Back in the Yamaha CS Club

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ndkent

Post by ndkent » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:54 am

That is a darn good price for the technics. FWIW CS-10s are real common in Japan and almost always sell for around that price. The other poster is correct, holding out for a CS-15 does give you a synth with a good deal more for a lot less money than the harder to find CS-30, though a CS-10 is better than a 5 or much better than no CS at all!

I guess it does say something that it's technic's only analog synth. I guess companies from time to time think synths are cheap to make and easy to sell. But while a lot of people will jump to pay $100 now for a used one those things were around $400/¥79,800 back in 1978. So while not that expensive they were by no means really cheaper or better than established Japanese brands with professional names and more models to choose from.

Also for what it's worth, while some monosynths had IC chips for VCFs, VCAs, especially if a company had a whole line of synths and most definitely if they had polysynths in their product line, many monosynths are more or less discrete.

nick

spent a couple hours in Aomori in 2005

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:01 am

JSRockit wrote:Hey, wait your turn buddy. I'd pay $200 for that synth in a second. Where did you find it for that price?
Haha, I'm afraid I can't compete with Mister Rockit if we would have to bid back and forth for it. I've seen what he's willing to pay for stuff. :wink: I haven't found one myself but from the few people that I have heard of (Mixolydian included) that found them in Japan, I haven't heard of one going for more than about $50-60 US from the recycle shops. I can't justify paying more than the going rate for something just because it is small and cute. No offense, JS.

That said, I'd probably drop $100-150 on one considering the rarity in the US and the shipping involved, not that I plan to get one anytime soon. I was just putting it out there. I wasn't trying to steal it out from under you. Its cool man, take a deep breath and say "serenity now" OOhhhmmmm.
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:01 am

Well, thanks for all the offers, but I'm keeping the SY-1010, and the likelyhood of me finding another is pretty slim. Still, if I do decide to sell it, I'll post it here. I'll see if I can adjust the trim pots and get the oscillator to stay put. I haven't been able to find a schematic yet, but a friend at a Japanese music store sent a request to Technics for one.

And sure, I do wish I had a CS-15 which IMO, is the best of the CS series. About a year ago I played a CS-30L. It was loads of fun, but with so many knobs it was hard to know what did what to what. (If I found one cheap though, I'd jump on it.)

And yes, Japan is full of CS-10s, CS-15s, and occasional CS-30s. Here are few on Yahoo Auction (Japan.) Also, most of the action on Yahoo Auction is between 9 and 12 midnight on Sundays. So a 10,000 yen bid might be tripple or better just before the auction ends. Also, most auctions have an added feature that extends the end time by 10 minutes if there is a bid in the last 5 minutes. So an auction scheduled to end at 11pm may last until 1 or 2 am if people keep bidding.

Yamaha CS-10
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b80049291
Yamaha CS-15
http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/102503835
Yamaha CS-30
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b80308899
Yamaha CS01
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m46821007

clueless

Post by clueless » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:14 am

Mixolydian wrote:Well, thanks for all the offers, but I'm keeping the SY-1010, and the likelyhood of me finding another is pretty slim. Still, if I do decide to sell it, I'll post it here. I'll see if I can adjust the trim pots and get the oscillator to stay put. I haven't been able to find a schematic yet, but a friend at a Japanese music store sent a request to Technics for one.

And sure, I do wish I had a CS-15 which IMO, is the best of the CS series. About a year ago I played a CS-30L. It was loads of fun, but with so many knobs it was hard to know what did what to what. (If I found one cheap though, I'd jump on it.)

And yes, Japan is full of CS-10s, CS-15s, and occasional CS-30s. Here are few on Yahoo Auction (Japan.) Also, most of the action on Yahoo Auction is between 9 and 12 midnight on Sundays. So a 10,000 yen bid might be tripple or better just before the auction ends. Also, most auctions have an added feature that extends the end time by 10 minutes if there is a bid in the last 5 minutes. So an auction scheduled to end at 11pm may last until 1 or 2 am if people keep bidding.

Yamaha CS-10
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b80049291
Yamaha CS-15
http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/102503835
Yamaha CS-30
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b80308899
Yamaha CS01
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m46821007
The problem with the posts in Yahoo Japan is that the sellers never post internationally. I think it is both a matter of trust and language barriers. I have tried many times to get the sellers to ship to the UK where I keep the bulk of my collection. However, they are never willing to do that. I therfor have to get it posted to my home in Japan and then go through the extra expence of posting it myself there after. A pain in the a*s but.... what can you do?
Of course... anyone is welcome to try and bid for these but my guess is you will be wasting your time.
It was nice of Mixolydian to show everyone just what can get and the bargains that can be had in Japan though..... if you live here that is.

