Beware the storm that gathers here...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
abrokenframe

Post by abrokenframe » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:46 pm

so how long have you guys been working on it and keeping it a secret?
ARPPiano,ax60,cz101,cz3000,evolver,p08,emulatorII,mirage,esq1,r100,ddd1,dss1,dw8/6000,er1,lambda,microkorg,poly6,poly800,sr120,rhythmace,d50,d70,d110,hs60,jd800,jp8000,juno60,jupiter8,jx8p,rs09,rs202,tr727,drumtraks,cs50,cs6x,dx7,rx5,dr880,rhodes,b2

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:48 pm

so, what's with them pictures ????

8) 8) 8) 8)

howdy, Drool.. :wink:

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:50 pm

Dave Bryce wrote:
SecretAsianMan wrote:If enough people demanded it, I bet Dave would add multi-timbral operation via a software upgrade at some later date.
You'd lose. :idea:

It's not multitimbral, nor (I believe) will it ever be. If that's something you need in a single unit, this isn't the instrument for you.

At the end of the day, there is no instrument that's perfect for everyone....nor should there be. Hey, I spent a ton of $$ last year on a Macbeth M5 - mono, no MIDI, no patch memory...not even a freakin' manual...but ohmygod, the sound...

As someone who thinks that the sound of an instrument is the most important thing, I've never understood how someone can dismiss an instrument without hearing it.

dB
DSI
I agree with this 100%. That a synth is multitimbral isn't essential to me. I also picked up an m5 in the last year, and it certainly isn't multimbral. But it has, as Dave has expressed, the 'ohmygod' sound. I can really see myself getting into a p8 - but I want to hear it, see what people say about it, and take a look at what exactly the capabilities are. If I am going to be using primarily a step sequencer (either the p8 sequencer, or another) - I'd prefer a polyphonic synth to be multitimbral. It certainly adds value TO ME. But if the thing sounds fantastic, well that makes up for a lot. So, I'm not a skeptic, nor am I ready to sell my soul simply because a budget analog poly synth is about to be released. Let's just say that my ears have perked up a little...but I still plan to buy my Cwejman s1 mII in the next few days instead, as far as an immediate purchase.

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:03 am

So since the synth has splits and layers, it is officially bitimbral, right?
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:05 am

If it receives on 1 MIDI channel then it's fake bitimbral (but damnit, I don't care about that).

(enough to be useful provided that you can shift the octaves up and down the wazoo).

See, it's very simple; as I said, you either want to stack some nice leads and blow up speakers or you want to do the arpeggiator + pad combo. And a poodle hairdo. And dayglo sweatbands plus a white shirt with ripped off sleeves.

oh, wait
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:36 am

16 pages in two days :shock: vultures - all of you :!:

anywho, another interesting synth that is way out of my price range. woo-hoo. :roll:

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:36 am

Most every synth made today is quite physically capable of handling multitimbral mode; it's just he software that limits it.
That's not true for analog synths. If you want to make it multitimbral, you have to add a whole set of CV output circuits for each part. So, let's say, that you have a polysynth with 32 voltage controlled parameters. If it's monotimbral, you have to build 32 S&H cells, but let's say, that you want to make it 8-part - then you need 8x32 of them. In case of modern analog polys, it's hardware problem, because dynamic voice allocation is just adding few lines to key assigner - and modern CPUs are fast enough to handle it, and update patch data quickly, but adding another CV outputs topatch memory board may be difficult and expensive.

On this photo you may see almost-finished patch memory board for polysynth I'm building. It's monotimbral, and has 32 CV outs. Imagine multiplying this by 8 - that would be needed to obtain 8-part multitimbrality in analog domain...
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:41 am

adamstan wrote:On this photo you may see almost-finished patch memory board for polysynth I'm building. It's monotimbral, and has 32 CV outs.
wow, niceee. so what sound circuitry will it be based on ? discrete, some ICS, old ICs(CEM,SSM) etc ?? will it have a porogramming panel too ?

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:50 am

clusterchord wrote: wow, niceee. so what sound circuitry will it be based on ? discrete, some ICS, old ICs(CEM,SSM) etc ?? will it have a porogramming panel too ?
I think it may be called an "OP-AMP based" synth. It will feature two Rene Schmitz's VCO4 per voice, (one with simple flip-flop sub-osc and traingle/sine waveshaper) with sync and linear fm, noise source, moog ladder VCF, ring modulator, 3 PIC-based Tom Wilthshire's ADSRs, and 3 global LFOs.

All boards are assembled, and are waiting in a box under my desk for mounting them in the case and wiring. And then, the calibration and tuning mayhem will begin ;-)

But I think it is OT (although Prophet was one of inspirations for starting this project ;-) ) so maybe it would be better to start new thread.

Some more photos:

Oscillator board

Filter board

UL1111 chips are polish replacement for CA3046 (made in early 80's)
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

raffor
No Longer Registered

Post by raffor » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:57 am

clusterchord wrote:so, what's with them pictures ????

8) 8) 8) 8)

Last edited by raffor on Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:06 am

raffor wrote:
clusterchord wrote:so, what's with them pictures ????

8) 8) 8) 8)

http://home.comcast.net/~xpander/P8.jpg
Much better looking without the blue. Still would have preferred vintage looking knobs.

hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:14 am

I already knew, I already knew!!! For a month :>P
(that's called, "perks of writing for a magazine"... but they NDA'd me so I had to keep my trap shut)

Sounds cool to me, I'm as anxious as everyone else, but from the little pic, it seems to have the same problem that MEK/PEK have... no row of program change buttons like a real Prophet. This isn't a biggie if you only use it in the studio, but having two little up/down increment buttons is a major pain in the a*s when you're playing live, especially if you're using two patches that aren't adjacent.

Either way, I plan on A/B'ing this guy with my rev. 3.2 Prophet for the real deal comparo...

mitchell
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:34 am

sizzlemeister wrote:
hageir wrote:
Regardless..
Irregardless isn't a word.
You have to be kidding me with this comment, now, here in this thread. Get a life, loser.
hey no need to get hasty mo%$erf#%&er :)
I was just kiddin'
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:36 am

Jeez, people are never satisfied.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:43 am

spookyman wrote:Ask once Roland, Korg or Yamaha to build a analog synth in 2007........what will be the answer ?

"No investment for this kind of market, to small"

And what are people asking on forums a little bit everywhere ?

"Please, make some polyphonic analog stuff again."

Dave Smith dit it again...So respect for the work he is doing. :!:
hear hear:!: :D
Do you even post on vse bro?