Alesis Andromeda and the "errors"

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:20 pm

elmacaco wrote:
Dirk wrote: (You don't have enough time in a life to explore all the possibilities of the A6.)
That's one of the most beautiful things. I think all synths are infinite, but the Andromeda is infinite in almost all directions, feels like I'm floating in a sea of soundheaven when I program it.

Thanks for the envelope offset tip, gotta try that ASAP!
You should be able to generate a certain measure of milage with a JX-10/MKS-70 and a PG-800. Despite the supposed sonic limitations, it's a wonderful value for less than $600 American dollars.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Keith Phillips
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Micron, Roland SH101, Juno60, Yamaha FS1R, SY85, SU700, Kurzweil K2000VP, Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, intermorphic noatikl

Post by Keith Phillips » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:35 am

Dirk wrote:Does 1.40.13 have bugs?

The reason that for example the minimoogs envelopes sound so snappy is because they are cliped. This means that they stay at maximum level for about 30ms before they go into the decay stage.
You can do this on the A6 by making the envelope level higher than 100.
Or: Set D2 level to max and make decay1 30ms. (basicaly same as clipping, but now you can set the envelope level below 100)
I don't feel that it is buggy...At least I haven't run into any additional bugs on top of the known list (like the square wave bug where 52% pulse width is the real 50% square wave) stuff like that.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:09 am

I'm gona try 1.40.13 asap.

I like the exta envelope options.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

realtrance

Post by realtrance » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:42 pm

The extra envelope options are in 1.40.12, the last official OS release (and probably the one in your A6). 1.40.13 is a beta release and doesn't have anything new in features, and was never fully final-tested prior to release. It is beta, and will never be otherwise. So you take your chances with it, and if something goes wrong after downloading it, it's you paying Alesis, not them fulfilling your warranty. :) The Engine Optimizer settings (valid per patch, and saved per patch) are all present in 1.40.12.

There's a lot of FUD on the internet re: the A6. Some call its envelopes oogy and not fast enough, others now are calling them clicky and too fast. They're neither. They're massively editable and the most sophisticated envelopes you'll get on a synth (which means you need to learn how to use them).

If you buy an A6 new and it's defective, get it fixed or get it replaced by the store you bought it from. There was a short run about a year ago where a number showed up defective; Alesis stopped all production after that happened, and have apparently fixed the problem as there have been no further complaints. Alesis doesn't do regular runs of manufacture, last I heard rumor was they make about 20/month (which is pretty good, actually!). So you may hear lots of "have they stopped making the A6?!" hysteria when someone can't find one in stock or a store can't get one because (theorizing here) Alesis is waiting until they can confirm another order base of at least 20 units before they initiate another round of manufacture.

That's all I know, or can speculate about, on this. :)

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:38 am

The Andromeda remains my favorite sounding synth. It's not the complexity nor the Moog/Obie emulation that I care about ... it's the sound. The A6 just has a special character that speaks to me more than any other synth.

I was one of the unlucky ones who got a unit for the "bad batch" a year ago. It turned me off to the Andromeda for a while on the fear that Alesis couldn't service the synth competently anymore. Now that people are reporting success stories again, I'm just about ready to try owning an Andromeda (for the third time).

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:11 pm

I'm not really for or against it (I always thought they were ugly, but I'm sure they sound great), but that's kind of amazing that they continue to produce them at a rate of 20 a month, considering what a huge company Alesis is. You'd think the bean counters would declare it not worth their time for what's probably 20k a month of profit.

Mitchell
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

WDW

Post by WDW » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:09 am

celebutante wrote:I always thought they were ugly, but I'm sure they sound great.
When I have you over to my studio, we'll reinforce the former and confirm the latter.
celebutante wrote:I'm not really for or against.
And I'm pretty sure that you will take a position in favour.

:)

WD