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:14 am

Yea, I did post the Yahoo Auction links as examples. I know that 99% of the listings state that they won't ship internationally. Some stuff is cheaper and some more expensive than the standard US ebay price. Anything Roland and analog seems to go fairly high.

There are many people who make a living buying on Yahoo Auction (and the recycle shops ) and selling on ebay. You've seen them - From Tokyo To You, etc. I should do it.

clueless

Post by clueless » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:46 am

I used to be one of these people until a few berks on here started gunning for me. I then gave it all up because I coudn't be bothered with all the hassle. I did it out of love for synths and to provide a service to folk who couldn't get the gear otherwise. I did not profit greatly on each sale but it was fun while it lasted.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:17 pm

KLAXON wrote:I can't justify paying more than the going rate for something just because it is small and cute. No offense, JS.

That said, I'd probably drop $100-150 on one considering the rarity in the US and the shipping involved, not that I plan to get one anytime soon. I was just putting it out there. I wasn't trying to steal it out from under you. Its cool man, take a deep breath and say "serenity now" OOhhhmmmm.
Ah, guilty as charged. I would pay the cash because it is rare and $200 is not alot of cash to me...even if it is a premium for that synth...just because it is small and cute. :oops: I'm better off forgetting about it though. I was kidding anyway about you having to wait. If he was willing to find you another, by all means that's cool with me.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Showroom Dummy

Post by Showroom Dummy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:27 am

Bought my CS10 for about 60 usd at a flea market. Best buy I ever made. Some minor issues to be fixed, but it works fine.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:04 am

Mixolydian wrote:Oh yea, I also found this whacky 1 oscillator monophonic for $20, Technics SY-1010.

Only one waveform, sort of a sawtooth I guess., sounds kind of warm and buzzy. :albino: The oscillator drifts like crazy, but whatever - $20. Also, it has no dedicated VCO, VCF, or VCA ICs, just transistors, opamp ICs, and point to point circuits. So it should be rather easy to mod this. I don't think I'll ever find a schematic for it, so I may just have to experiment. :glasses3:
You'll be happy to know that your $20 synth is worth about $400 or more on eBay. That's what I sold mine for.
I have a demo of it on my YouTube page.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:25 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote: You'll be happy to know that your $20 synth is worth about $400 or more on eBay. That's what I sold mine for.
Showroom Dummy was just bumping an old thread, but amusingly enough, the original poster, Mixolydian, noted your demo on the first page when asked for sound examples. :D

excellent demo by the way. clear, concise, and entertaining.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:57 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:You'll be happy to know that your $20 synth is worth about $400 or more on eBay. That's what I sold mine for.
I like the overall design of the synth, it's indeed looks like a $400 (or more) synth. 20 bucks for a minty looking as the pic is absolutely a rare bargain.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:41 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:You'll be happy to know that your $20 synth is worth about $400 or more on eBay. That's what I sold mine for.
I like the overall design of the synth, it's indeed looks like a $400 (or more) synth. 20 bucks for a minty looking as the pic is absolutely a rare bargain.
I still have the SY-1010. It does look good, but it sounds buzzy, plus mine is still out of calibration (440 one octave up is not 880.) It is an excellent noise box though - very much like a circuit bent synth.

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:44 pm

killedaway wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote: You'll be happy to know that your $20 synth is worth about $400 or more on eBay. That's what I sold mine for.
Showroom Dummy was just bumping an old thread, but amusingly enough, the original poster, Mixolydian, noted your demo on the first page when asked for sound examples. :D

excellent demo by the way. clear, concise, and entertaining.
Thanks, but that wasn't my demo. I never did get around to posting one. I'll see what I can do this weekend.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:38 pm

Mixolydian wrote: Thanks, but that wasn't my demo. I never did get around to posting one. I'll see what I can do this weekend.
you guys keep misreading each other, including me! :cry:

i said it was Automatic Gainsay's demo, and that you posted it. check above.

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:37 am

killedaway wrote:
Mixolydian wrote: Thanks, but that wasn't my demo. I never did get around to posting one. I'll see what I can do this weekend.
you guys keep misreading each other, including me! :cry:

i said it was Automatic Gainsay's demo, and that you posted it. check above.
Oh.., English. I thought it was hex. :roll:

Still, I'll get a demo or song up using my CS-10.