Will you sell your Andromeda for the DSI prophet 08?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Will you sell your Andromeda for the DSI prophet 08?

Post by mao » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:48 am

I have friends selling their A6 to buy the P08 only judging from the P08 demo...

Well I'll keep my A6. The P08 demo I listen to revealed a great synth... but nothing really I can't do with the A6. So why ppl are going crazy ? Imho the A6 has tons of more features and a wider sonic palette... so I can't really understand. I can only accept the fact that it's more "straightforward" with no menu diving... but... you can still use the A6 without diving too much if you want.

So... what is in your opinion a good point on moving from an A6 to a P08 (without falling in generic statements like "because it's a prophet" )

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:54 am

A little bit premature considering we haven't actually seen it yet.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:08 am

DCOs not VCOs = deal breaker.

it seems more like a JX-3P '08. i'm sure it'll be nice but i think the A6 will hold its value more in the long run. but my, that P'08 would look nice next to my PEK and Prophet VS...

now a P5 for an A6, that's an interesting trade. or Jupiter-6 for a P'08.
Last edited by xpander on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

yburn

Post by yburn » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 am

agreed, it seems premature for a synth very few have played. One big thing to consider is that it looks like it might be quite portable, I can't see it being much heavier than a PEK. The A6 is really a studio only tool due to it's size and weight. i certainly wouldn't want to lug one around. I for one have to move around and parts of my studio come with me. A prophet and MEK on my ultimate stand would be easy to transport.
Q, Pulse, MW1, CS60, MEK,

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:23 am

I agree, the P08 does not sound better than the A6. And has far less features.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

adonais

Post by adonais » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:34 am

I'm still waiting for my Andromeda to be delivered; when I saw the news about the new DSI Prophet '08 I had to sit down for a bit and consider if I should cancel that and switch. So far I haven't really come up with many good reasons to do that, except to save a few bucks, and maybe that the P'08 looks a bit more aesthetically pleasing :) So for my part, I'll patiently wait for the Andromeda instead, I think..

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:21 pm

Anyone jumping right off an grabbing an 08 when they barely know anything about it is a fool.
From the look of the 08, I doubt it was even intended to compete with something like an A6....if it's versatility and depth (of programming) someone wants, I have a STRONG suspiscion that the A6 ends up winning in spades.

jko

Post by jko » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:29 pm

From the clips its strengths will be in different areas from the A6, so there's no reason they can't complement each other. It also looks to be a great live players' and performers' polysynth keyboard ; the first in decades.

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:11 pm

FAQ no. :idea:
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

slinkyjr
Band: an1matron1x

Post by slinkyjr » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:39 pm

i will let you know once i get it. :D
Rogue, Minimoog, LAMM(w/blue LEDs), MemoryMoog+, PolyMoog keyboard, PolyMoog synth, Jupiter 8,VP-330, JD-800,TB-303, Polysix, 2600, Odyssey, Quadra, Xpander,Matrix 1000,Prophet 5,Pro-one,Prophet 600,Prophet 10, Nord 2X, Virus KC,Prophet 08

amni

Post by amni » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:53 pm

Just owning the Andromeda A6 for 2 weeks now, I must say it is very deep, the only let down I feel is the bottom end, bass department, something just doesnt sound right, its like we are listening to mp3s there is something missing, the extreme bottom is there but something is not there.
Some days I love the synth others I hate it, never had this with a synth before

just listening to the Pro 08 demos it sounds more alive....I cant wait to check it out.

marzzz

Post by marzzz » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:59 pm

My Andromeda is not going anywhere, but I will consider selling my PEK for a P08, after I get a chance to check it out.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:03 pm

amni wrote:Just owning the Andromeda A6 for 2 weeks now, I must say it is very deep, the only let down I feel is the bottom end, bass department, something just doesnt sound right, its like we are listening to mp3s there is something missing, the extreme bottom is there but something is not there.
Some days I love the synth others I hate it, never had this with a synth before
You MUST read this:
http://www.wohmart.com/a6/tandt/A6TipsAndTricks.html

Ofcause I wouldn't say no to a P08.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

felis

Post by felis » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:04 pm

They're almost too different to even try and compare.

The P'08 looks like a real nice board, and while I'd like to have one in the future, there's no way I'd ever consider giving up my A6 to get one.

pangmaster
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Voyager, PEK, A6, FIZ, Six-Trak, Juno, CZ, and other stuff

Post by pangmaster » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:17 pm

marzzz wrote:My Andromeda is not going anywhere, but I will consider selling my PEK for a P08, after I get a chance to check it out.
Yeah, these are my thoughts exactly. I will keep the A6 forever, but the PEK I have considered parting with at various times. I do really like it, but I always thought that being limited to 4 voices was one of its greatest weaknesses, and poly-chaining is not exactly an inexpensive option. That and the endless encoders. I suppose we'll see very soon if the P08 uses them, too. I prefer being able to feel a knob's value without having to always look at the display.
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog