Multimoog: TIME TO GO ANALOG?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Diametro

Multimoog: TIME TO GO ANALOG?

Post by Diametro » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:35 pm

I have a chance to buy one of these ...

Haven't seen it yet ... but apparently it's in great shape. Is this a good starter analog?

What should I look for when I demo it?
JP8,JP6,FanX7,VSynthXT;NI Maschine; KP3x2;RE-201;MOTU828mk2;HS80ms

MY NEW ALBUM ... 70s Electronica / Synth Songwriting
http://electrocabaret.bandcamp.com/

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:45 pm

It's a decent Moog. Good beginner analong mono synth. I would definately check the ribbon controller.

Z

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:33 am

Thanks for the reply ...

Well, I went and played it ... and frankly, the sound didn't really grab me ...

it was only in OK shape ... the ribbon controller worked but looked like the top layer of whatever material was removed ...

... the controls seemed a little clunky and the keybed seems like it lost its aftertouch ... is that possible? ... I was under the impression it had aftertouch ...

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:01 am

Diametro wrote:... the controls seemed a little clunky and the keybed seems like it lost its aftertouch ... is that possible? ... I was under the impression it had aftertouch ...
I don't know of any Moogs that have aftertouch. I believe the Polymoog is the only Moog synth with velocity sensitivity. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A buddy of mine had a Multimoog in the late 80's. I used to make "farty" bass sounds and FX with it. We were just happy to have any Moog synth back then.

Z

mok

Post by mok » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:30 am

Multimoog has something called "force sensor" - a bar that runs across the underside of the keybed that sends a varying voltage to control things like filter cutoff, pitch, waveshape, etc. very much like "channel pressure" in MIDI. Controls on the synth as a whole are 'clunky' like most late 70's Moog, but definitely usable to create really cool mono 2-osc + sub osc sounds. Ribbon is pretty easily replaced and the synth has a load of tweakable pots on the rear for easy access to tuning. I love mine - samples (and my own patch sheet!) can be found on my twango space. Enjoy!

speculator

Post by speculator » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:41 am

it has aftertouch.. i just got one.. i like it.. i had a micromoog before and it is very similar.. you have to turn the switches and knobs and things to the right setting to turn the aftertouch on.. are you sure it was on?

how much is the person asking.?

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:21 am

$650 ... and I'm sure that can be talked down ...

There was some kind of maintenance sheet, and it seemed to indicate something regarding the keys didn't work ... ???

... the person selling it is a second-party ... but reliable ...

it's very possible I didn't have the right settings selected ...

moogplayer
Gear: minimoog, synare PS2, roland vp-330, monomachine, roland paraphonic rs-505, roland sh2, roland rs-09, boss dr-55, synsonics drums, moog prodigy

Post by moogplayer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:48 pm

it will take some cash and time to get that one up and running to the way you'd like it.

for a little more $$$ I'd get a Moog Source, or maybe a SC Pro One
minimoog, synare PS2, roland vp-330, monomachine, roland paraphonic rs-505, roland sh2, roland rs-09, boss dr-55, synsonics drums, moog prodigy

Multiplex
http://multiplexmusic.bandcamp.com

Muniq
http://muniq.bandcamp.com

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Z » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:54 pm

mok wrote:Multimoog has something called "force sensor" - a bar that runs across the underside of the keybed that sends a varying voltage to control things like filter cutoff, pitch, waveshape, etc. very much like "channel pressure" in MIDI. Controls on the synth as a whole are 'clunky' like most late 70's Moog, but definitely usable to create really cool mono 2-osc + sub osc sounds. Ribbon is pretty easily replaced and the synth has a load of tweakable pots on the rear for easy access to tuning. I love mine - samples (and my own patch sheet!) can be found on my twango space. Enjoy!
I did not know that. I don't remember there being any controlls on the panel to engage or route the sensor. Then again, it was my buddy's and that that was almost 20 years ago.

Do any other Moogs have this sensor?

Z

mok

Post by mok » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:51 pm

I did not know that. I don't remember there being any controlls on the panel to engage or route the sensor. Then again, it was my buddy's and that that was almost 20 years ago.

Do any other Moogs have this sensor?
I don't think so - it's unique in Moog-land. It's not very sensitive (at least mine isn't) - you have to give it some 'force' to engage, but it definitely works like you think it should, and very cool to modulate waveshape and hard-sync with.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:15 pm

The contemporary Minitmoog also features touch sensitivity/aftertouch.
The only other vintage Moog I can think of that came with a touch-sensitive
keyboard was the Polymoog.

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

speculator

Post by speculator » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:46 pm

i think 650 is a good price.. i know a guy selling a fixed up perfect one for 975..

it depends on what you want to do.. if you want to control it with sequencers and stuff you need a midi converter.. so keep that in mind.. but for just playing, i think it is way nicer than the pro one.. but if you just want to trigger some arpeggios and sequences, get the pro one or something similar..

the multimoog is more of a player synth... it also has the ext input which can lead to some freaking out and experimental stuff..

my aftertouch works well.. not quite as sensitive as the cs50 i have.. but it is a mono synth.. so it isn't that hard to concentrate on pushing the keys a little harder..

bigfoot-studios
No Longer Registered

Post by bigfoot-studios » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:24 pm

Micke wrote:The contemporary Minitmoog also features touch sensitivity/aftertouch.
The only other vintage Moog I can think of that came with a touch-sensitive
keyboard was the Polymoog.
Liberation has it too.

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:12 am

Thanks for all the responses and insight.

I just don't think this is the analog for me.

And if something doesn't grab you ...

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:31 pm

And if something doesn't grab you ...

You may not know what you are looking at.

You will kick yourself later.