Polyphonic Little Phatty

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cfernn

Polyphonic Little Phatty

Post by cfernn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:07 am

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:09 am

if you own 16 little phatty's.....yes...but if you only own 1, its still monophonic
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:12 am

Nope, there is no polyphonic lil phatty.

Basically what it allows for is simply MULTIPLE LPs or Voyagers to be chained together and then act in a polyphonic fashion (one synth per voice). As one can imagine, this can get REAL expensive, REAL fast, and can potentially require a good amount of space.

I think it's a cool feature, don't get me wrong, but really, unless someone feels like stocking up on LPs or Voyagers, it's pretty much a useless feature.

cfernn

Re: Polyphonic Little Phatty

Post by cfernn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:13 am

cfernn wrote:http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=5160

this changes everything
I am an idiot.

cfernn

Post by cfernn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:20 am

23 wrote:I think it's a cool feature, don't get me wrong, but really, unless someone feels like stocking up on LPs or Voyagers, it's pretty much a useless feature.
No no it is one of the worst features ever, I'll be the first to admit it

Anyways...so how about that Prophet 8 eh? Pretty...cool

Helix

Post by Helix » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:26 am

The thing that could make it very useful would be if they released a 1U rackmounted LP with four voices and perhaps only a couple of buttons on the front.
XTk 30v, Q, Voyager RME, Indigo, Polymorph, Braintech Transistorbass 3

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:45 am

I suppose in a way to, it's a cool marketing move by Moog to capture people that already own an LP and were on the edge of considering a Voyager or Second LP.....nice lil cool aspect of just, "Well, see, not only do you get the other Moog you were already considering, but you sorta get a whole no polysynth out of it as well".

I dunno, if I already owned an LP, it'd be enough for me to at least consider a rack mount Voyager (don't know that I'd get one, but I'd surely consider it).
If I had 3 LPs, Voyagers, or combination there of, the new feature would DEFINITELY be enough to get me to purchase a fourth.

yburn

Post by yburn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:21 am

Agree with Helix it would be useful if they release something along the lines of the Evolver rack. I wouldn't have thought many people would buy 2 or 3 of the same monosynth.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:23 am

It is a very misleading headline. I had to read it twice before I realised you just linked together several Phatties (or voyagers) to get the polyphony. I was wringing my brain as to how a software update could give more voices to a purely analog monosynth, you see :P

It'll be kind of like the oberheim x-voices, you have to set the vcos and filter separately on each module/synth to get anywhere close to a unison sound..and then there's still pitch instability to deal with, where pitch wanders slightly as you play along the keyboard, causing more severe beating between each set of oscillators. When you play the note you tuned all the VCOs to you get unison, play an octave higher and you have all kinds of fast beating to ruin the sound.
Multiply that by 5 or 10, ick.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:54 pm

I've tried it with my Phatty and Voyager. It's an interesting effect.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:20 pm

I like that on this forum, some one can say, I tried it with my phatty, and no one thinks twice...

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:22 pm

Bitexion wrote:It'll be kind of like the oberheim x-voices, you have to set the vcos and filter separately on each module/synth to get anywhere close to a unison sound..
I'm pretty sure the MIDI takes care of that.

But hey, it's a feasible idea if you're daft punk!

kk994

Post by kk994 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:06 pm

A few synths can do that. The BassStation Rack can do that... but it's a lot cheaper.... the evolvers can do it as well.

nothing too special... especially seeing as there is no rack version...

Still if you had 4 Phattys you could have a laugh for half hour.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:54 pm

Here's how it worked for me. When I used the Phatty as a master and the Voyager as the second unit, both instruments will play the first note. If you hold down the first note, the second synth (Voyager) will play the second, third, etc. notes while the Phatty is still playing the first note. So you could play a drone note on the phatty and play a melody coming out the Voyager. Any modulations done on the master (Phatty) will also affect the slave (Voyager.) Of course you can play the slave separately and change it's settings without affecting the Phatty. I didn't notice any unison effect because each instrument had a different patch.

Synthetic Solace

Post by Synthetic Solace » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:03 pm

well if they want to give me 16 lp's for the price of one that would be relevant!
Synths I have - Korg Ms-2000r/Korg Emx-1 / Yamaha Cs2x / Novation X-Station/Casio Sk-1(circuit bent)/ Casio Ht-3000/Yamaha Tx81z/Elecphone
SYNTHS I'VE HAD - Roland Juno 60,Akai Ax-60,Roland Sh-32,Korg Poly 800,Yamaha Rm1x,Alesis Nano Piano,Roland D-110