Access viruses

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
matg85

Access viruses

Post by matg85 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:36 pm

I've heard there very good but do they sound as good as the best analogue gear? can they fathfully replicate the warmth and fattness?

Also is the sound improved on the new TI model or is it just more powerful in terms of polyphony etc?

ascdi

Post by ascdi » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:12 pm

No. Maybe? Yes.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Access viruses

Post by Yoozer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:23 pm

matg85 wrote:I've heard there very good but do they sound as good as the best analogue gear? can they fathfully replicate the warmth and fattness?
Listen to this demo here: http://homepage.mac.com/mwalthius/PolarDemo1.mp3

(TI Polar)

Everyone and their cousin here will tell you that if you want the warm analog stuff you should get the warm analog stuff. The Virus can do so much more than that that it'd be a shame to just use it for that.
Also is the sound improved on the new TI model
Only for the new oscillator models, Hypersaw etc.
or is it just more powerful in terms of polyphony etc?
That too, plus now all effects (including reverb and delay) are truly multitimbral.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:52 pm

matg85 wrote:I've heard there very good but do they sound as good as the best analogue gear?
"Good" depends on what results you are going for. If by 'good' you mean 'it sounds just like an analog synth' then the Virus sounds quite good. Out of all VA synths, the only synth that can beat it for analogue-ness is the Alesis Ion.
can they fathfully replicate the warmth and fattness?
It comes close in terms of warmth because the Virus has an "initial phase" parameter that is usually set to random. But sometimes its annoying (I find it makes bass patches drift between strong and weak). So it comes close but doesnt replicate it exactly. As for fatness, again its close, but doesnt nail it perfectly.

To be honest, if your main criteria for a VA is "how analogue does it sound?" you would be better off with an Alesis Ion.
Also is the sound improved on the new TI model or is it just more powerful in terms of polyphony etc?
I find that the internal mixer of the TI has more headroom and it sounds a bit less muddy. Otherwise the difference is only in capabilities. The TI has wavetable synthesis as well as granular and lots of other weird stuff.

Even though Virii generally are good at sounding analogue, it is not a machine designed to replicate vintage analog synthesis. It does much more. If you strictly want a vintage replicator, get an Alesis Ion. If you want something that can do analog, wavetable, fx processing, digital, then get a Virus.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:53 pm

I've heard the Virus lacks in the hi department has to be swamped in FX to sound decent hence the extensive onboard FX.

Its what I heard? :?

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:58 pm

Soundwave wrote:I've heard the Virus lacks in the hi department has to be swamped in FX to sound decent hence the extensive onboard FX.

The Virus does lack power in its high frequencies, yes. However it does sound decent even without FX and no, it does not need to be swamped in reverb and delay.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

parke02

Post by parke02 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:11 am

Check out this thread on the KVR forums:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186645

Apparently there are many ppl that are convinced the Zebra2 soft synth can sound as good as or better than the Virus TI. The developer is definitely very talented, and as result of the thread, actually purchased the TI in order to see how much its improved compared to his Virus A. Howard Scarr, the writer of the Virus TI tutorial manual and patch designer for the Virus' is participating in the thread and claims to have sold his TI since he started using Zebra. He even released a patch bank that mimics one of the ROM banks he designed for the Virus.

Whether or not you like the sound of the Virus, Zebra is definitely one software synth to check out and the thread is an interesting read.

Eugene

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:03 am

Soundwave wrote:I've heard the Virus lacks in the hi department has to be swamped in FX to sound decent hence the extensive onboard FX.

Well as far as my virus is concerned, I sometimes find the highs to be TOO powerful.

It can make some of the most powerful and aggressive leads i've ever heard, without any fx.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:53 am

Can the virus sound analog?

No.

Do you want them to?

Maybe.

Zebra is a modulair synth, so you should be able to recreate the virus exactly with this (and other soft modulairs) synth.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:27 am

Dirk wrote:Can the virus sound analog?

No.
Will anyone listening to a demo of a certain patch on the Virus compared to a patch on an actual analog always hear which is the Virus and which is the analog?

No ;).
Zebra is a modulair synth, so you should be able to recreate the virus exactly with this (and other soft modulairs) synth.
Only the structure, not the sound.

As for the effects; they're very much a contribution to the Virus sound, and they aren't just tacked on; you can modulate the settings.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:09 am

Yoozer wrote:
Only the structure, not the sound.
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopi ... an use).
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:08 pm

I don't know of any digital modulars that let you go down to the actual code level. In terms of complexity, Reaktor goes deeper than the G2, but both still don't allow you to execute certain code.

Provided that it'd be possible to reverse-engineer this code in the first place.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:14 pm

Yoozer wrote:I don't know of any digital modulars that let you go down to the actual code level.
Outsim Synthmaker goes pretty close I think.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:31 pm

Yoozer wrote:
matg85 wrote:I've heard there very good but do they sound as good as the best analogue gear? can they fathfully replicate the warmth and fattness?
Listen to this demo here: http://homepage.mac.com/mwalthius/PolarDemo1.mp3

(TI Polar)

Everyone and their cousin here will tell you that if you want the warm analog stuff you should get the warm analog stuff. The Virus can do so much more than that that it'd be a shame to just use it for that.
Also is the sound improved on the new TI model
Only for the new oscillator models, Hypersaw etc.
or is it just more powerful in terms of polyphony etc?
That too, plus now all effects (including reverb and delay) are truly multitimbral.
let's clarify - it would be a shame to use the Virus to get the 'warm analog stuff' because it doesn't sound analog.

I've finally learned that the Virus (after trying out 3 different models over the years) really just doesn't do it for me. If you want analog, get analog. If you like that Virus sound (and it does have one) then get a Virus. The TI adds features and the mod routings are better, but if you want a va style synth that really modulates well, get a Waldorf Q.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:33 pm

parke02 wrote:Check out this thread on the KVR forums:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186645

Apparently there are many ppl that are convinced the Zebra2 soft synth can sound as good as or better than the Virus TI. The developer is definitely very talented, and as result of the thread, actually purchased the TI in order to see how much its improved compared to his Virus A. Howard Scarr, the writer of the Virus TI tutorial manual and patch designer for the Virus' is participating in the thread and claims to have sold his TI since he started using Zebra. He even released a patch bank that mimics one of the ROM banks he designed for the Virus.

Whether or not you like the sound of the Virus, Zebra is definitely one software synth to check out and the thread is an interesting read.

Eugene
I think that Zebra 2 sounds WAY better than the Virus, and in addition allows much more fluid mangulation of the sounds.