Beware the storm that gathers here...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
F5D

Post by F5D » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:46 pm

Wow. Sounds great! I hope the final price will be the one mentioned here. I really like vintage analog synths but I don't want to buy them because you never know when they will break down. Most of them are more than 20 years old which is about the maximum for any electronic device. I will gladly purchase a prophet 8 because it's new and will last alot longer than any second hand vintage synth.

However, I was wondering, is the signal path fully analog or does it have a/d & d/a conversions like the evolver has? I also hope that it has a noise generator (I always add a little bit noise to almost every sound to make them more interesting). How about knobs, as many as the original p5?

Can't wait to see a picture of the synth! :D
F5D @ SoundCloud, futuresounddesign.com - sounds for your synthesizers

Bob-omb

Post by Bob-omb » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:50 pm

Hmm...I actually thinking of buying an Andromeda at the moment. But this sounds tempting too. :)

steveman

Post by steveman » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:50 pm

:shock: WOOOHOOO!!! :D

As long as it looks as good as the original :)

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:51 pm

this sounds really great!

I knew something like this was in the works but I won't say how I came to know ;)

One major thing gets me from what I see now.

Not multitimbral? I just don't get that, in this day that should be built in to all polysynths, particularly analog ones, as it can be useful to have 8 monosynths in a box as well as an 8 voice poly, and to be able to divide them as you wish. Even if you don;t get separate voice outputs (whihc would be nice but adds to the cost) multitimbrality is a huge hit to the synth.

other than that, its just preferences. good and plentiful mod routings, wuld be nice to have VCO's instead, maybe an ability to stop the DCO clock and let em ride somewhat stable would be cool, but not critical.

Personally I think mod routings are key, but it always needs to be done so that it is easy to get to and to get around. Soe synths do that well, others not so well. I think DSI can do it right. it will probably have at minimum the P5 mod routings, would be nice to have individual mod amounts and sources as it probably will have, but I hope the cut down part isn't in architecture or sound. it'll still rock even if it's a 2008 juno 60 ;)

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:51 pm

elmacaco wrote: One major thing gets me from what I see now.
...and so it begins. ;)
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

WWBJD

Post by WWBJD » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:00 pm

I'd like to order one.. how can I order one?
6, 60, 600 and other assorted things.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:24 pm

WWBJD wrote:I'd like to order one.. how can I order one?
Once stores have them in stock...or DSI updates their site. DB was nice enough to let everyone here know before anyone else...exercise some patience sir. :wink:
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

steveman

Post by steveman » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:54 pm

elmacaco wrote: Not multitimbral? I just don't get that, in this day that should be built in to all polysynths, particularly analog ones, as it can be useful to have 8 monosynths in a box as well as an 8 voice poly, and to be able to divide them as you wish. Even if you don;t get separate voice outputs (whihc would be nice but adds to the cost) multitimbrality is a huge hit to the synth.
Multitimbrality is very hard to do in the analogue domain. Modern multitimbral synths use 'dynamic voice allocation', basically you don't have a fixed no. of voices per sound. I don't think there were any truly multitimbral analogues before modern machines like the Andromeda. They almost always relied on note / keyboard splits, or had a fixed no. of voices per part.
It's easy to change sounds invisibly on the fly in the digital domain, just swap sounds on a 'zero crossing'. In the analogue domain it's much harder.

With 8 notes 2 parts is enough. Or maybe we just wait for the mono version :wink:

companyofquail

Post by companyofquail » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:31 pm

will this synth feature a multimode that is savable? also how many sequencers are in it? and lastly how many initial units will be available, i am hurting to preorder one of these and i think a lot of us are going to be scrambling to get cash in order to pay for this.

F5D

Post by F5D » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:34 pm

I have never used any of my synths multitimbrally. 8 voices & monotimbral sounds good to me. 8 part multitimbrality + 8 outputs would put the price higher.
F5D @ SoundCloud, futuresounddesign.com - sounds for your synthesizers

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:41 pm

steveman wrote:
elmacaco wrote: Not multitimbral? I just don't get that, in this day that should be built in to all polysynths, particularly analog ones, as it can be useful to have 8 monosynths in a box as well as an 8 voice poly, and to be able to divide them as you wish. Even if you don;t get separate voice outputs (whihc would be nice but adds to the cost) multitimbrality is a huge hit to the synth.
Multitimbrality is very hard to do in the analogue domain. Modern multitimbral synths use 'dynamic voice allocation', basically you don't have a fixed no. of voices per sound. I don't think there were any truly multitimbral analogues before modern machines like the Andromeda. They almost always relied on note / keyboard splits, or had a fixed no. of voices per part.
It's easy to change sounds invisibly on the fly in the digital domain, just swap sounds on a 'zero crossing'. In the analogue domain it's much harder.

With 8 notes 2 parts is enough. Or maybe we just wait for the mono version :wink:
Off the top of me head...the xpander had a GREAT multitimbral setup.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:44 pm

the fact that person x or y doesn't use the multitimbral features of a synth doesn't mean that it's not legitimate to reject one because it isn't multimbral.

If you are a PLAYER and play lots of chords, I can see how it might not matter. If you like to use a step sequencer, and primarily play mono passages, I'm not sure how having a multimbral setup isn't an advantage. Not that it totally rules out the synth - but it better sound awfully good, and have great mod routings, etc, since it's at a disadvantage as far as I'm concerned. The Polyevolver didn't quite make the cutoff for me, while the Sunsyn did.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:47 pm

i predict the "Gear For Sale" forum is going to be mighty popular in the next few weeks! bring on the deals! :lol:

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:53 pm

steveman wrote: I don't think there were any truly multitimbral analogues before modern machines like the Andromeda
Sequential Six Trak.
Akai VX600

bigfoot-studios
No Longer Registered

Post by bigfoot-studios » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:57 pm

Not multitimbral is a deal-breaker for me. I was considering selling my PEK for one of these but not any more.