Beware the storm that gathers here...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Dave Bryce
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 10:48 pm

Post by Dave Bryce » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:38 am

megawatt wrote:Thank you DB for the sneak-peek.
My pleasure.

It's really a lot of fun getting to share it with the people who really care about things like this before anyone else hears about it - 'preciate the opportunity. :cool:
It's obvious folks are passionate.
W3rd. :D

dB
DSI
Alesis Andromeda (x2)/QS8/QSR/NanoBass/Ion, Casio VZ10M, DSI PEK (x2)/PER/MEK/P'08, Korg M3/WSSR/M1R, Kurzweil K2000/PC3, Macbeth M5, heavily modded MiniMoog, Nord Electro 2, Oberheim OB5, Roland V-Synth XT/MKS80/MKS70/JD990/D550, Yamaha MOTIF ES8

User avatar
neandrewthal
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:43 am
Location: Ontari-ari-o

Post by neandrewthal » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:52 am

To those who wish the prophet 8 was multi-timbral:

For god's sake it's a low priced analog polysynth. If you want a multimbral synth get a VA........or a modular. Better yet, get 2 prophet 8s and MIDI them together, BTW we should be thanking Dave Smith for even having invented MIDI instead of complaining that his new synth isn't multi-timbral.

User avatar
Pete
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:33 pm

Post by Pete » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:54 am

Hall and Oates are f**k awesome.

I will be buying a P8.

User avatar
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1571
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Utah

Re: wow

Post by otto » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:01 am

prophei wrote:having read through this thread, i am amazed by some things completely...

1. people are actually MAD that dave would make a synth without consulting them first...? excuse me but ...HUH???

2. people are already talking about how it sounds and they have NEVER STOOD IN FRONT OF ONE... HUH??

3. people actually feel they are in a position to tell dave what a real prophet IS, WAS or SHOULD BE... again... HUH???


how can any of you who fit the above not just feel like complete losers? this man brought us some great instruments that he made the way he wanted to make them. now he is bringing us more of them... and you are complaining WHY???

why don't you stop whining like little children and go build your own damn synths that consist of all the little pet features YOU like...and then lets see how good THOSE sound... fair enough?

thank you dave smith for always making cool music equipment. i have owned various pieces over the years, and will undoubtedly continue to do so. good luck with the new synth. i can't wait to play it.
I have yet to complain about the P8. Sounds like it will be a nice synth for the money. However I'm always amazed when I see this kind of blind devotion to a product, brand or really anything.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

CTB
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: wow

Post by CTB » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:05 am

otto wrote:However I'm always amazed when I see this kind of blind devotion to a product, brand or really anything.
I'm always amazed when i see this kind of blind rejection of a product. (Not you, Otto - I'm referring to the negative aspects of this thread.)
CTB

User avatar
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1571
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Utah

Re: wow

Post by otto » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:09 am

CTB wrote:
otto wrote:However I'm always amazed when I see this kind of blind devotion to a product, brand or really anything.
I'm always amazed when i see this kind of blind rejection of a product. (Not you, Otto - I'm referring to the negative aspects of this thread.)
Yeah but I do enjoy the passion and enthusiasm people have about our dear electronic devices even if some people like to focus on the negative. It really is quite funny that we all get into arguments about DCO vs VCO, DA converters, etc. What do you think this would look like to an outsider with no knowledge or interest in synths?.... People getting irate about small electronic componenets. I really do love it, we are f**k nerds in the best possible way.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

KLAXON
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:54 am
Location: Right here...

