Beware the storm that gathers here...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:14 pm

it definitely has a fresh sound - I think it's about the most 'alive' sounding dco synth that I've ever heard...

miket156

Post by miket156 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:47 pm

Quote by Digital Screams:

"To my ears the Prophet '08 sounds noticeably wetter than the Prophet 5 rev 3 ever did. it also sounds smoother and more musical + it doesnt sound dated."

As an owner of a Prophet 5 since 1981, I take exception to the above sentence. TO MY EARS, the Prophet 08 is "raspier" (is that a word?) than the P5. Its kinda gritty, it is NOT smoother. The Prophet 5 is a dated sound? Gee, I wonder why so many players still lust after a Prophet 5. My take on the P08 is that it sounds different than the Prophet 5, and with more voices, dual sequencers and an ARP, you will make some great music with it. But I wouldn't trash the P5 in the process. I'll be buried with mine, but I'd still own a P08 if I had $$$.

Mike T.

gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:36 am

to me it sounds crisper ( without obviously having the same 'size') than the P5 , and also smoother than the p600 and evolver. Grittiest is the p600, for me.

gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:15 pm

no more new demos ? :(

softroom

Post by softroom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:56 am

Been meaning to record some demos but I just can't stop playing the thing. It did take me a couple of weeks before I found a rich seam of tonality that appealed to me. Then, routing it through a Kaoss Pad3 and Xone VF-1 filter gave me the icing on the cake and I was coasting happily. Will try to record something this weekend - but remember my demos won't be as good as Stefan's!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:45 am

That is true, you can't make up an opinion only based on the presets or 10 minutes of twiddling with 2 saw waves in the store. It takes a couple weeks before you get "underneath the skin" of the synth. I had that experience with the Andromeda, I was frankly scared of programming it because it is so deep and huge. But then I sat down, used the "reset patch" function to strip away everything and started programming and storing sounds I liked. Turned into a whole different synth for me.

DocT

Post by DocT » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:09 am

gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:58 am

thanks for that doc, excellent.
Bitexion wrote:That is true, you can't make up an opinion only based on the presets or 10 minutes of twiddling with 2 saw waves in the store. It takes a couple weeks before you get "underneath the skin" of the synth. I had that experience with the Andromeda, I was frankly scared of programming it because it is so deep and huge. But then I sat down, used the "reset patch" function to strip away everything and started programming and storing sounds I liked. Turned into a whole different synth for me.
particularly true with the A6 though - it's not unlike a small-scale modular in its complexity..

jko

Post by jko » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:32 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:To my ears the Prophet '08 sounds noticeably wetter than the Prophet 5 rev 3 ever did. it also sounds smoother and more musical + it doesnt sound dated. Dont get me wrong....i love the original prophet....but this new remake sounds fresh and useable within a modern context. Perfect.

Great sounds DocT. if you get the time, please do more of these mellow style Prophet tracks...I really like your demos mate. Stylus drums? You using preset grooves or you contrcuting your own patterns?

Cheers bud

DS
The prophet 5 will always loom large, but I do think DSI have got it right here in emerging with a synth that's very useable with modern electronic styles with quite a pristine high-end, but retaining a good part of that signature sequential sound that sets it apart from the mass of dco synths. Added to the fact that it's the first giggable & compact, live performance-orientated, analog poly in two decades, and all the elements are in place for it to stay popular long after the bout of all the initial interest there's been.

gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:03 pm

anyone got a link for that long list of p8 demos that were posted up a while back ?

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:27 pm

You can read the thread rather than repeatedly bumping it up the forum as you are quite keen to do.

gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:56 pm

?
er... thanks for that tip.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:12 pm

It's a tip that you should put into practice then, Steve. The link to the demos is in the thread - just a case of scanning through it.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:24 pm

ok I'll look through - but not exactly a hanging crime though is it ? it's true I want to hear more about the synth from other people too , but I didn't think there was anything wrong with wanting to keep the first thread going for that.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:27 pm

It's not a hanging crime - that's reserved for 'Micron vs MicroKorg' threads and there's nothing wrong with resurrecting older threads (it's better than starting new ones), it's just that in this case, the answers you sought are actually still in the thread!
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian