Poll in regards to sequencing. Participate if you have a sec

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

I sequence most of the time using:

Computer software only
26%
Computer software although I have hardware available
36%
Hardware (dedicated sequencer)
18%
Hardware (groovebox or xox type)
15%
Hardware (built in synth ie m1/evolver)
5%

Total votes: 94

hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Poll in regards to sequencing. Participate if you have a sec

Post by hearttimes » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:23 am

I was curious as to what vse users primarily sequence with.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:54 am

Alesis MMT-8. Best $70 I ever spent.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:07 am

I use Digital Performer for everything except for drums for some of my projects. I use an MPC for some drums. The hype about MPCs is true. They do (or allow you to do) something special to the beats.

Rusty O'Hara

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:14 am

Studio is mainly computer with Cubase. Drums via MachineDrum. And some RS7000.

Live is RS7000

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:26 am

Fruity Loops currently, but probably moving to Sonar or Logic as FL doesn't integrate with my O1x mixer/interface. I simply can't use a hardware sequencer after being spoiled by FL's.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:35 am

i was using a Roland MC-50....but got rid of it once I got rid of everything with midi.....then i picked up SCI-600 and I am now using my mpc-60 as a sequencer for that.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:48 am

Could someone tell me why people still sequence with hardware? Is it for a more intuitive feel, or that kind of thing..?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:10 am

i_watch_stars wrote:Could someone tell me why people still sequence with hardware? Is it for a more intuitive feel, or that kind of thing..?
Yeah, something like that. I had been using Cubase for a long time for sequencing and it just wasn't much fun. I looked into some hardware sequencers and I bought an Alesis MMT-8 this month and it just offers a really rewarding and hands-on experience that I never got from my computer. I can just turn different tracks on and off at the same time (something I can't do with a mouse) and turn them on again- or not. Also, it's really portable. I don't own a laptop so bringing any kind of software sequencer to a band practice is out of the question. Also they're usually cheap.
soundcloud.com/vectron

hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Post by hearttimes » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:51 am

i_watch_stars wrote:Could someone tell me why people still sequence with hardware? Is it for a more intuitive feel, or that kind of thing..?
when i do it, it's just for fun.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:22 am

Alex E wrote:
Yeah, something like that. I had been using Cubase for a long time for sequencing and it just wasn't much fun. I looked into some hardware sequencers and I bought an Alesis MMT-8 this month and it just offers a really rewarding and hands-on experience that I never got from my computer. I can just turn different tracks on and off at the same time (something I can't do with a mouse) and turn them on again- or not. Also, it's really portable. I don't own a laptop so bringing any kind of software sequencer to a band practice is out of the question. Also they're usually cheap.
Good points.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:26 am

Cubase isn't fun, but it's much easier to use than hardware for what I do.
virb.com/ookpikk

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:38 am

I mostly just use my fingers for keys and built-in sequencers for drums. Sometimes I use my ER-1 to sequence other stuff since it has an xox. I occasionally use the arp out of my djx on my ESQ-1. Sort of fun.

Whats the main appeal of sequncing?

I mean, I want an mmt-8 for a little fun or something, but why don't people just multi-track instead?
so what do I put down here now?

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: The Metamorph

Post by Logan 5 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:10 am

EM-1 AND MMT-8.Don't use a computer at all for music,except to upload it to internet!
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,VOLCA,JV1000,CIRCUIT,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

https://twitter.com/TheMetamorphUK
https://themetamorph.bandcamp.com/

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:20 am

I only really use the computer for arranging but even then I prefer to flick between patterns on the fly and record the audio. Altering parameter values on the fly for each step comes into its own when using analogue step style sequencers like on my Polymorph, AN1X/Drehbank and especially the Regelwerk. The Revoluton is also the best xox style sequencer I've used and is also great to edit whilst in action.
Tweaking, switching, muting or looping with as many buttons and sliders I can get in front of me is much more intuitive and fun for me than dragging a mouse around a screen although the PC is still the best way for arranging large chuncks of data or very fine edits.

modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Post by modulator_esp » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:01 pm

Sequentix P3 and Doepfer MAQ 16/3 primarily, augmented by the sequencers in the XL-7 and the Nord Modulars, all recorded live to hard disk.
mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)