Need some feedback on A6, Chroma, OB-8, sonic project OP-X

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pureoldsound

Need some feedback on A6, Chroma, OB-8, sonic project OP-X

Post by pureoldsound » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:53 pm

After reading enough threads, reviews, listening to clips I think have narrowed things to these choices. All very different indeed but I think either one would work for my purposes.

I have a Yamaha CS-60 (which I have yet to find another synth to replace it), after some consideration I may get a Moog RME over the LP which I had planned for. I guess that 3rd OCS does make a difference, for me anyway.

Now I need to cover some aspects that the CS does not cover, like sweeps, bass, pads, Midi unless I can get a synth with an integrated sequencer and arpeggiator.

I have always wanted a Chroma, I loved the sound of it and at some point I do want one. However, power supply problems, tuning, the interface is not too friendly, and may be even more complicated to program than the A6. Still I am up to learning if I get it and the sound of it is what attracts me the most.

The OB-8, had the chance to get one a while back but I desisted of the idea because of the negative feedback towards it. I do remember cluster telling me to get it instead of the OB-Xa, because I was and still, after smooth sounds rather than that aggressive in your face sound ALA OB-Xa, Pro-One like. I should have listened but like always I didn’t…..

I’ve been contemplating the idea of the OP-X for over a year, or worst since it came out. Since I have no experience with software I stayed away from it. I saw some you tube videos and it sounds promising.

The Polaris, I just through that in there because I can get a good deal on it. But I know is no Chroma, plus there is some membrane and power supply issues that one have to take in consideration. Also it is very in your face like and kind of goes against what I am looking for.

The A6, there are lots of love-hate reviews about it. As with everything, what attract me about it are the endless possibilities on the modulation and sound creation. Also, parts are available in case of the worst, it has a built in sequencer, midi, split, layer, multitimbral, etc…..Based on the so many threads about it is very SEM (smooth) like sounding. Not as rough as the CEM based synth. What worries me is how fat it is…Some people that have owned the synth said that it is not that fat with 32 OSC in unison? Metallic sounding? (makes me think about the Jup 6), filters sound digital as well as the OSC?

I need some feedback from the experts. I’ve owned several Vintage analogs, and want to stay analog…Thanks
Gear: Gauge Custom Guitar Double Cutaway, Voodoo Amps V-Plex 100w, 80's Man Bipoplar, Bob Burt Custom 2x12 cab, Ludwig super classic and classic Drums.

For sale:

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:12 pm

Stay away from the A6 - I've seen 3 of them at music stores over the last few years and none of them worked. Seriously. That on top of all the reviews I've heard I'd steer clear away from it.

So are you thinking about an OB-8 because of the arpeggiator and MIDI? I will admit it is really nice to have factory MIDI on mine and makes recording / looping a whole lot easier. I would also think the sweeps and filter sounds on the Xa would sound a little better than the 8 because I think the 8 has software-controlled envelopes. Either way I own an OB-8 and couldn't be happier. For general polysynth chords, etc.. it's awesome.

Yeah, I don't think you'll ever find anything that will replace the CS-60 in terms of sound. Software can replicate the sounds but there isn't any soul. On that note, the Sonicprojects OPX does sound very good but if you're trying to decern the differences between the OB-Xa and OB-8, which are really very slight, you are obviously interested in a synth that has soul. Software won't make you happy in the end.
I like vintage synths....

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:35 pm

If you were not a huge fan of the OB-Xa, do not get a OB-8. There is not enough of a difference between the two (I've owned both and even at the same time). Honestly, if you were to go for an OB, I would say OB-X, although that wouldn't be quite what you asked for.

I had an A6 and I really liked it. So much so that I'm sort of looking out for another one to replace the one I stupidly sold. It's a good all around analog poly. Capable of lots of different things.

The Chroma is fantastic. Sounds great, but like you mentioned - it's not the easiest thing in the world to wrap your head around. But also, well worth it though. VERY organic sounding. Honestly, the Chroma is the closest I've come to the sound of my CS-80.

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:02 am

Thanks for the reply guys. I really liked the OB-Xa, it is a very powerful synth and I did make some patches that I liked a lot. I bought the OB-Xa because it was a great deal well below the 1K. I had the opportunity to buy a Chroma but after much thought about the reliability issue plus how complicated it was to program I desisted of the idea and went for a Jup 6 with the Europa. Which BTW was a great synth on its own and I managed to create some very nice sweeps with the Jup. By far one of the best LFOs I've played. It was smooth, liked it very much. On the other hand did not have the power of the OB.

This is one of those things that made you say why I didn’t just buy it in the first place!!!!! I should have just bought that Chroma, spent a bit more $$$ on a new power supply and retrofit midi and I would have been happy now....

I still feel the Chroma IMHO is a better sounding synth than the OB-Xa, even if it is a CEM based synth. There is something about it that I’ve yet to hear on another synth. I don’t know I just don’t want to spent $$$ on something that I might not like and have to sell it in the end and then have to spend more $$$ on something that I really wanted. That said the A6 seems to be very promising despite the negative feedbacks. I have to see if any local store here has one for me to play with.

