Ebay + alcohol = bad idea!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

aaa

Post by haricots » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:27 am

It cost me around $100 to send a 707 and a 727 to Belgium (from Canada) so I would imagine $400 is right. You could always ask him to quote you 'ground' shipping (by boat). It may take a couple months to get to you but it would be a lot cheaper.

KLAXON

Re: aaa

Post by KLAXON » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:30 am

haricots wrote:You could always ask him to quote you 'ground' shipping (by boat). It may take a couple months to get to you but it would be a lot cheaper.
..and rustier. :wink:
(is that even a word?)
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

slinkyjr
Band: an1matron1x

Post by slinkyjr » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:34 am

400.00 each way, and then they lost it on the return trip......i had bad anxiety for about three days. (they found it...in france.)
Rogue, Minimoog, LAMM(w/blue LEDs), MemoryMoog+, PolyMoog keyboard, PolyMoog synth, Jupiter 8,VP-330, JD-800,TB-303, Polysix, 2600, Odyssey, Quadra, Xpander,Matrix 1000,Prophet 5,Pro-one,Prophet 600,Prophet 10, Nord 2X, Virus KC,Prophet 08

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:34 am

What? Rust? I really don't believe it'll turn into a pile of rust just by going on a boat. It probably got to the States on a boat from Japan back in '86.....
Monkey business since 2007!

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:38 am

Yeah I didn't believe it when someone told me that either until it arrived! :shock: I have always used airmail ever since. Trust me it will be exposed to ocean air for a long time and like haricots said take a few months to arrive. They did have airplanes in '86 ya know. :wink:

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:47 am

Maaaaan, I'll probably just pay the goddam 400 bucks for shipping. Then add the EU tax when it arrives. It'll be the most expensive AX-60 on the bloody continent. I was just being a silly monkey. It seems I'll be eating nothing but bananas until the end of the month.
Monkey business since 2007!

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:49 am

Haha, don't worry I think we have all made drunken impulse ebay purchases before. (at least I have)

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:00 am

Sexor wrote:Maaaaan, I'll probably just pay the goddam 400 bucks for shipping. Then add the EU tax when it arrives. It'll be the most expensive AX-60 on the bloody continent. I was just being a silly monkey. It seems I'll be eating nothing but bananas until the end of the month.
i agree with all of the above, to summarise:

a) $400 is obscenely expensive shipping

b) there is probably a cheaper option

c) backing out on auctions sucks, but sometimes has to be done

d) if you can't get to a decent shipping price, just ask to back out, and offer to pay the fees-this is probably the best thing you can do.

e) apologize profusely every step of the way, and never mention you were drunk! :wink:
Do you even post on vse bro?

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:05 am

Yeah, if you do not want it you should just explain to the seller that you were not aware how expensive the shipping would be and can't afford it and apologize. Offering a little compensation for his time is up to you, but would be nice. Ebay will refund all of his fees, there is an option for sellers "buyer and seller mutually agreed to not complete the transaction" or something like that. It is good for both parties because it allows him to get all his fees refunded and ebay will not penalize you either.

@Sir Ruff-remember we are talking about a giant 90 pound package that is shipping by airmail half way across the world. $400 seems right on par with what you would expect for such a package. Remember, the charge is not just for weight but size also.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:39 am

400 bucks for shipping is damn crazy, you should probably be really nice and offer him some money and say that you cant pay becuase you did not know that the shipping would cost so much.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:52 am

KLAXON wrote:Yeah, if you do not want it you should just explain to the seller that you were not aware how expensive the shipping would be and can't afford it and apologize. Offering a little compensation for his time is up to you, but would be nice. Ebay will refund all of his fees, there is an option for sellers "buyer and seller mutually agreed to not complete the transaction" or something like that. It is good for both parties because it allows him to get all his fees refunded and ebay will not penalize you either.

@Sir Ruff-remember we are talking about a giant 90 pound package that is shipping by airmail half way across the world. $400 seems right on par with what you would expect for such a package. Remember, the charge is not just for weight but size also.
you may be right... but it still sounds awfully high to me.

anyways, re: fees- i had to back out of an auction recently cos I didn't read the item's description well enough and reached for the BIN trigger too fast. anyways, the seller was none too happy, and was basically using the threat of negative feedback to get me to buy it anyways, claiming that he didn't want to have to wait the month or whatever to get his fees back!

long story short, i offered to pay the fees and he didn't scar me with any neg. feedback. to be fair tho, the auction title was misleading and the price was BIN cheap. but obviously, I should have looked over everything a little better to start with.
Do you even post on vse bro?

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:55 am

USPS is the cheapest option, but this might be too big for them to handle. Plus you don't have any way to track the package. And it can take months.
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:57 am

Sir Ruff wrote:anyways, re: fees- i had to back out of an auction recently cos I didn't read the item's description well enough and reached for the BIN trigger too fast. anyways, the seller was none too happy, and was basically using the threat of negative feedback to get me to buy it anyways, claiming that he didn't want to have to wait the month or whatever to get his fees back!
He was BSing you. I have used that option as a seller when a buyer backed out and they refunded my fees right away. True it is annoying, and consumes more time to relist it but at least they refund your fees.

immigrantboy

Post by immigrantboy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:06 am

I wonder how much it would cost to TRAVEL to the Netherlands and pick it up yourself? Hey, then you'd still pay a, f'n ton, but you'd get a vacation out of it...

Then again, who wants to go to the Netherlands!? *nonsensical zing*
Main Gear: Korg M500, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha PSS-480, sitar, cassette tapes
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:11 am

I could think of a few reasons to go to the Netherlands :wink: