Will you sell your Andromeda for the DSI prophet 08?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:39 pm

No way, I'm way too happy with my Andy to consider selling it for another big synth. I am comfortable with the A6 interface and can whizz around the menus, I don't see any reason to leave all that and learn a brand new deep interface again.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:16 pm

I'm going to sell my Omega 8, m5, and s1 m2 to get one of these babies. Then I'm going to mod it to have multimode.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:51 pm

I do not own an Andromeda, but if I did, I wouldn't sell it for a P '08. I'd much rather get them both.
droolmaster0 wrote:I'm going to sell my Omega 8, m5, and s1 m2 to get one of these babies. Then I'm going to mod it to have multimode.
:lol: Omega's multi not working for you? How are you liking the Omega so far? Compared to the Sunsyn?

- CM

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:57 pm

I don't have an A6, but i fail to see why (if i indeed had one) i would unload it for a P8. I thought the P8 was for the guy who wanted a A6 or a Sunsyn but could afford neither. Now if you already had it, why downgrade to
the P8 unless money was tight?
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

F5D

Post by F5D » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:23 pm

No way. I will never sell my Andro! :shock:

The P08 will just be a very good addition. It won't replace anything, at least in my case. It will be much more fun to look at the A6 and P08 sitting on the same keyboard stand than only P08 alone. :wink:
F5D @ SoundCloud, futuresounddesign.com - sounds for your synthesizers

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:26 pm

Carey M wrote:I do not own an Andromeda, but if I did, I wouldn't sell it for a P '08. I'd much rather get them both.
droolmaster0 wrote:I'm going to sell my Omega 8, m5, and s1 m2 to get one of these babies. Then I'm going to mod it to have multimode.
:lol: Omega's multi not working for you? How are you liking the Omega so far? Compared to the Sunsyn?

- CM
Well, it's not so much a direct comparison thing - in some ways, if I only had one analog synth, I'd choose the Sunsyn. But I don't have anything that has that classic sound like the Omega, the multimode is functional (need to update the OS), and it sounds great. The sunsyn does weird a lot better, and the mod routings are more complex, though not as numerous. There is more audio rate modulation, in addition, and it's easier to get more powerful percussive sounds. But the Omega sounds very 'alive'. In any case - I already have weird, and lots of audio rate modulation in my modular/semi-modular setup. I found myself turning to it more than the Sunsyn for certain types of sounds. Since I wouldn't be able to afford to have both in the foreseeable future, it seemed like a good trade to me, and I'm happy with it.

Vertical

Post by Vertical » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:24 pm

Just curious..Is this a common mod? How will you do this?

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:08 pm

drool, please stop posting in this thread. The responses you're getting are very very depressing.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:16 pm

Oh, please try and reframe from criticizing DCO's just because they're stable. If I had to worry about tuning my synths every seven days, I'd stick withmy current rig.

Don't the Evolver models have DCO's anyway?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:50 pm

sizzlemeister wrote:drool, please stop posting in this thread. The responses you're getting are very very depressing.
I agree. What's say we just kill ourselves?

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:51 pm

The only people that are going to sell their A6 are the people that shouldn't have had one in the first place... It was just the only game in town before (for an analog with a full keyboard ).

I can see the appeal of the P '08 if you are in a band and need to work quickly.

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:47 pm

droolmaster0 wrote: I agree. What's say we just kill ourselves?
Okay, you go first.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:52 pm

sizzlemeister wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote: I agree. What's say we just kill ourselves?
Okay, you go first.
done.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

about Andromeda bass, and tuning issues..

Post by clusterchord » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:25 am

amni wrote:Just owning the Andromeda A6 for 2 weeks now, I must say it is very deep, the only let down I feel is the bottom end, bass department, something just doesnt sound right, its like we are listening to mp3s there is something missing
if u haven't already, turn off the TEMP TUNE and BKG TUNE functions, it changes considerably how organic and alive the whole instrument sounds, especially noticeable in pads n bass. sure, you will have to wait 10 minutes for warm-up, and hit auto tune a few times more often than usual, but the sound result is sooo worth it.

on some sounds, with both functions ON, A6 sometimes borders being very stale and "small". that being said, no DCO can compete with it in bass. its really big down there. tho bass presets are kinda hit n miss. to elaborate further, when i gig with A6, or i need a sound using self-oscillating 24dB filter, where accurate tracking is of paramount importance, i put the TEMP TUNE back on. its a nice compromise.

back on topic, i'd never sell A6 for P'08 of course, but that doesn't exclude the posibility i buy P'08, or one of its offspring models (if any appear), on its own merit.

anyone who used analog, knows there's far more than one "analog" character out there, and various kinds can complement each other very nicely... A6 and P'08 have very different character. i'd say A6 goes after old discrete oberheims, and to an extent moogs, whereas P08 loosely descends from CEM generation of synths. i'm talking genes, not exact copies of course.

if they all sounded the same it would be such a dull and grey world.. :D

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:44 am

I'm quite interested in the P8, but I'd NEVER sell an A6 to finance one.

In fact, if anybody DOES want to sell their Andy to finance a P8, please PM me immediately. :P