shame that not many synths offer key tracking to LFO rate for pulse width modulation purposes.

Either you set the PWM too heavily so the bass notes you are playing sound vibrato more than anything else, or the treble notes you play don't get that lovely chorusy PWM effect because the rate of the LFO is too low and doesn't have a dramatic effect.

The Ion is the only non-modular hardware synth I can think of where you can do this. I'd gather the Andromeda can do it too though.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:23 am

So it looks like this would be a good sound for my microkorg to create-
I think Cascada (or actually probably just some producer) did the same thing with the LFO in everytime we touch.
soundcloud.com/vectron

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:40 am

Ohhh...are we talking about the distorted X-MOD type sound sound? I thought that we were talking about the main pads/chords....