Maybe I don't need a room full of synths afterall..

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Peter Kearney

Maybe I don't need a room full of synths afterall..

Post by Peter Kearney » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:09 pm

:?:
Last edited by Peter Kearney on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:33 pm

thought it sounded excellent at the start, up until u changed the osc wave.

yip, less gear often means more creativity.

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: The Metamorph

Post by Logan 5 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:13 pm

I really liked it Peter.I agree that a minimal approach can sometimes work extremely well-we are all different in the way we make music,but I have a small set-up and try to make what little I have go a long way.
The piece reminded me of the wonderful "Dignity of Labour" by early Human League.
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,VOLCA,JV1000,CIRCUIT,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

https://twitter.com/TheMetamorphUK
https://themetamorph.bandcamp.com/

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:54 pm

cool!
is it hardware?

sounds like a pro 53 soft patchy..

I like this kind of minimalistic stuff..

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:58 pm

Yes it sounds a little like early Human League. The begaining sounds very much like 'Toyota City' which is off thier Travelogue LP. Well done, it sounds excellent. :)
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:13 pm

Sounds good. I don't have a lot of gear to begin with but I am thinking of minimizing down. I don't want to end up with 20 synths and a bunch of racks, It would be nice to have all the options available around me but I am poor haha.

Cutting down to essentials would make me concentrate on really learning my equipment, as well as push me to unlock total potential. I don't really like the idea of having equipment around that I don't need or aren't going to really use. Someone else out their could be making them shine.

Your equipment should bring you enjoyment when you make music and thats what really matters. Right? Or have my circuits been fried? hahaha. :lol:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

sebazo

Post by sebazo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:23 pm

Nice!
Sounds similar to Thom Yorke's last work...
I just imagine Thom Yorke singing something on it, don't you think? :D

yburn

Post by yburn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:23 pm

I find even having a few bit and bobs I end up using the same 2 or 4 sources. What I do like though is picking up a synth I've not used for a little while and programming and then creating a track out of my efforts. I find that quite inspiring. When working with other people it also helps to know that I can reach over to the pulse and pull out a monster bass sound, or fire up the MW1 and get clear punchy sounds and pull down that filter on them.. actually why the f**k am I sitting here I'm off to make sound! MW.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Post by prinsen » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:34 am

My workflow is better with less gear as well. I find it hard to keep focus with too many options at hand, but thoroughly enjoy squeezing everything out of a minimal setup. I have to keep reminding myself that I REALLY don't need X synth and Y drum machine.

Your tune. My guess is Ion/Micron?

presets
No Longer Registered

Post by presets » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:54 am

the way you are tweaking those sounds makes me think its a nord modular

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:13 am

Have you been to the listening lounge? Lots of people here make cute little songs on only one synth, its a normal part of being a synth-nut..not really anything to draw attention to.

Speaking of which, this belongs in listening lounge.

prince fan 2

Post by prince fan 2 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:27 am

if a band can put a song together with;

drums.bass guitar..lead guitar...and a vocal..

it has to be that easy...

im having fun at the moment with a proteus 1 rack..drumstation...and a alesis bass unit..with one effect machine.

im geting some good progress,and understanding more the slower i go.

i spend long amounts of time listening to whats really going on in a song
to make it sound special from the rest.

Peter Kearney

i_swatch_stars wins!

Post by Peter Kearney » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:48 am

Last edited by Peter Kearney on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

memo

Re: i_swatch_stars wins!

Post by memo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:07 am

I agree about minimizing setups - forcing yourself to use just a single bit of kit can push you to be more creative with sound design. You can find yourself stretching yourself creatively.
Peter Kearney wrote:congrats i_swatch_stars, you win.. not in the which synth I used game but in the how long will it take someone to say something assinine game. 10 posts in! Nice!
i_watch_stars can sometimes be a bit of a troll with needless negativity. Since everyone else seemed to like talking about the subject of minimizing gear, his comment was unnecessary.

But like all trolls, it's best not to feed them with a response.

It's precisely when people start feeding trolls that message boards explode in c**p. I'm totally guilty of troll feeding sometimes, but I've been thinking about simply avoiding any response to needless negativity.

Anyway, welcome to the board.

Peter Kearney

Back to the topic.. interesting guesses!

Post by Peter Kearney » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:13 am

Last edited by Peter Kearney on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.