Calling all circuit benders!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gearaddict

Calling all circuit benders!

Post by gearaddict » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:18 pm

Do people here circuit bend? I just started really getting into it a while ago and was looking for peoples favorite toys to bend. I've done sk-1's, a hot lixx guitar, and i just did a radioshack (casio) chance keyboard...

what do you love to bend? pictures are welcome too!
Jordan H
Gear|Addict Clothing
(Designer/Creator)
Unique synth/audio/recording clothing for adults and kids
http://www.cafepress.com/gearaddict

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:09 pm

Sorry to seem arsey here dude but I don’t need to ‘bend’ anything when it’s much easier to click up Reaktor and put it through a grainshifter FX for that random ‘glitch’ sound.

Circuit bending in a an interesting concept with using retro gear in ways that its not designed for but for producing sounds intended for music then it’s just a novelty for me although show me something cool and unique and I may change my mind. :wink:

immigrantboy

Post by immigrantboy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:14 pm

I have a Casio PT-87 that I was going to circuit bend, but I love the 4-bit sounds too much that I don't want to. I might make an external filte box for it though, and maybe add a dedicated pot for tuning.

And I recently won a Yamaha PSS-480 on ebay. If the digital synth section doesn't do it for me, I may bend it. I'll post pics later perhaps...

Got a couple new, generic keyboards, but there is barely any discrete components on them at all, and one of them I accidently broke the cold wire off, and the contact is stuck down in glue, and the IC is coated in ceramic. Sucks. I'll probably scrap it for parts now.

I think my troubles with circuit bending is that I've been buying boards that I like as they are, I haven't the heart to crack them. I need to get something real ugly and dive in.
Main Gear: Korg M500, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha PSS-480, sitar, cassette tapes
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"

Synthetic Solace

Post by Synthetic Solace » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:40 pm

this is my one and only board i've bent

check this out for a great free plug in if you want more glitchy fun

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1904.html
Synths I have - Korg Ms-2000r/Korg Emx-1 / Yamaha Cs2x / Novation X-Station/Casio Sk-1(circuit bent)/ Casio Ht-3000/Yamaha Tx81z/Elecphone
SYNTHS I'VE HAD - Roland Juno 60,Akai Ax-60,Roland Sh-32,Korg Poly 800,Yamaha Rm1x,Alesis Nano Piano,Roland D-110

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:16 pm

My favorite is the SK-1 (concermate 500). I find it to be the most musical and it samples too. But you know this. You can see mine in my avatar. I did not hard wire any points to a single toggle. Its open game for new sounds when I want to use it.
-michael-

Constantine
Gear: ableton live, ESX, kurzweil k2000r, euro/frac/DIY modular, sp-404, and Berna lol
Band: nXLR

Post by Constantine » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:29 pm

i have only one circuit-bent thing so far:

it's a toy with four samples inside ('boom', 'zap' and so on).Modification is fairly simple: now i can control pitch of the samples, there's a line-out added instead of speaker. there's another control option but i can't remember what does it do.

i wanted to circuitbent a casio sk-1 for some time, but couldn't find any.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:33 pm

Constantine wrote:i wanted to circuitbent a casio sk-1 for some time, but couldn't find any.
None in Moscow? That sucks. I once found 2 in one day, and haven't found any since. One for $5 and the other for $0.25

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:43 pm

This is from someone who knows practically nothing about circuit bending, or what it truly is.

Can anyone do the kind of work on the JX series' envelopes to make them quick and snappy like Minimoog or DX7 envelopes? Or, do you have to go out and buy envelope chips that have been canibalized out of a Juno 106?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:35 am

I'm not that big into it. I've bent and modded a little. Nothing super great or anything. This weekend I added a PIA touch plate and a couple potentiometers to a Casio PT-87 for fun. I'll post pics and maybe demo once I find some knobs to go on the pot pegs. I've got some other gear I've done a little to too and a couple of bent S&Ps I got off the bay. Once you know just a few things, its not nearly as hard as you would think. Some of the cooler stuff may be harder though. I don't know how they get distortion yet and or some other possible effects, really would like to know how to get stuff to do echos too, but pitch changes and glitches I can probably do all day.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

fuckrapsputin

Post by fuckrapsputin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:16 am

I bent a yamaha DD7 drum machine (the funny old ones with the blue round pads you hit). It turned out ok for our first bending attempt -- basically just chucked a couple of switches and a couple of pots on it -- the two switches seem to activate hellish distortion and one pot does a 'rush' type sound for pad 3 -- this can either be a snare, hat or a dog bark and other s**t. And the final pot does some weird distortion/delay thing... It was actually really fun and cool, only thing is that the inside of the DD7 was a maze of wires and other s**t, so by the time we put it back together it doesn't switch on 100% of the time. I'd like to have another go with something some time though.

I agree with Zamise, it isn't as hard as you would expect once you get started however I can't find a way of getting accurate results, as in it is a case of connecting things and seeing what happens, I still had/have no idea how to obtain the desired effects, just how to find ones the machine has to offer.
gear: Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:27 am

f**k wrote:I bent a yamaha DD7 drum machine (the funny old ones with the blue round pads you hit). It turned out ok for our first bending attempt -- basically just chucked a couple of switches and a couple of pots on it -- the two switches seem to activate hellish distortion and one pot does a 'rush' type sound for pad 3 -- this can either be a snare, hat or a dog bark and other s**t. And the final pot does some weird distortion/delay thing... It was actually really fun and cool, only thing is that the inside of the DD7 was a maze of wires and other s**t, so by the time we put it back together it doesn't switch on 100% of the time. I'd like to have another go with something some time though.

I agree with Zamise, it isn't as hard as you would expect once you get started however I can't find a way of getting accurate results, as in it is a case of connecting things and seeing what happens, I still had/have no idea how to obtain the desired effects, just how to find ones the machine has to offer.
Is this your handiwork?

The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

gearaddict

Post by gearaddict » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:27 am

great work guys...the sk-1 i was bending right before summer had a huge patchbay that really did some amazing stuff.. I was doing it for an electronics show at calarts (i go to school there) and the night before the show, i tried getting one more bend...and POOF! Something shorted and while the keyboard was still functional and glitchable, the tuning scale on they keyboard was all out of whack with no rhyme or reason...

oh well-- i will bend another one when i get my hands on it...for now, im working on a big tube theremin project and designing new synth and instrument tshirts, hehe
Jordan H
Gear|Addict Clothing
(Designer/Creator)

Chaorta
Gear: Eurorack Modular, Korg ER-1, Voice of Saturn Sequencer, Gakken SX150

Post by Chaorta » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:42 am

You know i bought an SK5 with the thought of bending it, but i'm really lazy. I soldered on a ground wire, poked around, and havent touched it since. I should sell it.
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

gearaddict

Post by gearaddict » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:44 am

Chaorta wrote:You know i bought an SK5 with the thought of bending it, but i'm really lazy. I soldered on a ground wire, poked around, and havent touched it since. I should sell it.
pm sent..im in chicago...what would you sell it for?
Jordan H
Gear|Addict Clothing
(Designer/Creator)

Chaorta
Gear: Eurorack Modular, Korg ER-1, Voice of Saturn Sequencer, Gakken SX150

Post by Chaorta » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:50 am

gearaddict wrote:
Chaorta wrote:You know i bought an SK5 with the thought of bending it, but i'm really lazy. I soldered on a ground wire, poked around, and havent touched it since. I should sell it.
pm sent..im in chicago...what would you sell it for?
*shrug* make me an offer.
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.