bass!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ColdTrinity
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: ROLAND- Jupiter 6/OBERHEIM-Matrix 6/YAMAHA-DX7IIFD/ACCESS-Virus KC/KORG-ESX-1
Band: Voight-Kampff Machine

bass!

Post by ColdTrinity » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:35 am

Hi you all!

I am in a market for a synth mainly for fat bass lines.
I do not want to use sampler and my MS2000 really cannot meet my needs regarding this. Of course, I cannot afford Jupiter8 or some nice Moog unit so that I have dilema what to do. I am thinking SH-101 but I have never touched on. My friend told me it is an amazing synth you can use only for bass (which would be perfect for me, I hope).
"what bass sound?" - well, early mentallo/benestrophe, Nitzer Ebb - Belief, Philadelphia Five, F242 - Official Version & Front By Front, FLA till Caustic Grip, Die Krupps (ebm phase), DM - secret garden and s**t like that ...

any ideas?
.... gold rush, golden years ...

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Re: bass!

Post by Andy_X69 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:50 am

ColdTrinity wrote:Hi you all!

I am in a market for a synth mainly for fat bass lines.
I do not want to use sampler and my MS2000 really cannot meet my needs regarding this. Of course, I cannot afford Jupiter8 or some nice Moog unit so that I have dilema what to do. I am thinking SH-101 but I have never touched on. My friend told me it is an amazing synth you can use only for bass (which would be perfect for me, I hope).
"what bass sound?" - well, early mentallo/benestrophe, Nitzer Ebb - Belief, Philadelphia Five, F242 - Official Version & Front By Front, FLA till Caustic Grip, Die Krupps (ebm phase), DM - secret garden and s**t like that ...

any ideas?
SCI Pro One (or an Evolver, its cheap and uses the same chips and does a whole lot more), SH101, Spectral Audio Neptune 2, MFB Synth 2... Generally anything with an analog filter.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

prince fan 2

Post by prince fan 2 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:29 am

sci pro one...you cant go wrong...unless its a nackered one.

staple food for bass lines and more..

ColdTrinity
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: ROLAND- Jupiter 6/OBERHEIM-Matrix 6/YAMAHA-DX7IIFD/ACCESS-Virus KC/KORG-ESX-1

Post by ColdTrinity » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:31 am

thank you!

sineSurfer
Gear: X50, MS2000, ESX1, EMX1, BassStation, Proteus/1, Electric drumkit +DM5, x0xb0x 393, theremin, mbSid stereo, MB6582, MB808, MBSEQ, Fatman.
Band: Hakken

Post by sineSurfer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:36 am

Some tips:

Get a bass Station, dead easy for great bass sounds and cheaper than the SH101, or to save the money for other stuff:

#1. Try to get someone to lend you an SH101, SH9, SH2,MC202, Mini moog or MS 20 all of them are great sources for bass,

#2. Setup a bass sound you like on that synth and then pass the exact settings to the MS2000.

#3. Tweak the MS2000 settings until you match the sound, the MS2000 certanly can pull it, it's just easier if you have an example to follow. :)

I did this using a Roland SH-2(best known for faaat bass sounds) and managed to make a pretty close sound, one thing you will notice is the MS2000 sounds cleaner, but with all the punch.

And it does the classic MS20 bass sound too!

just don't dismiss it before trying :D
Riding the wave

ColdTrinity
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by ColdTrinity » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:06 am

great ideas

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:12 am

If you want fat basses get a Roland SH-09. Its way better than the SH-101 for bass.

Here is my SH-09 in action:

Here is AutomaticGainsay's SH-09 demo:
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

yburn

Post by yburn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:27 am

Waldorf Pulse. Cheap and will blow your speakers if you're not careful 8) Is easier to get sub bass harmonics on the pulse than the evolver although using the digital oscs on the evo can get you some "punched in the face" hard basses. If you don't like grid editing get an MEK. The Casio CZs can also manage some good hard bases for hardly any cash.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:27 pm

Personally I would avoid vintage synths. You never know when it will have to be serviced and if it does, you may end up paying just as much as you did to buy it.

I recommend MEK, Lil Phatty, or getting started in modular synthesis. Two vco's, two adsr's, one vca, one or two filters(depending on budget, you can get away with just one though) and if you get one filter and it only has one input then you will need a mixer, one multiples, and a midi to cv converter.

Synthesizers.com are very under rated synths, or you could go with Deopfer, Analogue Solutions, MOTM, etc.......

Helix

Re: bass!

Post by Helix » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:42 pm

Andy_X69 wrote: SCI Pro One (or an Evolver, its cheap and uses the same chips and does a whole lot more), SH101, Spectral Audio Neptune 2, MFB Synth 2... Generally anything with an analog filter.
Perhaps not the same chips but they are very much related. I would probably suggest the Pro One however it hasn't got MIDI as standard. So the Evolver might be better, but if you want bang for the buck you should get the Pulse. 3DCO and a really fat VCF for a third of what the Pro One costs.
XTk 30v, Q, Voyager RME, Indigo, Polymorph, Braintech Transistorbass 3

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:27 pm

I'd say you are mistaken that the MS2000 cannot do fat basslines... because it can. However, what you are probably looking for is analog bass. Any analog monosynth will do for bass. The MFB synth II is a good buy. Moog LP will give you more than you can handle.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:55 pm

Tell us your price range. If you can't afford a basic moog than you wont be able to afford a Pro-One or SH-101 either. As moogs go, you can pick up an MG-1, Rogue or a Prodigy for around or under $600 each. Lately SH-101's and Pro-ones have been higher than that. You could pick up a Bass Station rack for under $200 (probably the cheapest analog mono out there and a great deal in my mind. The keyboard version is more like $300-$400). A pulse will set you back a bit over $300 I believe...

I think the sound difference between a DSI Evolver and a Pro-One is debatable and there are other threads on that subject. I haven't had the opportunity to play with either but of all the demos I've listened to they don't sound overly similar. Also they use the same type of chip, CEM, not the same exact chip - unless the person making that statement can validate it. But thats a moot point, I'm sure the evolver can do fine basses.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

ColdTrinity
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by ColdTrinity » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:18 pm

thank you guys, really.
This helps me alot since I am (obviously) new with real machines. I'd say my price range is up to $400 for now. A few posts really opened my eyes an gave me a handfull options and ideas. Novation bass station for instance and so on... So practically, a rack version, for instance, will do the same thing like the keyboard version of the synth if you use and external midi keyboard to control it?

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:40 pm

There is a lot of digital bass in the music you mention! I think you would be happier with a DX 100 or 27 or 21. You can get the later two for $100. There is also the rack TX81z.

To many people are quick to jump on the analog bass bandwagon. DX bass is deep, hard and cutting. Analog bass is big but does not cut the mix in the same way which is really important in industrial where there may be a lot of lines going.

Front 242 is definitely using a DX synth of some sort on Front by Front.

hearttimes
No Longer Registered

Post by hearttimes » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:22 pm

love my bassStation