Beware the storm that gathers here...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
WDW
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 811
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:46 am
Real name: WD
Location: Neverwhere

Post by WDW » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:54 am

droolmaster0 wrote:
Jack Spider wrote:How about some of our number showing a bit of grace, allowing the P8 to be released and seeing what it CAN do, instead of complaining about what it can't?

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't help but feel that some of you could do with exercising some manners and perhaps a little gratitude at the fact that Dave's come on here with exclusive news of a new synth.

How about instead of whining at what little teaser information we've been given, show a bit of patience before mouthing off? It'd be a very sad day if the likes of 'Disappointed, Berkshire' has put Dave (or anyone else in such a position) off from posting any future exclusive peeks on here.
Oh please. GRATITUDE? I think that it's good that Dave Smith is putting out an 8 voice poly analog synth. He is also trying to make money by doing so. I'll judge the synth on its merits and buy it if I decide it's worth it to me. I'll comment about its features and its sound on a synth discussion forum. If this is indeed a great synth, then most of the doubters will be silenced. If it isn't, well, then it isn't. Suppose (and I don't think that this will be the case) it's a stinker. Should everyone just shut up out of gratitude?
Let's be realistic about this. Yes, there is money to be made from developing and producing contemporary analogue boutique synthesizers. But there is no economy of scale comparable to the large Japanese vendors; and, therefore, there is no comparable profit margin or revenue volume. The Bob Moogs and Dave Smiths can conceivably make a reasonable amount of money from their ideas and investments, but they will not likely be super-wealthy.

These kinds of guys are in this because of a passion for designing neat instruments. And I, for one, am quite thankful that such people exist, regardless of whether or not I lust after, like, or hold even the slightest interest in their products. Just to have people with such a passion and willing to take a financial risk and meet a perceived market need goes a long way in my book.

WD

keybdwizrd
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 1:57 am
Location: Windy City
Contact:

Post by keybdwizrd » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:02 am

Dave Bryce wrote:Dave Smith wants to be the one to post the official specs on his site. They'll go up next week when he gets back from vacation. Same with pics.
I certainly hope it looks cool and has knobbier knobs than the other Dave Smith synths. And I hope it isn't blue (or red, or silver, for that matter). And with any luck, it won't look anything like an Andromeda.

User avatar
neandrewthal
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:43 am
Location: Ontari-ari-o

Post by neandrewthal » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:03 am

droolmaster0 wrote:
KLAXON wrote:Fair enough, I think people bitching and whining is silly. So we both think things are silly.
So, let's be friends then. Thanks for inventing MIDI!
What more could you expect out of a single human being :wink: He could have stopped 25 years ago and still have made a huge impact.

User avatar
Amos
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:17 pm
Location: Between 0 and +5V

Post by Amos » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:03 am

regarding why somebody might go on vacation a week before a new product is about to ship...

Just think about what the workload must be like to get a brand-new product ready to ship anything close to on-schedule... after jumping over a hurdle like that, you'd probably want a solid week of sleep just to start with. :)

Congrats Dave and DSI! Damn y'all are quick. 8)
"The tb-303 sounds like poo and I think I could sell it for way more if I need some gas money, but no other poo sounds as pooey as it, plus it has a sequencer..." - Zamise

User avatar
Juno6
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:34 am
Location: Argentina

Post by Juno6 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:27 am

keybdwizrd wrote: And with any luck, it won't look anything like an Andromeda.
Mmmm Andromeda... (Homer voice)

Image

(pic not mine)

droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:27 am

WDW wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
Jack Spider wrote:How about some of our number showing a bit of grace, allowing the P8 to be released and seeing what it CAN do, instead of complaining about what it can't?

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't help but feel that some of you could do with exercising some manners and perhaps a little gratitude at the fact that Dave's come on here with exclusive news of a new synth.

How about instead of whining at what little teaser information we've been given, show a bit of patience before mouthing off? It'd be a very sad day if the likes of 'Disappointed, Berkshire' has put Dave (or anyone else in such a position) off from posting any future exclusive peeks on here.
Oh please. GRATITUDE? I think that it's good that Dave Smith is putting out an 8 voice poly analog synth. He is also trying to make money by doing so. I'll judge the synth on its merits and buy it if I decide it's worth it to me. I'll comment about its features and its sound on a synth discussion forum. If this is indeed a great synth, then most of the doubters will be silenced. If it isn't, well, then it isn't. Suppose (and I don't think that this will be the case) it's a stinker. Should everyone just shut up out of gratitude?
Let's be realistic about this. Yes, there is money to be made from developing and producing contemporary analogue boutique synthesizers. But there is no economy of scale comparable to the large Japanese vendors; and, therefore, there is no comparable profit margin or revenue volume. The Bob Moogs and Dave Smiths can conceivably make a reasonable amount of money from their ideas and investments, but they will not likely be super-wealthy.

These kinds of guys are in this because of a passion for designing neat instruments. And I, for one, am quite thankful that such people exist, regardless of whether or not I lust after, like, or hold even the slightest interest in their products. Just to have people with such a passion and willing to take a financial risk and meet a perceived market need goes a long way in my book.

WD
Well, I'm not saying he's going to get rich. But he's doing it for a living AND it's his passion. And I, of course, am thrilled that so many people are making analog synths these days - especially in the modular world. But I just don't see any point in this thread devolving into an 'I LOVE DAVE SMITH. Thank you DAVE for inventing MIDI and for being who you are'. Of course, I'm thrilled that Dave has built the instruments that he has, and I'm thrilled that a number of other people have built theirs. But I just don't think that being disappointed because the synth doesn't have certain features is "whining". I mean, people are disappointed, if they are, because they appreciate Dave Smith, and his history, and wanted a synth that fit what they need so they can buy it. If someone says something that is unfair, or untrue, then that's ground for criticism. But given that the expression is well reasoned and respectful, I WANT to read the honest opinions of others, and much of this now really does smack of fanboyism. If not, what IS fanboyism?

droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:30 am

neandrewthal wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
KLAXON wrote:Fair enough, I think people bitching and whining is silly. So we both think things are silly.
So, let's be friends then. Thanks for inventing MIDI!
What more could you expect out of a single human being :wink: He could have stopped 25 years ago and still have made a huge impact.
Well, he could have ended war and made everyone love one another. And made most people immortal (not trolls). So, I think that he has a long way to go. But that's just my opinion.

User avatar
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1222
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:57 pm
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi
Location: Reykjavík, Iceland
Contact:

Post by hageir » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:47 am

droolmaster0 wrote:
neandrewthal wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote: So, let's be friends then. Thanks for inventing MIDI!
What more could you expect out of a single human being :wink: He could have stopped 25 years ago and still have made a huge impact.
Well, he could have ended war and made everyone love one another. And made most people immortal (not trolls). So, I think that he has a long way to go. But that's just my opinion.
oooh yeah, you're the guy who invented computers, cars and all that stuff.

stay true to your name and start drooling all over the place! :)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:50 am

hageir wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
neandrewthal wrote:What more could you expect out of a single human being :wink: He could have stopped 25 years ago and still have made a huge impact.
Well, he could have ended war and made everyone love one another. And made most people immortal (not trolls). So, I think that he has a long way to go. But that's just my opinion.
oooh yeah, you're the guy who invented computers, cars and all that stuff.

stay true to your name and start drooling all over the place! :)
Well, you should begin by getting your facts straight. I didn't invent computers, but I did invent the human spleen. Paradoxically, I invented it only 14 years ago. Cars I don't give a s**t about. If I invented them, I don't recall it.

I do drool, but not all over the place. My grandmother told me never to drool on a dog's anus.

analogue wings
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:25 am
Contact:

Post by analogue wings » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:51 am

raffor wrote: So, whoever says that this DCO synth or that one sounds so great, listen to it wihtout the chorus!!
OMG you're right! Anyone want to trade a Matrix 1000 for an Electribe?
Oberheim Matrix 1000 * Roland MKS50 * Roland MKS7 * Korg Poly61 * Casio CZ3000 * MAM Warp 9 * MAM VF 11 * Yamaha TX81Z * JoMoX AirBase 99 * Roland TR606 * Yamaha QY70

prophei
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:52 pm
Contact:

Post by prophei » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:26 am

droolmaster0 wrote:
Well, I'm not saying he's going to get rich. But he's doing it for a living AND it's his passion. And I, of course, am thrilled that so many people are making analog synths these days - especially in the modular world. But I just don't see any point in this thread devolving into an 'I LOVE DAVE SMITH. Thank you DAVE for inventing MIDI and for being who you are'. Of course, I'm thrilled that Dave has built the instruments that he has, and I'm thrilled that a number of other people have built theirs. But I just don't think that being disappointed because the synth doesn't have certain features is "whining". I mean, people are disappointed, if they are, because they appreciate Dave Smith, and his history, and wanted a synth that fit what they need so they can buy it. If someone says something that is unfair, or untrue, then that's ground for criticism. But given that the expression is well reasoned and respectful, I WANT to read the honest opinions of others, and much of this now really does smack of fanboyism. If not, what IS fanboyism?
people are whining if they are f'in whining. feel free to go look up what it means. i don't believe that anybody explained that it was somehow wrong to have or discuss opinions, but the ridiculous point it has reached based off of loose and undefined specs and almost no knowledge of the thing is totally stupid.

people can do and say what they want, but they still look like idiots to me if they can spend 20 something pages in a thread freaking out about features in a thing they have never seen or played. do they have a right to... SURE!! does that kind of opinion have any real value?? NO, at least not to me.

