new analog monosynth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Factory all stars
Gear: ms 20 mini ,sq1,,tr33, Gibson 330,Gibson sg,fender deluxe reverb vermona mono lancet,melodica,various and copious effects pedals,jx3p
Band: Stockholme Syndrome

new analog monosynth?

Post by Factory all stars » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:55 pm

so theres gonna be a new analog poly from dave smith?Great news!But how about a mono version?Personally i'd love one.Fair enough i could buy a pro one of ebay but couldn't justify /afford the upkeep.As for the mono he has out at the minute,respect but i dont need digital oscs,seq,memory. leave these off, sell a bit cheaper.SORTED :D

clueless

Post by clueless » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:41 pm

Hmm... I'm of the opinion that the addition of memory and a seq are a good thing..... but I get your point.

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:49 pm

Perhaps you could have titled this thread,

"Where is the DSI Mon08?"

As for your comment, "i dont need digital oscs,seq,memory. leave these off,
sell a bit cheaper". I'm assuming you meant DCO's and not digital oscillators.
Why don't you just go and purchase an MFB synth and be done with it? Or, when DSI releases their new VCO mono you can pawn the MFB.

Or you can purchase the new MacBeth that will be released some time in the future (not specifying whether that future is near of far).

-Jim
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:50 pm

So, you want a modern pro one? I doubt it will happen. I mean, you buy a MEK and forget about the features you don't want to use.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

yburn

Post by yburn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:07 pm

I doubt knocking off a bunch of features in the MEK would result in a considerably cheaper mono, especially if those features are the digital components which are cheap. Unless you knock out all the digital components, and hence the need for ROMs it probably wouldn't be any cheaper at all. If you did that you'd need to put analog lfos and mod routings in which would increase the price.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:38 pm

why not get the mono evolver from DSI
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Bob-omb

Post by Bob-omb » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:40 am

wiss wrote:why not get the mono evolver from DSI
Well said. I highly recommend you to try it out!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Re: new analog monosynth?

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:15 am

Factory all stars wrote:i dont need digital oscs,seq,memory. leave these off, sell a bit cheaper.SORTED :D
The Little Phatty's worth a look. The Stage edition should be slightly cheaper than the MEK.

Yes, yes, yes the MEK can do much more...we know all this. But the LP is simple, effective and most of all fun.

If you want a modern analogue mono that sounds great and has the bulk of the cost going straight into build quality, sound quality and not features that you don't need (sequencers, effects etc.) then it might be worth a shot.

I demoed the MEK when I went into Sound Control and asked for "vintage analogue" and I wasn't impressed with the analogue side of things and found getting basic leads and basses a bit cumbersome. With the LP it's a snap simply because you aren't bogged down with features. It's a winner in that respect. :)
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:44 pm

Factory all stars, how much are you looking to spend? Is the LP not cheap enough or do you not like Moog?

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:52 pm

JSRockit wrote:So, you want a modern pro one?
That was my very first immediate thought when I read this original post.

Factory all stars
Gear: ms 20 mini ,sq1,,tr33, Gibson 330,Gibson sg,fender deluxe reverb vermona mono lancet,melodica,various and copious effects pedals,jx3p
Band: Stockholme Syndrome

Post by Factory all stars » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:03 pm

Good evening!The sort of sounds i have in my head lean towards early new order who i know used among other synths,the pro one and moog source.I've nothing against moog but i just think the sound is too recognisable if that makes any sense[probably not]CHEERS!

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:20 pm

23 wrote:
JSRockit wrote:So, you want a modern pro one?
That was my very first immediate thought when I read this original post.
Sign me up, I want a modern pro-one.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:37 pm

Factory all stars wrote:Good evening!The sort of sounds i have in my head lean towards early new order who i know used among other synths,the pro one and moog source.I've nothing against moog but i just think the sound is too recognisable if that makes any sense[probably not]CHEERS!
New Order didn't use the Pro-One too much. The Source was used for its thick bass tones, i.e the bass in Blue Monday. Otherwise the mono sounds you hear in Movement, PC&L, etc. is mostly ARP (Quadra) and Voyetra 8 which was used in unison mode a lot. If you really dig those sounds, then pick up an ARP Solus or a Pro One would work. OR get a MEK which rules for those early New Order sounds!

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:02 am

i can't imagine DSI not trying to squeeze at least another product out of the P'08 engine the way the Evolver took on 4 flavours. another mono synth is pretty obvious with the warm reception of the LPhatty.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:58 pm

Here you go... new monosynth back from the dead:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2007/08 ... sizer.html