Ebay + alcohol = bad idea!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Ebay + alcohol = bad idea!

Post by Sexor » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:18 am

Ok, here's the deal:

I came home on Tuesday night, wasted out of my mind and for some reason I decided to browse around on ebay.... in my drunkedness, I decided to do a "Buy it now" on an Akai AX-60, something I had definately not planned to do, especially in light of the fact that the synth weighs 90 pounds (don't even know what that is in kilos) in a flightcase and is located in California, practically on the other side of Earth from where I am in the Netherlands.

Now, I am commited to buy this synth which isn't really such a bad thing because I've always wanted an AX60, but I'm trying to work out the shipping cost with the seller, who says the best deal he has found is around 3-400 dollars via UPS or FedEx which is waaaaay too much. In fact that's basically the whole price of the synth again :shock:

So, I was wandering if any of you live in the L.A. / San Diego area and know a company that will give a better shipping deal, maybe around 150 bucks?

I would be very, very grateful for some advice.

P.S. And remember kids, never drink and ebay!!!!!
Monkey business since 2007!

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:31 am

What you should do is tell the seller you will pay him $50 for his troubles, and explain you didn't realize it was going to be $3-400 which is totally insane and BACK OUT!

I would back out how ever I could cause thats just murder... it would even be worth getting negative feedback for.

:twisted:
for sale/trade: EML-101

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:49 am

Nothing wrong with backing out. It didn't happen to say 400000 dollars for shipping due to your distance in the calculated shipping did it? 400 dollars for shipping or a possible negative feedback? I would rather take the negative feedback and keep that cash in the wallet. Well unless you really want it that much. 8)
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:57 am

RobotHeroes wrote:Nothing wrong with backing out.
yeeeahh.... except the fact that doing so would be a violation of a legal contract, and also an a*s thing to do. people who unceremoniously "back out" of auctions is exactly what's wrong with Ebay. people have no sense of moral responsibility anymore.

anyway, Sexor, i'm glad to see you're trying to work things out with the seller, instead of taking the coward's way out. i agree with nadafarms: if you, for some reason do not come to an affordable solution with the seller, you should either:

1. suck it up and buy the thing and pay the quoted shipping price.

2. offer to cover the seller's listing and final value fees, as well as a few bucks for their trouble, and sober up next time before ebaying again! :wink:

good luck to you!

soniczev

Post by soniczev » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:00 am

http://www.dhl.com

:shock:

cheaper than fedex or ups
All my life needed was a sense of someplace to go. I don't believe that one should devote his life to morbid self-attention. I believe that someone should become a person like other people.

:shock:

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:07 am

I wouldn't feel very good about backing out....

I still believe there must be a cheaper shipping price available, I mean you US people often ship synths from Russia or Japan without it costing 400 bucks right? The why so darn expensive from LA to Amsterdam? There must be a low cost, long travel time alternative somewhere. I just have to find out how and where.... :?

Backing out might be an option though if worst comes to worst, but I'd surely pay the guy something for the inconvenience.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:08 am

I drank and ebayed once. I ended up with a Sherman filterbank. I had been interested in buying one for years, but was still not ready to make the actual purchase. Oh, well glad I got it reglardless of the fact that I need to stop charging my credit cards for atleast another two years.

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:15 am

not 100% on this but check ye old US postal service (USPS) too.

Their rates and services have improved.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:45 am

killedaway wrote:
RobotHeroes wrote:Nothing wrong with backing out.
yeeeahh.... except the fact that doing so would be a violation of a legal contract, and also an a*s thing to do. people who unceremoniously "back out" of auctions is exactly what's wrong with Ebay. people have no sense of moral responsibility anymore.
I didn't see it that way. I agree. If I was selling something and someone backed out I would def be bummed. I've never sold anything on ebay and totally forgot about the fee's you have to pay.

That being said then hopefully you can find cheaper shipping or come to an agreement with the seller. That price makes it sounds like a stone statue will be arriving at your door in a big wood crate.

Don't drink and shop. Or don't login to ebay in the middle of the night when you are half asleep either. :)
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:53 am

Sexor wrote: I mean you US people often ship synths from Russia or Japan without it costing 400 bucks right?
Nope, its about that expensive if not more.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:05 am

How much did he want to ship it in the US?

Maybe you could get someone you trust in the US to take possession and then ship it to you.

slinkyjr
Band: an1matron1x

Post by slinkyjr » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:06 am

it cost me 400.00 to send my memorymoog+ to germany. (andn back again) but now i have a LAMM. thanks, Rudi!! :D
Rogue, Minimoog, LAMM(w/blue LEDs), MemoryMoog+, PolyMoog keyboard, PolyMoog synth, Jupiter 8,VP-330, JD-800,TB-303, Polysix, 2600, Odyssey, Quadra, Xpander,Matrix 1000,Prophet 5,Pro-one,Prophet 600,Prophet 10, Nord 2X, Virus KC,Prophet 08

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:07 am

micahjonhughes wrote:How much did he want to ship it in the US?

Maybe you could get someone you trust in the US to take possession and then ship it to you.
That wouldn't make the shipping cost any less. It would actaully cost more that way because you would have to pay shipping within the US and then still pay to ship it overseas after that.
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:08 am

slinkyjr wrote:it cost me 400.00 to send my memorymoog+ to germany. (andn back again) but now i have a LAMM. thanks, Rudi!! :D
400 each way or 400 in total? Makes quite a difference....

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:22 am

Shipping by sea may be a little less expensive, but it WILL rust the metal parts from the sea air, guaranteed. I made that mistake before trying to save a buck.
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.