is anybody trying to be taken seriously, or is this all just because they have nothing better to do than whine in endless posts? i haven't yet seen any hero worship for dave smith. all i have seen are people trying to give the man enough respect to actually find out what the h**l he made before bitching and whining about it endlessly. i would hope you can tell the difference. maybe you can't. who knows.
andromeda > polyevolver keyboard > ms-20 > oberheim two voice > arp 2600 > minimoog > custom modular system > polivoks > roland SVC-350 > jomox mbase01 > sh2 > acidlab > tr-808 > drumtrax > korg dvp-1 > protools hd3 > mac dual 2.0 G5

droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:35 am

prophei wrote: people are whining if they are f'in whining. feel free to go look up what it means. i don't believe that anybody explained that it was somehow wrong to have or discuss opinions, but the ridiculous point it has reached based off of loose and undefined specs and almost no knowledge of the thing is totally stupid.

people can do and say what they want, but they still look like idiots to me if they can spend 20 something pages in a thread freaking out about features in a thing they have never seen or played. do they have a right to... SURE!! does that kind of opinion have any real value?? NO, at least not to me.

is anybody trying to be taken seriously, or is this all just because they have nothing better to do than whine in endless posts? i haven't yet seen any hero worship for dave smith. all i have seen are people trying to give the man enough respect to actually find out what the h**l he made before bitching and whining about it endlessly. i would hope you can tell the difference. maybe you can't. who knows.
Well, let us differentiate what we know from what we don't know.

What we know:
Who looks like an idiot to you is something that we all care about.
There are individuals in this thread who have, by themselves, spent 20 pages "freaking out"
Your opinion has "real value"

What we don't know:
Where did Dave Smith go for his vacation?
If he hadn't invented MIDI, would there be something better now?
Does your post constitute whining?
Do eels have souls?

prophei
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:52 pm
Contact:

Post by prophei » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:43 am

droolmaster0 wrote:
prophei wrote: people are whining if they are f'in whining. feel free to go look up what it means. i don't believe that anybody explained that it was somehow wrong to have or discuss opinions, but the ridiculous point it has reached based off of loose and undefined specs and almost no knowledge of the thing is totally stupid.

people can do and say what they want, but they still look like idiots to me if they can spend 20 something pages in a thread freaking out about features in a thing they have never seen or played. do they have a right to... SURE!! does that kind of opinion have any real value?? NO, at least not to me.

is anybody trying to be taken seriously, or is this all just because they have nothing better to do than whine in endless posts? i haven't yet seen any hero worship for dave smith. all i have seen are people trying to give the man enough respect to actually find out what the h**l he made before bitching and whining about it endlessly. i would hope you can tell the difference. maybe you can't. who knows.
Well, let us differentiate what we know from what we don't know.

What we know:
Who looks like an idiot to you is something that we all care about.
There are individuals in this thread who have, by themselves, spent 20 pages "freaking out"
Your opinion has "real value"

What we don't know:
Where did Dave Smith go for his vacation?
If he hadn't invented MIDI, would there be something better now?
Does your post constitute whining?
Do eels have souls?

hahaha, nevermind. i can see you enjoy being a snippy pain in the a*s far more than anything remotely constructive. enjoy! :lol:
andromeda > polyevolver keyboard > ms-20 > oberheim two voice > arp 2600 > minimoog > custom modular system > polivoks > roland SVC-350 > jomox mbase01 > sh2 > acidlab > tr-808 > drumtrax > korg dvp-1 > protools hd3 > mac dual 2.0 G5

droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:46 am

prophei wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:
prophei wrote: people are whining if they are f'in whining. feel free to go look up what it means. i don't believe that anybody explained that it was somehow wrong to have or discuss opinions, but the ridiculous point it has reached based off of loose and undefined specs and almost no knowledge of the thing is totally stupid.

people can do and say what they want, but they still look like idiots to me if they can spend 20 something pages in a thread freaking out about features in a thing they have never seen or played. do they have a right to... SURE!! does that kind of opinion have any real value?? NO, at least not to me.

is anybody trying to be taken seriously, or is this all just because they have nothing better to do than whine in endless posts? i haven't yet seen any hero worship for dave smith. all i have seen are people trying to give the man enough respect to actually find out what the h**l he made before bitching and whining about it endlessly. i would hope you can tell the difference. maybe you can't. who knows.
Well, let us differentiate what we know from what we don't know.

What we know:
Who looks like an idiot to you is something that we all care about.
There are individuals in this thread who have, by themselves, spent 20 pages "freaking out"
Your opinion has "real value"

What we don't know:
Where did Dave Smith go for his vacation?
If he hadn't invented MIDI, would there be something better now?
Does your post constitute whining?
Do eels have souls?

hahaha, nevermind. i can see you enjoy being a snippy pain in the a*s far more than anything remotely constructive. enjoy! :lol:
Another thing we know - you were being constructive, and I was not. It is instructive to compile these lists. One becomes a better person by thinking deeply about these things.

droolmaster0
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:09 am

Post by droolmaster0 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:22 am

djfetus wrote:dont rain on other peoples parade.

if theres a thread about someone buying a electribe and how they rlly enjoy it. i dont post how the elctribes suck and thier limitations. its rude.
this isn't a thread about people enjoying the p8 because no one owns one yet. as far as I can tell, no one has posted saying that they suck either. No one owns one yet.

Post Reply