Beware the storm that gathers here...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:22 am

Dave Bryce wrote:Huh? First I've heard of that....I've never noticed any note delay on mine.
it was at the same Guitar Center in Arlington Heights IL i was able to crash an E-Mu Command Station in 15 seconds flat at, so it's possible that place is a black hole of electrons.

or it could have been set up really stupid. it was Guitar Center.

i chalked it up to A/D/D/A delay at the time but i shouldn't be able to sense that. also like i said it had been a long time since i'd played a digitally-keyed synth.
http://stgsoundlabs.com is where i sell things
http://suitandtieguy.com is my personal/music website
http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com is my LJ, no blogistan for STG yo.

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:23 am

Hey, STG. I don't get the delay you're speaking of, either. If it were a prevalent issue I think by now more people would have mentioned it.

submodern

Post by submodern » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:26 am

Wow, this sounds fantastic. Can't wait to try one out!

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:26 am

sizzlemeister wrote:Hey, STG. I don't get the delay you're speaking of, either. If it were a prevalent issue I think by now more people would have mentioned it.
i will assume that my immediate reaction that there's a black hole convertor underneath the Arlington Heights Guitar Center is correct then.

i'm looking forward to seeing this thing. i had been planning on buying a Jupiter 8 this year but this sounds like a really exciting development.
http://stgsoundlabs.com is where i sell things
http://suitandtieguy.com is my personal/music website
http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com is my LJ, no blogistan for STG yo.

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:34 am

So, when the server crashes again, like, probably later tonight, y'all can blame DB.

I'm just sayin'...

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:38 am

one question

are the oscillators DCO?

I thought the evo's oscillators couldn't touch the sound of the prophet 5, 600's oscillators as far as raw fatness. I will cry if the new p8 oscillators aren't fat enough sounding (like the evo's IMHO) + filter stepping will make me cry too.
for sale/trade: EML-101

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:39 am

Server's already slow as h**l.

So, if these things are "shipping", then to whom? I don't recall any order form being available. What does a fella have to do to get one shipped to said fella?

Dave Bryce

Post by Dave Bryce » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:44 am

nadafarms wrote:one question

are the oscillators DCO?
Yes.
I thought the evo's oscillators couldn't touch the sound of the prophet 5, 600's oscillators as far as raw fatness. I will cry if the new p8 oscillators aren't fat enough sounding (like the evo's IMHO)
As I mentioned - they're tweaked differently and sound different than the Evo's oscs - fairly noticeably, I think. IIRC, Dave messed with the Oscillator Slop parameter a bit as well.

You'll be able to hear them for yourself soon enough. That'll be the only test that really matters....
+ filter stepping will make me cry too.
You're joking, right? :D

dB
DSI
Alesis Andromeda (x2)/QS8/QSR/NanoBass/Ion, Casio VZ10M, DSI PEK (x2)/PER/MEK/P'08, Korg M3/WSSR/M1R, Kurzweil K2000/PC3, Macbeth M5, heavily modded MiniMoog, Nord Electro 2, Oberheim OB5, Roland V-Synth XT/MKS80/MKS70/JD990/D550, Yamaha MOTIF ES8

Dave Bryce

Post by Dave Bryce » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:46 am

SecretAsianMan wrote:So, if these things are "shipping", then to whom? I don't recall any order form being available. What does a fella have to do to get one shipped to said fella?
Well, until a few hours ago, no one knew about them...so we haven't taken any orders yet...but all authorized DSI dealers will probably carry it.

dB
DSI
Alesis Andromeda (x2)/QS8/QSR/NanoBass/Ion, Casio VZ10M, DSI PEK (x2)/PER/MEK/P'08, Korg M3/WSSR/M1R, Kurzweil K2000/PC3, Macbeth M5, heavily modded MiniMoog, Nord Electro 2, Oberheim OB5, Roland V-Synth XT/MKS80/MKS70/JD990/D550, Yamaha MOTIF ES8

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:27 am

edit:

dear guy below me:

dont be a smarmy son of a b***h

WINK
Last edited by mome rath on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
god elton can't you suck

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:32 am

mome rath wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:SUITANDTIEGUY
ok good i just told jason the wrong price on the phone

vse seems to be loading slower than usual

COULD IT BE BECAUSE OF THIS THREAD??!

zing
you think someone might find this of interest? :wink:

DocT

Post by DocT » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:53 am

sizzlemeister wrote: best thing I did with my PEK/MED combo was to erase all of the presets.
That's what synth owners are supposed to do. Presets are part of the packaging.
A few days after programming I always dislike my own presets and start making new ones for new tracks.
No offense, but I hope you guys drastically increased the quality standards on the presets -
We strictly programmed according to ISO 9000 QM standards. Might be though that we didn't meet everyones taste ;)

Postblank

Post by Postblank » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:05 am

Dave Bryce wrote:
Dave Bryce wrote:As far as the price point goes..$2199 MSRP, $1999 MAP.
I forgot to mention - that's for the regular edition. The special edition with the red light-up wheels, 30th anniversary Prophet plaque and Dave's signature (each unit hand signed) will be a bit more....

dB
DSI
Is this whole venture going to be a "fixture" or is this kind of a "Hey, this would be neat to do for a bit?"

This is ridiculous, the XS just got knocked down a step on my priority list.

I'll bet Roger O'Donnell already has one in a box with his name on it, waiting ti be sent out.
Keys: Wurlitzer 200A, Nord Electro 2, Arp Omni 2, Yamaha DX-7 II FD, Casio VL-Tone 1, Roland JX-10

REwire

Post by REwire » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:21 am

I think the filter will make all the difference. I hope it has at least a BandPass mode, that'll give it something few Poly Analogs ever did. Analog Chorus would rule too, get that DCO Juno sound as well. I'm probably hoping too much...
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

astraeus000

Post by astraeus000 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:22 am

does it give the A6 a run for its money soundwise???

oh boy, cant wait for soundbites!

at that price I imagine we'll be seeing the prices on alot of old analogs coming down on Ebay....