Ensoniq TS-10/12 vs Microwave

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Entropy Farmer

Ensoniq TS-10/12 vs Microwave

Post by Entropy Farmer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:58 am

I really like the TS-10 writeup and demos over on Deep Sythesis, but it looks like there's a whole lot of effort required with proprietary tools and disk formats to actually get that kind of result. I'm wondering if it would be less trouble to just get a Microwave instead, since that seems to be the go-to synth for wavetable.

I'd say to h**l with both and get a FIZMO, but I'd be too afraid of it crapping out.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:46 am

The sounds I heard were too different to compare, really. The TS10 was really high-fidelity, more like a sampler (because it is, kind of). The microwave is obviously much PPG style, with the focus being less on the actual wavetable and more on the sum of the parts (analog filter). With the TS10 you're making cool wavetables and crossfades and wavesequences with crossfades (very nice) and with the Microwave you're scanning through wavetables and analog filtering the sound. How I see it.