Korg MS-2000 Vs. Roland JP-8000 which...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Korg MS-2000 Vs. Roland JP-8000 which...

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:31 pm

would you sell? And reasons why you chose to keep your choice. :)

Yep I have both and am looking to part with one. I've leaned towards one but I would like to hear some opinions.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

TAV

Post by TAV » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:33 pm

Both great synths, and on paper the JP has the edge, but imo, the MS2000 will be regarded more of a classic in time to come.
why? ....for me the sound charactor. I always found the JP had a sort of plastic sound, something not quite right. The MS always seemed to come up with more interesting results, particularly with the excellent mod sequencer in action. Thwe 4 note poly is a pain though.

But, what ever does it for your ears should be your choice.

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:50 am

i have used both and to be honest, the jp8000 never really appealed to me. sure it's great for bass and has a few bells and whistles (ribbon controller), but i think the ms2000 is capable of a wider range of sounds. i have even considered selling my ms2000 a few times, but every time i play it i know why it's still here. its just so damn easy to come up with interesting sounds! :D

clueless

Post by clueless » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:55 am

another owner of both. On paper... everything says I should keep the JP. However.... the MS2000B looks so cool and just gives you something different every time you switch it on. I plan on keeping both but if one had to go it would be the JP I'm afraid.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:12 am

Wow so far the votes have been for the MS-2000. Anyone out their loving their JP?

I like the tone control and the delay sections the JP has as well at the supersaw. I am going to have to taste test them against each other again.

In your experiences have you found that the MS is bassier than the JP? I am looking to choose the one that can do electro/Mr. Oizo/Justice type sounding bass more convincingly. Also shoegaze/triphop/lo-fi goodness sort of sounds.

Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming. :D

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:30 am

I used to have both; but still have the JP-8080. (Can't comment on the keyboard features of the JP-8000)

I think the MS2000 is a little bit more unique in terms of programming and the utilisation of the analogue style sequencing / modulation. The JP has nice morphing and of course supersaw.

I was arguably more adapt at the MS2000 as had it for 7 years since new (jeez time flies) and was a lot more fun to program (could play at the same time, rather then JP-8080 + keyboard)

In saying that, the core reason for selling the MS2000 before the JP-8080 was space, I basically sold the MS2000 and a Waldorf µQ to pay for a Waldorf Q. I also had the MS2000 for seven years, and *shrugs* wanted a change.

The JP-8080 is technically on my "for sale" list, and I have a buyer ready to go whenever I feel like selling it. I haven't really used it much since I got my hands on a Novation SuperNova II which was meant to (and so far has) replaced it.

Given a choice, not sure... I would have to limit myself to only the pair of them and A/B between them. Would be happy with either of them. Also would think about what kind of music I was making most at the time, and what I was intending to replace them with.

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:33 am

RobotHeroes wrote:Also shoegaze/triphop/lo-fi goodness sort of sounds.
the ms2000 can definitely do shoegaze and lo-fi goodness, not sure about the trip-hop part though. maybe with some careful programming...

ElGorilla

Post by ElGorilla » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:37 am

The JP also has the feedback oscillator and the delay is pretty good. Also has the JP more polyphony.

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:08 am

I too owned both....at the same time. Upgraded the JP to an Andromeda, and the MS to a Q.

Both have great UI's...JP is laid out better, but MS is more fun.
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:54 am

Which synth do you use more? Do you really use both equally and need the opinions of baised people to tell you which to keep? Surely there is one you just like better, that you turn to more, that will satisfy your desires more...

PS: I would pay 600$ for the Supersaw alone.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:32 am

*head explodes* haha.

Great stuff group. I use one for a while and ignore the other and then reverse roles. One hasn't really been dominant. I wanted to know which was favorable on the board to look at them much closer and make the choice.

Well one is gonna show up in gear for sale. If you're in So. Cal keep your eyes peeled if you're in the market for one.

The reason I am selling one is to gather the money for a sampler/drum machine(an MPC1000 most likely or dare to dream of a used elektron machinedrum...h**l a monomachine sounds nice too but I should keep on task for a sampler/drum machine)