Back in the Yamaha CS Club

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
soto

Post by soto » Sun May 18, 2008 7:14 pm

i think the cs-30 is a great sounding synth and for me it has been a little difficult to understand the signal path, but i am working on it, i want to ask the members from the cs club if there is a site where i can see some patches so i can go further in learning of this synth.
i want to show you my cs-30 but i dont know how to up load pictures can some one explain how?
greets.
Moog voyager, Prophet 8, Juno 60, Arp odyssey mkII, Ms-20, Sq-10, Elka rhapsody, Cs-30, Yc-20, Microwave xt, Nordlead 2x, Novation supernova, Fantom 6, pro 88, and virtual synths....

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun May 18, 2008 8:38 pm

I have a CS 40M which I bought for $300 about two years ago. It was in a climate controlled closet (for the art works stored) of a local art gallery and hadn't been used since I don't know when.

(It still isn't being used, but since I now have a Voyager, I wonder if there's a way to hook both of them up together? hmmm... I've been thinking of selling it anyway, but that hook up has to be tried first).

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Dreamtronix

Post by Dreamtronix » Tue May 20, 2008 2:18 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:I have a CS 40M which I bought for $300 about two years ago. It was in a climate controlled closet (for the art works stored) of a local art gallery and hadn't been used since I don't know when.

(It still isn't being used, but since I now have a Voyager, I wonder if there's a way to hook both of them up together? hmmm... I've been thinking of selling it anyway, but that hook up has to be tried first).

Please pm me when you are ready to sell it. Seriously :D
Roland: Jupiter-8, Jupiter-6(x2), MC-808, MP-600, RS-09,

Yamaha: CS-30, SK-15

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue May 20, 2008 12:42 pm

Dreamtronix wrote:
Phollop Willing PA wrote:I have a CS 40M which I bought for $300 about two years ago. It was in a climate controlled closet (for the art works stored) of a local art gallery and hadn't been used since I don't know when.

If you showed up to my door with a new Little Phatty, I would trade you. Seriously... (Where are you located btw?)

I never put it up for sale on eBay because of it's size and weight. I tried selling it locally, but no luck.

Someone once posted here, if you've got it, use it. I think that's good advice, besides, it matches my SK 10.

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Dreamtronix

Post by Dreamtronix » Tue May 20, 2008 7:13 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
Dreamtronix wrote:

If you showed up to my door with a new Little Phatty, I would trade you. Seriously... (Where are you located btw?)

I never put it up for sale on eBay because of it's size and weight. I tried selling it locally, but no luck.

Someone once posted here, if you've got it, use it. I think that's good advice, besides, it matches my SK 10.

I don't blame you for not wanting to ship a vintage piece. I shipped a Roland SH-2 to Canada and it was destroyed despite being in it's original hardcase and also being well packaged.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Little Phatty for trade and I live in the States (Southern California).

I thought the CS40m would be a nice match for my SK15. :D

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Tue May 20, 2008 7:24 pm

Buy me two tickets (one for me and one for the CS 40M) and have the equivalent $$$ for a LP and I'll bring it to you... :lol: Heck, I'd even include the SK 10 and you would be well on the way to a Yamaha synth museum.

Hmmm, maybe I should drive instead - now that's a scary thought. Always wanted to see California (except LA for some reason).

Maybe a gig or two wouldn't hurt either...

Dreamtronix

Post by Dreamtronix » Wed May 21, 2008 2:32 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:Buy me two tickets (one for me and one for the CS 40M) and have the equivalent $$$ for a LP and I'll bring it to you... :lol: Heck, I'd even include the SK 10 and you would be well on the way to a Yamaha synth museum.

Hmmm, maybe I should drive instead - now that's a scary thought. Always wanted to see California (except LA for some reason).

Maybe a gig or two wouldn't hurt either...
Hmm... That's a tempting offer! :lol:

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Wed May 21, 2008 2:48 am

Just upgraded my position in the CS club 8)

Monkey business since 2007!

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Wed May 21, 2008 1:14 pm

I used to have a CS-10 before i upgraded to my CS-40M and it was a wicked little synth. I thought its best features by far were its very fast attack time and the awsome external audio input. I used to filter my drum machine through its HP filter.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Sat May 24, 2008 7:26 am

Got meself a CS-10 the other day. Bought is as junk, but actually it works almost perfectly, and looks nice too. The only problem is a wee bit of crackle in the VCA LFO MOD knob, and the PW knob seems to need calibration (PW reaches maximum (ie no sound at all) at the 3 o‘clock position. Only the PW, not PWM though. But what do i know, maybe it's supposed to behave like this...)

Nice little synth, but I'll probably sell it on.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Sat May 24, 2008 4:01 pm

MONKEY!
SickMonkey wrote: maybe it's supposed to behave like this...
That's quite different from mine.... even all the way to the right, the sound doesn't "pw into silence"
Monkey business since 2007!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun May 25, 2008 12:39 am

soto wrote:i think the cs-30 is a great sounding synth and for me it has been a little difficult to understand the signal path, but i am working on it, i want to ask the members from the cs club if there is a site where i can see some patches so i can go further in learning of this synth.
i want to show you my cs-30 but i dont know how to up load pictures can some one explain how?
greets.
download this CS-30 patch manual. It can probably help you figure it out.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi ... CS30E2.pdf
Do you even post on vse bro?

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Sun May 25, 2008 4:22 am

Sexor wrote:MONKEY!

That's quite different from mine.... even all the way to the right, the sound doesn't "pw into silence"
Interesting. Wonder where one adjusts such a thing. Though the CS-10 seems a bit fiddly to open, at least compared to my juno-106 (-es) and my Polysix (gotta love synths with hinges).

Also, everone elses CS-10s...how do they behave?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun May 25, 2008 1:44 pm

SickMonkey wrote:
Sexor wrote: Also, everone elses CS-10s...how do they behave?
No silent position on the PW knob on my CS10 either.

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Sun May 25, 2008 2:10 pm

After some further investigation, I've come to realise that it's a dodgy pot. If i jiggle it a bit, i works all the way, albeit with plenty of crackling.

EDIT: And after some more jiggling, the crackling is gone.