Yamaha CS and midi

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:20 am

Awesome I didn't realize the bass station had the capability. I'll consider going with the Kenton in the future.

What is RFM madtheory?
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Ski

Post by Ski » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:44 am

I have a CS-30L that literally looks (and works) brand new. After it warms up for several minutes, the tuning is unbelievably rock solid for an all analog synth.

I never realized that the Kenton units provided an extra LFO(s). Thanks for the info; will have to look into that!

cbjlietuva
Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Post by cbjlietuva » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:58 am

Another vote for Kenton.

I love my Pro2000 for my sequencing purposes, so the proSolo should be great. Personally i'm not a fan of the CS15's circuit design which overrides the the portamento when you plug into the CV jacks for each VCO, mainly because I like the CS's portamento more than the Kenton's

Otto, I think RFM stands for Rack Format Module... i think :? Doepfer makes their CV->MIDI converter in a rack format and in their eurorack format as well. as for the kenton, at least with the Pro2000, you can get rack ears for it, but i'm not tooo sure about the PROsolo just because the display and everything is on the top of the unit.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc

wvcttr
Gear: Dem blinkin' lights sure look pur-dee.

Post by wvcttr » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:38 am

Waldorf Pulse Plus also lets you control a Yamaha CS synth. At least, I used to run my CS-5 with my Pulse+... but, then, I sold my CS-5... I miss my CS-5

(notice how I still call it _my_ CS-5... * sigh * )
+-wvCttr]

watari banzai

Post by watari banzai » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:43 am

theres also the midijack comes in both flavors but it will necessitate hacking into your synth
Cubase SX3, Yamaha RM1X, Kawai Q80 EX, Yamaha A3000 v.2, Yamaha CS-15, Sequential Circuits 6-Trak, Roland SH101, Roland SH2, Casio CZ5000, Yamaha RY20, Deltalab Effectron I, Zoom 1201, Oxygen 8

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:42 am

Ski wrote:I have a CS-30L that literally looks (and works) brand new. After it warms up for several minutes, the tuning is unbelievably rock solid for an all analog synth.
Oooooh, a CS-30L! I played one of those about a year ago. Talk about knobs! I'd love to find one.

I do have a CS-10 though and quite like it. I was also thinking about a midi / cv box or possibly the conversion kit from Synhouse, the Midijack II. Anyone try it? http://www.synhouse.com/midijackii.html

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:53 am

RFM- Read the "damn" manual :)
cbjlietuva wrote:I like the CS's portamento more than the Kenton's
That's why the mark 2 has more portamento options- constant time, constant rate etc. I like the mark 1 constant time more than the CS's. maybe you should upgrade to mark 2?

Ya, the LFO is excellent- lots of shapes, MIDI sync with all possible rhythmic divisions. The aux CV is a great feature- for about a tenner you can put a filter CV on the CS. The 5 and 10 have nice keyboards but little or no genuinely playable mod controls like the CS-60/ 70/ 80.

With a nice keyboard and the Kenton, they become far more playable instruments.

cbjlietuva
Gear: Roland Juno 6 · Rhodes 73 Suitcase · Fender '63 jBass · Fender Strat+ · Casio SK1

Post by cbjlietuva » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:28 pm

madtheory wrote:RFM- Read the "damn" manual :)
cbjlietuva wrote:I like the CS's portamento more than the Kenton's
That's why the mark 2 has more portamento options- constant time, constant rate etc. I like the mark 1 constant time more than the CS's. maybe you should upgrade to mark 2?
i might... do they still offer the firmware upgrade? or do I just need to get a new Mk II?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...Star Wars on Laserdisc

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:24 pm

madtheory wrote:RFM- Read the "damn" manual :)
I did after it was pointed out. :lol: I knew it had CV but having never used CV and finding out the CS line had a strange, lesser used systems (hz/volt) I a*s-umed I wasn't covered with the Bass Station. I don't think I can say it enough but a bass station is a real value in so many ways and it really doesn't sound bad either.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Ya, the bass station is a cool synth.
cbjlietuva wrote:i might... do they still offer the firmware upgrade? or do I just need to get a new Mk II?
Unfortunately, you need to buy a Mk 2.