Beware the storm that gathers here...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:17 pm

Ski wrote:So, back to Z's quote, as someone with a lot of hands-on use
of the P'08 (nearly 3 months), I have to respectfully but
strongly disagree. I think this machine is WELL deserving
of the "Prophet" name.
In many ways, I think it's better
than the P5, and that's before we start talking about age,
reliability, and repair issues. In side by side comparisons
with my own OB8, its raw sound is amazingly similar. Matter
of fact, if you don't use filter resonance on either machine,
the raw sound is all but identical. Granted, the OB8 has
some cool "page 2" functions that the P'08 lacks, such as
LFO Phase, Quantize, etc. On the other hand, the P'08 has
several significant features not available on the OB8, such
as four LFOs, three Envelopes, a four track Sequencer, and a
MUCH deeper Mod Matrix.
Many of us are coming to conclusions without seeing the specs and playing the synth. From what I've read and heard, I have already been making plans to get a P'08 right away (selling one of my JP-6's soon).

Z
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:22 pm

F5D wrote: It seems like Dave turned the analog market upside down and saved us all. Now we don't need to buy old analog gear at sick prices when we can go and purchase a brand new one! Ok, it may be a little more expensive than some old gear
Like pretty much everything. Not complaining, but let's stop calling this thing inexpensive. For $2000 I can get an 808 and an MS20, or a Machinedrum UW and an MS10, etc....

F5D

Post by F5D » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:36 pm

supermel74 wrote:Not complaining, but let's stop calling this thing inexpensive.
I agree. It IS an expensive synth but if the price will be about ~2000 as dB posted earlier, it is imo ok. If it's more, I guess many people (incl. me) must reconsider buying and we're at the starting point again (browsing ebay). So, if anybody from DSI is reading, this doesn't mean that you can increase the price. I guess many people are interested in the synth just because the price which was reported earlier is reasonable (not cheap in any means). :idea: :)
F5D @ SoundCloud, futuresounddesign.com - sounds for your synthesizers

Ski

Post by Ski » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:52 pm

supermel74 wrote:Not complaining, but let's stop calling this thing inexpensive. For $2000 I can get an 808 and an MS20, or a Machinedrum UW and an MS10, etc....
"Expensive" and "Inexpensive" are of course relative - to a lot of things! :)

Those terms aside, let's try to make "apples to apples" comparisons, though...

If you have $2k to spend, and you need/want a vintage drum machine and a vintage mono analog synth, I would certainly recommend considering an 808 and an MS20 as you suggest. Both real classics!

If you have $2k to spend, and you need/want a VA, take a hard look at a Virus.

However, if you have $2k to spend, and you're on the hunt for a polyphonic analog synth, the P'08 might be right for you.

And if you have $2k to spend, and you want a NEW reliable and serviceable polyphonic analog synth, the P'08 is... well, you know what it is! ;)

And for the record... For $2k, I could get a nice new refrigerator, new tires for the car, and have change left over to go see a movie! :D

Seriously, I think the P'08 is very reasonably priced for what it is: A great sounding, great looking, very capable, 8 voice polyphonic, real analog, NEW synth.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:55 pm

I agree that the price is very fair

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:02 am

Wait a minute...this thing doesn't even have a multimode?

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:05 am

droolmaster0 wrote:Wait a minute...this thing doesn't even have a multimode?
or a calculator :shock: screw that, I'm getting a Casio VL Tone instead :twisted:

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:12 am

supermel74 wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote:Wait a minute...this thing doesn't even have a multimode?
or a calculator :shock: screw that, I'm getting a Casio VL Tone instead :twisted:
hah - no, I have to say - despite my repeatedly misinterpreted comments about multimode, and my battles with people who believe that they have to defend DSI at all costs without even reading what is actually being said, I am quite interested in this synth. I imagine that it will be tremendous fun to use. Damn that I'm out of funds for the foreseeable feature (for very cool gear lust reasons, however).

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:11 am

Thanks a lot Ski. I've resisted for 32 pages but now I want one :roll:

Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:30 am

I can't believe no one has mentioned how freaking lame it is that the Mod Wheels are up on the main panel. I absolutely cannot stand it there. Totally lame. To be honest, I am underwhelmed by the looks of the P8. I think the PEK lools 100 times more badass.

Ski

Post by Ski » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:27 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:I can't believe no one has mentioned how freaking lame it is that the Mod Wheels are up on the main panel. I absolutely cannot stand it there. Totally lame. To be honest, I am underwhelmed by the looks of the P8. I think the PEK lools 100 times more badass.
Hmmm... I've read a lot of opinions both ways on the wheels, and in multiple forums. Same regarding the overall looks of the PEK and P'08. It's definitely a personal preference thing.

Dave Bryce likes the wheels up on the main panel a lot. I wasn't too wild about it myself. However, now that I've used the proto for three months, I have to admit I don't mind it, and it didn't take long at all to get used to it.

I don't travel with or move my synths a lot, but if you do, you might be amazed how much more portable the P'08 is, even compared to the PEK. A few inches saved by putting the wheels on the main panel, a little less depth, and a little less weight make the P'08 a lot easier to tote around.

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:04 am

More Prophet '08 demo mp3's

Weirdly enough when you enter this address into your address bar it opens up a secret page with more demos on it hehehe

http://www.trippler.net/files/p8/p8h.mp3

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

DocT

Post by DocT » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:01 pm

Weirdly enough when you enter this address into your address bar it opens up a secret page with more demos on it hehehe
Yeah, my track naming scheme wasn't suited to hide much ;)
Last edited by DocT on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jko

Post by jko » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:16 pm

Well. I haven't checked these forums for a long while, and this appears. It sounds like the kind of new instrument I and others I know have been wanting for years, half-expecting it would never happen again after the Andromeda ; a new, performance-orientated, keyboard analog poly.

Congratulations DSI.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:58 pm

http://www.trippler.net/files/p8/p8f.mp3

Is it just me or does the bass line sound suspiciously like it's going through a multi-mode filter?
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!