Access virus, or wait for the stromberg?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Feelsee

Access virus, or wait for the stromberg?

Post by Feelsee » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:52 pm

Any opinions about which of these two synths to go for?
Kawai K5000s, FS1R, SY77, A5000, Powermac G5 2GHZ DP, Logic 7.2

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:29 pm

The one that isn't still in development :D.

The Virus has wavetables now, too (and more - new oscillator types).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

CTB

Post by CTB » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:07 pm

Yoozer wrote:The one that isn't still in development :D.
:D :D :D

We'll see a Stromberg S.O.O.N. I'm sure.
CTB

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:18 pm

Depends on what your definition of soon is I guess. :wink: Remember, at namm they had absolutely nothing to show yet, it was just an idea, so they just made a plastic mock-up to show what it might look like. I would guess it will be at the very least a year before it hits the market. These thing take time. Remeber the FR XS? They announced that two years ago and we still have not seen anything and that is not nearly as complicated as the Stromberg.

This is why I like the fact that Dave Smith kept the P-08 completely under wraps until it was about to ship. I would like to see more manufacturers do this instead of announcing products years before they will ever see the light of day.
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:24 pm

KLAXON wrote:Remeber the FR XS? They announced that two years ago and we still have not seen anything.
What about this?
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... D15B00320A
virb.com/ookpikk

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:25 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:
KLAXON wrote:Remeber the FR XS? They announced that two years ago and we still have not seen anything.
What about this?
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... D15B00320A
Yeah, that was winter namm '07. They also had one at winter namm '06 a full year earlier. Unless I am missing something, this thing is still not available for sale, that was merely a prototype, no? When I said "seen anything" I meant for sale on the market. :wink:
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

Post by johans121 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:32 pm

I agree with Klaxon completely. I was pondering the idea of getting either a P8 or a Stromberg personally. Not saying that they are substitutes for each other (more like complements) however there is no telling when the Stromberg will even see the light of day.

Nobody, to the best of my knowledge, has even heard of anything about it after Musikmesse (sp?).

I'm going with the P8 (after I see the feature list and hear more samples, and if like what I've "seen")

You can always sell the TI and get the Stromberg when the time comes (if it does). A) The TI's price will probably not drop anytime soon B) Resale value is pretty high C) They probably won't have a replacement for the TI for at least another year.

-Jim
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

CTB

Post by CTB » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:33 pm

KLAXON wrote:Depends on what your definition of soon is I guess.
Oh, it isn't my definition. Are you a Waldorf owner? If you had an early OS Q, you'd recognize the S.O.O.N. thing...
:wink:
CTB

oceanbourne

Post by oceanbourne » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:33 am

I'm excited about the Stromberg . . . I've always wanted a Waldorf product and it looks like the most promising yet . . . but they just need to get it off the ground.
Oceanbourne

http://www.myspace.com/faeroerne

Bösendorfer 170, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland Juno-G, Nord Lead 2X, Roland SH-201, microKorg, Ensoniq EPS-16+, Novation X-Station, CME-UF7 (for softsynths & Kontakt).

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:19 am

I'm definitely waiting for the Stromberg.

I mean, I'm still buying stuff and playing with it to learn more about different products. But in the end, that's just killing time until I can be one of the first to own a Strom with analog filters.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:15 am

What the h**l is the Stromberg and why is it being compared to the Virus?

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:59 pm

Keep up with the news, dude ;)

first hit for "Waldorf Stromberg" on Google:

"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:14 am

Yoozer wrote:The one that isn't still in development :D.

The Virus has wavetables now, too (and more - new oscillator types).
The Virus isn't like a Waldorf synth. It sounds good, but Waldorf synths make it a lot easier to get crazy sounds. So much of the question comes down to whether YOU like the sound ... whether YOU like the interface, etc. I, for instance, have finally learned my lesson. The Virus is a flashy synth designed for the masses, and tremendously overrated. IMO. The Waldorf stuff has a much more intuitive interface, distinctive sound quality, and mod routings which allow you to get some very bizarre results if that's what you're looking for.

The real question I think, again, is the subjective factor - have you ever played a Waldorf synth, for instance, the price factor - the Stromberg will be EXPENSIVE, and the uncertainty factor - when will it come out (if ever).

I don't find the decision hard at all for myself. I have 0 interest in a virus, and I'll be very interested in the Stromberg.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:29 am

well, Stromberg is still very much vapourware.

im hoping that doesnt utlimately happen, but who knows.. otoh im looking forward to Solaris a lot. if it delivers even part of what it promises.. wow.

as for TI Vs. Stromberg. presuming you want wavetable snythese and decent analog sounds, i'd suggest another route:

u buy a used microwave, which leaves all wavetabling synths of today in dust, with real CEM filters and VCA, and nice gritty PPG sound, and add a real analog polyphonic, like upcoming P'08 or used Andromeda, for analog sounds.

imo that's a helluva better sounding option in each repsective dept.

downside to micorwave is sml UI, so u need some kinda sysex transmitting knobby controller, or even a kbd controller like Novation Remote.. they're a perfect match,. so u can edit and realtime tweal the wavetable engine.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:47 am

which virus? since the virus b is going cheap now, I'd get the b desktop while waiting for the stromberg :)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums