Used Nord Lead 2 or new Roland SH201?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Used Nord Lead 2 or new Roland SH201?

Postby FriscoJohn » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:39 pm

I'm a gutarist/bassplayer/sometime drummer who's getting interested in syhths. I can get either a used Nord Lead or Nord Lead 2 or a new SH201 for about the same money.

My main goal is to learn about synthesis, particularly analog modeling, for fun, and perhaps eventually performance use and recording.

I don't want to get into guitar synths at this time--keyboards is the way I want to go for now.

Any feedback greatly appreciate on the pros and cons of the above 2. I've also considered some older rolands, but don't want to deal with having to fix things, and don't think I'm qualified to thourougly test something old before I buy...
FriscoJohn
No Longer Registered

Postby ronP » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:23 pm

The face of the ROLAND SH-201 is clear, direct, and self-explanatory, not unlike the classic analog synths of the early 1980s (like the Juno 60 or KORG Polysix). The machine is a VA, like the Nord, but its knob-per-function control is simple, intuitive, and I believe better suited for a player with the background you describe.

Give it a try . . . you'll either go back to the strings, or become a dedicated tweakhead -- a win-win scenario imho . . .

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100
ronP

Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Postby elmosexwhistle » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:52 pm

i posted my answer in the wrong section...but yeah, the nord sounds more refined and far less aliased, has an agressive dark character, but can do beautiful little analogue burbles, has 99 patches to store your sounds instead of 32, 16 note polyphony instead of 10, it also looks far cooler thanks to the nifty red paint job...programming patches really isnt too hard and i just feel there's more depth to the nord...x
elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Postby Umbe78 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:28 pm

has 40 patches to store if you don't have a memory card
just one of us
Umbe78
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: NE3 73, MD & MM SFX6, MEK, JP4 & JX3P, Yamaha FGX, Gibson SG, Live 8.2 Suite, Komplete 7, Launchpad, Touchable
Band: The Punker

Postby Dirk » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:45 pm

Umbe78 wrote:has 40 patches to store if you don't have a memory card

A midi bump takes about a sec.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.
Dirk

Postby Synthprophet » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:15 pm

The memory shouldn't be the problem if you are using the librarian software for the Roland and I don't think the smaller polyphony in it makes much more difference in your case. Anyway I would choose the Nord as it is pretty simple laid out, much better than the 201.
In my case I find it is easier to replicate the sound I want on the Nord, so I guess it must be the same to others.
Synthprophet

Postby OriginalJambo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:39 am

I'd take the Nord - better build, greater polyphony and looks cool too.
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Check my sig

Postby Echelon » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:40 am

I have the SH201 and it's a pretty good little synth, they say it's great for learning, but I have not really gotten what I've wanted out of it. I use it, sure, but if I could go back I'd have gotten the Nord. The nice thing about the 201 is that it has a VSTi interface that great for tweaking from the computer. Good luck on your decision!
Echelon

Postby oceanbourne » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:08 am

I am in the odd position of owning both a Nord Lead 2X and an SH-201. I got the SH-201 first and like it overall but it's not the caliber of instrument that the Nord is, either. However, I've kept it because it's super-light, works as a good little USB softsynth controller when I am on the road and don't want to fool with something larger, and it does have some really good sounds.

I don't know how much the Nord 2 lacks that the 2X has, but I love the 2X. I would go with a Nord. However, unlike a lot of ppl on here, I am not going to diss the SH-201 . . . it's a fun synth and its sound quality is alright too.
Oceanbourne

http://www.myspace.com/faeroerne

Bösendorfer 170, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland Juno-G, Nord Lead 2X, Roland SH-201, microKorg, Ensoniq EPS-16+, Novation X-Station, CME-UF7 (for softsynths & Kontakt).
oceanbourne

Postby crystalmsc » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:41 am

FriscoJohn wrote:My main goal is to learn about synthesis, particularly analog modeling, for fun, and perhaps eventually performance use and recording.

I'd go with the NL2 for all that, specially put through some pedal.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Postby newwavesyria » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:56 am

i'd say nord, it's a great synth and in case you don't get into synths that much, you can sell it easier than 201
newwavesyria

Postby bill H. » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:44 pm

Both are great synths to learn on. They are both set up pretty much just like an analog synth.

I like the sound of both, but would advise getting the Nord. It will hold it's value far better than the more mass-produced Roland. If you do decide to sell down the line it you probably won't lose anything.
bill H.

Postby philbar » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:09 pm

oceanbourne wrote:I am in the odd position of owning both a Nord Lead 2X and an SH-201. I got the SH-201 first and like it overall but it's not the caliber of instrument that the Nord is, either. However, I've kept it because it's super-light, works as a good little USB softsynth controller when I am on the road and don't want to fool with something larger, and it does have some really good sounds.

I don't know how much the Nord 2 lacks that the 2X has, but I love the 2X. I would go with a Nord. However, unlike a lot of ppl on here, I am not going to diss the SH-201 . . . it's a fun synth and its sound quality is alright too.

me too.

the 201 is really very good for certain pads but its not multi timbral and therefore i really only use it for controlling soft synths and pad sounds.

the nord is a love/hate device. its a great synth but ultimately not the best va. if i could afford a synth in this genre it would be a virus.

Access Virus Ti Polar + Ableton Live
philbar

Gear: Roland Sh-2
Access Virus Ti Polar
Roland Tr-606
Korg Micro-x
Akai MPC 1000

Return to General Synthesizers