For the Moog, I am aware that it is not the original Mini but, it does have that sweet Moog sound and three OSC to make very fat bass lines……

The CS is just unique even though it might be limited, the ribbon controller is nice, ring modulation is just wonderful, even if it is a 1 OSC synth it is pretty fat to my ears. I may do a Unison mod to it to get all the 8 OSC, that would be fun.

The OB-8 I am not too sold on the idea I have it as an option because of the additional options but not too into it. I think if I were to get another vintage it might be the Chroma.
FWIW the A6 seems to be what I really need, of course if it is the opposite of what many claimed to be.
Gear: Gauge Custom Guitar Double Cutaway, Voodoo Amps V-Plex 100w, 80's Man Bipoplar, Bob Burt Custom 2x12 cab, Ludwig super classic and classic Drums.

For sale:

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:12 am

Heath I remember when you got both the OB-Xa and the OB-8. Then you sold them for a 4 voice then sold that to fund the CS80. I guess I lost touch with analog heaven for a while.....I see that you got a Chroma and a OB-X very impressive....I do like the OB-X very much but I should have just gotten the Chroma....The A6 seems to be a great synth though but it has to surpass the Chroma sound though....I know they are both different but the Chroma has something…..Even if it is an 80’s synth to my ears sounds like it can accommodate to any still and time music….

For sale:

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:24 pm

Well, I met someone today that owns an Adromeda and a Voyager. Apparently he is the owner or seems to be in charge of a very small store here in Orlando. I asked him about the A6 and it seems the opposite of what many claimed to be. He was super cool, and he is bringing his A6 to the store for me to try it out. Couple of things that he mentioned and that I was aware and it might be a reason why people are drawn off the A6. The factory patches are terrible, also he explained why some people say that it sounds digital, mainly is because of the crappy effects that it has on board. He says that it is plenty fat and warm sounding.

I tried an Oasis today as well, very complex, nice sounding and impressive but not something that I might get. I know you need lots of time on it to really appreciate what it capable of but there is some dryness and stiffness out of it that I didn't like.

I am looking forward for the RME and A6 combo…..

For sale:

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:10 am

Don´t listen to the Andromeda critics. It may take some time, but at the end I promise you it can sound as fat as the fatest poly.
It´s not instant satisfaction, being myself an advanced programmer it took me almost a year to know exactly what to do and what not to do with it. At first there were things that it didn´t seem to make, but there´s workarounds for almost everything.
It´ll help if you have a solid knowledge of subtractive synthesis, as it´s like using a modular system.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:53 am

It's about two years I own the Andromeda, and a week a Voyager RME.

you have the Yamaha CS-60... well you probably need only the Voyager RME. It's great and it's not only the third OSC that makes it different from the LP. Read my thread on the Voyager RME vs Little phatty. The MOOG magic is both in the LP and the RME but they sound different. the LP is more aggressive and modern, the RME more classic and sweet. Listening to both I choosed the RME for sound, features and for all that knobs.

About the A6... it's an AMAZING synth.... but very very deep and complex. It can sound smooth as butter but I have done some of the most convincing MS 20 acid, raw, in your face sounds. It seems it can do near to everything. Presets are awful... you need to initialize a sound (and switch off all the MOD inside) and start from scratch. Do this and you get all your old school vintage sounds that a lot of ppl claims impossible to do on the A6. I really laugh at it. Remeber that the A6 hasn't the Moog magic... It's close... but not enough. The A6 wins hands down on lush phased vintage strings, brass, percussive sounds, FX (crazy modulation matrix) and the ribbon controller is very expressive. Yes some A6 were faulty. The new one no more... it's easy to check them out. I think the A6 gives a lot for the price...

If you can... RME + A6 is the right choice :D

about the A6 fatness... I have done some sounds kicking a@@ to the RME using only two OSC. It's FAT... the two filters gives you all the fattness you need.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:35 pm

Give a listen to this demo :

Only Andromeda, without effects.

http://media.audiofanzine.com/compos/21 ... l_demo.mp3

Perhaps it will helps you to have an idea how it sounds :wink:
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:21 am

I havent really had my Chroma long, but it really isnt all that tough to program if youve got patience. Its actually laid out very logically. You pretty much do have to look at the programming chart though while your doing it for reference. It does sound amazing, especially with a little chorus/reverb added and some tweaking. If anybodys got both an A6 and a Chroma Id like to know how they compare soundwise.

anybody ever experiment with a PEK and a few Polyevover racks?? :idea:

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:01 pm

How do you compare the Polaris to the Chroma?

For sale:

pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:02 pm

spookyman wrote:Give a listen to this demo :

Only Andromeda, without effects.

http://media.audiofanzine.com/compos/21 ... l_demo.mp3

Perhaps it will helps you to have an idea how it sounds :wink:
Are theses the original patches or patches that someone made?

For sale:

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:06 pm

Self Made Patches :wink:

It's allways better. And it's mostly the same for every old beast. Some presets are usefull, but other (pseudo Ac. Piano on OB-X...ha ha haaaa) are really not so serious. So it's better to put some personnal sounds in the synth memory.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:07 pm

I can hear a little similarity between the Polaris and the Chroma.....especially in the low end. The Polaris can sound a bit more "icy" at times in the highs and mids, at least to my ears. The Chroma sounds more organic to me, more earthy.....but that can change very quickly when you start digging into it. I think its definitely capable of a broader palette of sounds and textures. The Polaris is very nice sounding though.