Post by KLAXON » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:13 am

I don't think it is so much blind devotion as it is excitement over the concept. I mean it is a new affordable "budget type" analogue poly which is what the market was lacking. I know a some people will say "$2000 is affordable and budget?" well when you consider that all of the others are $3000 or more (meaning at LEAST 50% more) yes, it is.
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

User avatar
Postblank
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:56 am
Location: NJ
Contact:

Post by Postblank » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:39 am

CTB wrote:All this talk of DCO's really made me realize what a thin, lame, piece of s**t with no character my JX10 is. Yeah, DCO's really suck.
:roll:
Seriously, I'm about to sell mine for a stick of gum.
Keys: Wurlitzer 200A, Nord Electro 2, Arp Omni 2, Yamaha DX-7 II FD, Casio VL-Tone 1, Roland JX-10

User avatar
phloem
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:11 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Post by phloem » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:40 am

I am very excited about this news. You should put a page up somewhere so we don't have to weed through this unwieldy thread to find specs.

Somebody should bring one to the analog gathering in Oakland on September 9th.

User avatar
Dave Bryce
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 10:48 pm

Post by Dave Bryce » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:44 am

phloem wrote:I am very excited about this news. You should put a page up somewhere so we don't have to weed through this unwieldy thread to find specs.
Dave Smith wants to be the one to post the official specs on his site. They'll go up next week when he gets back from vacation. Same with pics.

dB
DSI
Alesis Andromeda (x2)/QS8/QSR/NanoBass/Ion, Casio VZ10M, DSI PEK (x2)/PER/MEK/P'08, Korg M3/WSSR/M1R, Kurzweil K2000/PC3, Macbeth M5, heavily modded MiniMoog, Nord Electro 2, Oberheim OB5, Roland V-Synth XT/MKS80/MKS70/JD990/D550, Yamaha MOTIF ES8

User avatar
Postblank
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:56 am
Location: NJ
Contact:

Post by Postblank » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:47 am

Dave Bryce wrote:
phloem wrote:I am very excited about this news. You should put a page up somewhere so we don't have to weed through this unwieldy thread to find specs.
Dave Smith wants to be the one to post the official specs on his site.
Is there any distinct reasoning behind this? Perhaps he's just really particular?
Keys: Wurlitzer 200A, Nord Electro 2, Arp Omni 2, Yamaha DX-7 II FD, Casio VL-Tone 1, Roland JX-10

User avatar
supermel74
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:56 am
Location: Maine
Contact:

Post by supermel74 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:00 am

neandrewthal wrote:To those who wish the prophet 8 was multi-timbral:

For god's sake it's a low priced analog polysynth. If you want a multimbral synth get a VA........or a modular. Better yet, get 2 prophet 8s and MIDI them together, BTW we should be thanking Dave Smith for even having invented MIDI instead of complaining that his new synth isn't multi-timbral.
or better yet, get 8 Bassstation racks and you have an 8 voice poly, 8 part multitimbral, dco analog synth with 8 individual outs, 8 ins, 8 midi/cv converters and 144 knobs.

User avatar
Mr. Black
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:34 am
Location: New York, USA

Post by Mr. Black » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:00 am

Why would you be on a vacation a week before you release a new product without any product specs, or webpage information?

droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Re: wow

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:02 am

carbon111 wrote:
redchapterjubilee wrote:
Which is why methinks DSI did the right thing by just springing it on us rather than letting VSE and its brethren spend months dissecting it.
Pretty astute observation, RCJ.

Nobody's even seen one yet and people are already discussing its looks. :)

We're all very excited. VERY.
I'm not VERY excited. I'm not even excited. That doesn't mean I won't get one eventually, but how can I be excited - I have an omega 8 coming tomorrow, and a Cwejman s1 mII coming soon. Why SHOULD I be excited?

User avatar
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1571
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Utah

Post by otto » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:04 am

Postblank wrote:
Dave Bryce wrote:
phloem wrote:I am very excited about this news. You should put a page up somewhere so we don't have to weed through this unwieldy thread to find specs.
Dave Smith wants to be the one to post the official specs on his site.
Is there any distinct reasoning behind this? Perhaps he's just really particular?
Didn't you read that thread about DS throwing an enraged, violent fit when DB posted something in an font DS didn't approve of? It got ugly.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Post Reply