recording/updating with alesis micron

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
goober

recording/updating with alesis micron

Post by goober » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:10 pm

So, I went to guitar center and bought a m audio usb uno http://www.music123.com/M-Audio-USB-Uno ... 9.Music123.
And I'm having trouble updating it can anyone provide specific instructions? I took the midi out cable and plugged it into the midi in port of the micron, then plugged the usb into the computer. Then I downloaded the new os which came as a sysex file. Then I downloaded a program called Midi-Ox, but I dont know what I exactly have to do to upgrade the OS. I tried stuff like send/receive sysex but I checked the OS on the micron and its the same. I also set it up to receive files on the micron.

Now on to my recording question, is it possible to record stuff through this midi interface, while I play my micron? I've heard it played in midi format through my speakers but is there anyway I can hear the original sound? Or can I only control softsynths with the micron? I was also thinking of buying a mic and then using some kind of recording software to record while I play through an amp, is that commonly done, will the quality be good? Really would appreciate the help, thanks.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:16 pm

for one, the alesis website or manual should have instructions for how to update the OS.

hook the micron up to the uno, open midi ox and click on the little tab that has a folder with an arrow pointing out. a window should pop up, pick the .sys file and then send it.

you cant record anything except key/control movements with your midi cables. they only transmit info, not audio. your soundcard should have a line in jack that you could play your micron through.

if you want to record, you need to look at getting an audio interface. while there is nothing wrong with playing a synth through a mic'ed amp, it is a bit long in the tooth when you can just go straight into a mixing desk into the computer.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

KBD_TRACKER

Re: recording/updating with alesis micron

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:14 am

goober wrote:So, I went to guitar center and bought a m audio usb uno http://www.music123.com/M-Audio-USB-Uno ... 9.Music123.
And I'm having trouble updating it can anyone provide specific instructions? I took the midi out cable and plugged it into the midi in port of the micron, then plugged the usb into the computer. Then I downloaded the new os which came as a sysex file. Then I downloaded a program called Midi-Ox, but I dont know what I exactly have to do to upgrade the OS. I tried stuff like send/receive sysex but I checked the OS on the micron and its the same. I also set it up to receive files on the micron.
well, the uno interface did not work for me. however an edirol interface did work for me. also bome's sendsx did work fine for me. in the ion/micron yahoo forum there are problems reported with midi ox compared with bomes sendsx. good luck ! http://www.bome.com/midi/sendsx/

goober

Post by goober » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:48 pm

oh boy, i hope i didn't waste 40 bucks, im going to keep trying.

DisasterArea
Gear: MIDI Patch Bay

Post by DisasterArea » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:42 am

First off, the MIDI in/out relationship with uno is counter to what we are all used to with MIDI (i.e. out form one unit goes to in on the other unit and vice versa). with the uno interface, the MIDI plug labled "in" is supposed to plug into the "in" on the device (your micron in this case), and MIDI out plugs into the MIDI out jack on the device.

You should be able to load the newer OS with nothing more than this and MIDI-OX (for my own unit, I used WinJammer, but I used MIDI-OX to update my friend's micron). Just download the OS file to a specific location on your compuer, plug in your micron via the uno as descibed above, open the file in MIDI-OX, turn the micron on such that it displays the current OS upon startup (I think this is done by holding down config as you press the power button, but check the manual to be sure), set the micron to receive the new OS, make sure MIDI-OX is going to send on the USB MIDI, then send it. If doen correctly, the micron display will state that it is currently loading the new OS.

DisasterArea

Post by DisasterArea » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:48 am

It occured to me that when setting up the micron, I do seem to remember having a bit of trouble w/ MIDI-OX; it may very well have been sendsx that I ended up using, but I am certain that one of the two was very straightforward for this.

goober

Post by goober » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:42 am

wow, it worked I seriously appreciate it man, I went to another forum asking the same directions, and no one really gave me straight instructions. Thank you very much, you saved me 40 bucks. One more question, I can load up ion patches to this thing right?

alphawolf260

Post by alphawolf260 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:33 pm

Yeah, in fact I think I think I remember hearing that the Ion patches that Alesis posted on their site would work with the Micron as well.
Current Noise Units: Alesis Micron, Yamaha DX-7, Ensoniq ESQ-1

goober

Post by goober » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:23 pm

ok so now i uploaded some ion soundbanks and i find out that a lot of the sounds the micron already has, so now my categories are all disorganized. A lot of the sounds are just in the "comp" category is there anyway I can just delete the whole system? Or do I have to delete each program one by one?

DisasterArea

Post by DisasterArea » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:00 am

My first suggestion for this would be to restore the original factory settings (assuming you haven't spent too much time programming already), a procedure which I am fairly certain is outlined in the manual (a decent one, though don't bother w/ the index). Otherwise, you will probably want to switch things around via sysex, the sendsx app would probably once again come in handy here. Just remember that sysex information is sent in packets, which can range for the micron from a single patch to a whole setup. Using larger chunks can make the work faster, but takes more keeping track in your mind (or on paper) of what's going where. Maybe try switching out patch by patch first, then move on to larger sets of data.