Beware the storm that gathers here...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
slinkyjr
Band: an1matron1x

Post by slinkyjr » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:55 pm

amni wrote:
crystalmsc wrote:
amni wrote:has anyone bought one yet?
slinkyjr..carbon111...others?

so where are the YouTubes :-)

hey, if i had a video camera, i would try a youtube thing. :P
Rogue, Minimoog, LAMM(w/blue LEDs), MemoryMoog+, PolyMoog keyboard, PolyMoog synth, Jupiter 8,VP-330, JD-800,TB-303, Polysix, 2600, Odyssey, Quadra, Xpander,Matrix 1000,Prophet 5,Pro-one,Prophet 600,Prophet 10, Nord 2X, Virus KC,Prophet 08

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:11 am

for sale/trade: EML-101

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:34 am

nadafarms wrote:The first ebay p08?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dave-Smith-Instr-Pr ... dZViewItem
Seems odd considering the nice return policy.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Post by Raiven » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:33 am

crystalmsc wrote:
amni wrote:has anyone bought one yet?
slinkyjr..carbon111...others?
Myself as well. It would be in my possession sooner if my S90ES were sold, but whether or not it's sold won't stop mine from being completely paid for. :wink:
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:13 am

megawatt wrote:
nadafarms wrote:The first ebay p08?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dave-Smith-Instr-Pr ... dZViewItem
Seems odd considering the nice return policy.
Seems odd considering it is used and he wants 98.8% of the retail price.
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:59 am

gallant steve wrote:there was a spot of talk last week about "charged-cap" components helping the new synth sound quite a bit more as if it had vco's. Could anyone with better electronics knowledge than myself possibly help explain the physics of how this comes about ? :hippy2: :sad4:
In VCO, sawtooth wave is generated by charging the capacitor with constant current (controlled by the CV). When voltage on capacitor reaches certain level, it is discharged by special circuit (comparator), and whole cycle begins. So by changing control voltage (and therefore charging current) you can change frequency, as the capacitor is discharged always on the same level, but with lower current, it charges slowly, so the frequency is lower, etc...

Now, in Prophet 08 DCO there is also this capacitor, charged by the constant current derived from key control voltage, and the only difference is, that it is discharged by digital clock, so the frequency is independent from unstability in charging current.

So the whole point of this is, that Prophet 08 DCO (as well as many other DCOs) is ANALOG oscillator, just synced to digital clock for better tracking and stability.

I hope I wrote it understandable ;-) Sorry for grammar mistakes.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:09 pm

neandrewthal wrote:
Seems odd considering it is used and he wants 98.8% of the retail price.
That's become the norm on ebay for a lot of stuff. I always wonder why someone is willing to pay 90%+ for a used item they could easily buy new for very little more. Sorry to go off topic!
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Post by modulator_esp » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:56 pm

presumably if you buy it used you don't get a warranty?
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)

Ski

Post by Ski » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:28 pm

Peake wrote:Just to say how things are going, the Oberheim SEM is larger-sounding than the Pro One. Poly SEMs were the shiznit.
Peake, apologies if I missed something, but do you have an OB SEM? Or even maybe a 4 Voice? And are you in the middle of doing some synth comparisons? Thanks.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:45 am

Some quick impressions, then I'm off to sleep...

Before anyone asks, I won't be able to post some MP3s until later this weekend - right now its on the dining room table until the new stand is moved into the studio. My wife is a saint.

Soundwise its very similar to the PEK with the following exceptions, the louder settings tend toward warm saturation-style distortion rather than clipping and, to me, the filter has a little bit more of that "CS80" vibe...slightly buzzy (but not in a bad way at all)...a couple of pads I've programmed exemplify this...I'll record some snippets...

Many of the presets are dual-layer and sound wonderful, but in a real-world mix, I think I'll mainly end up using single-layer patches to preserve some bandwidth. There is such a thing as "too fat" ;)

Long soft evolving pads are easy to do as are 'stacked" 16-osc basses (wow!). The sound is rich without being overbearing. Thinner sounds are possible too but not as easy as the PEK as there's no highpass filter...even so, ripping leads are possible - the filter FM is nice for adding animation and the Sync can be brutal depending on the depth of the sweep.

The keybed on the Prophet'08 is very nice! Its firm yet moderately weighted for a nice compromise between expression and speed. I prefer this key action over the PEK...but just by a bit, the PEK's is one of the better ones out there IMHO.

While I thought having the wheels "up there" was going to be a PITA, in practice it dosen't bother me at all, the heel of my hand rests nicely on the edge of the endcheek.

It dosen't show in any of the the photos I've seen, but all the panel lights are a very deep red...

Lovely, lovely synth.

Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

Ski

Post by Ski » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:28 pm

Nice job on the photo, James!

QQ1

Post by QQ1 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:35 pm

I, too, received my P'08 yesterday and echo most of the sentiments expressed by James. (I also owned a PEK for 2 years).

My quick and dirty impressions:

I am quite pleased (and relieved) by the sound of the P'08 and prefer it to that of the PEK. That being said, I agree with James in that the synths can sound very similarly (thought the PEK does have a wider sound pallete), but if the PEK sound can be thought of as whole milk, then the P'08 is definitely heavy whipping cream.

I slightly prefer the keybed of the PEK to the P'08, but I can't imagine that the difference between the two would be significant enough to sway anyone's decision about purchasing the synth.

I think that I will miss not having a HP filter on the P'08, but there are workarounds that are easy enough.

I absolutely love the knobs on the P'08: they are of high quality, spaced nicely, and turn with more fluidity than those on the PEK that I owned.

I also like the P'08's arpeggiator, although I would have liked to have seen a random mode option for this.

Finally, the P'08 is devilishly handsome, and like James pointed out, the red is deep and dark--think Merlot.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:52 pm

When's this storm gonna end?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Ski

Post by Ski » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:01 pm

QQ1 wrote:I think that I will miss not having a HP filter on the P'08, but there are workarounds that are easy enough.
Try using the 2 pole Filter, and then use the Filter Resonance as a rough substitute for a High Pass Filter. Since the 2 pole Filter won't self-oscillate, I found this technique to be an acceptable substitute. Not exactly the same thing, but similar. I actually used this technique quite a bit, and in many cases, I really preferred it to the results of a High Pass Filter.
QQ1 wrote:I also like the P'08's arpeggiator, although I would have liked to have seen a random mode option for this.
I don't know if you noticed, but the ARP *does* have an "Assign" mode, where it arpeggiates the notes in the order you play them. Since my own playing is pretty "random", that makes for a pretty random ARP for me! ;) It's also fun to set up a Stacked (layered) Program with two different sounds in which you have two separate ARPs running. Here's a quick little example of such a Stacked Program, with two "Assign" mode ARPs running, coupled with my "random" playing:

http://www.ex5tech.com/demos/Prophet_'0 ... es_Arp.mp3

Hope some of that helps.

QQ1

Post by QQ1 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:30 pm

Thanks Ski for the suggestions!