Will you sell your Andromeda for the DSI prophet 08?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
Box
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 1:07 pm
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:21 am

I have to say if I owned an Andromeda I don't think I'd go and trade it. Heck, if I had the money the Andromeda is what I'd buy. Idk, Andomeda looks more versatile. Plus, I've come to love my Ion, so I'm sure I'd feel no difffernt towards the Andromeda; Alesis has earned my respect, and my business for that matter. In all reality I wouldn't mind getting either one for free, beggars can't be choosers eh? :P
Image
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

User avatar
Pighood
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:26 am
Location: yerbutt

Post by Pighood » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:37 am

There appears to be no FM on the P08. One of several dealbreakers. The Andy has so many FM options, it's terrifying.
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

User avatar
sizzlemeister
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:44 pm

Post by sizzlemeister » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:08 am

Pighood wrote:There appears to be no FM on the P08. One of several dealbreakers. The Andy has so many FM options, it's terrifying.
Yeah, but if you move the A6 from its normal resting spot you put it in great peril. If you sweat on it at a gig the sweat leaves holes in the case. If the air is humid, the A6 starts to evaporate.

User avatar
clusterchord
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 742
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:35 pm
Real name: Tomislav
Band: Nimbus Dei
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Post by clusterchord » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:17 am

well, now that u mention it, gotta say i gigged with A6 with no problems at all. i hit auto tune once during sound check, and once more just before the concert (and on all other analogs too) as crowd raised the temp substantially.
Image

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

felis
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:44 pm

Post by felis » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:54 am

Pighood wrote:There appears to be no FM on the P08. One of several dealbreakers. The Andy has so many FM options, it's terrifying.

There's hardly any comparison at all of the mod options between the two.
The A6 is far more flexible than the P'08.

I don't think most people will be buying the '08 for the mod options though.

User avatar
Pighood
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:26 am
Location: yerbutt

Post by Pighood » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:22 am

sizzlemeister wrote: Yeah, but if you move the A6 from its normal resting spot you put it in great peril. If you sweat on it at a gig the sweat leaves holes in the case. If the air is humid, the A6 starts to evaporate.
It's called "cachet." :shock:
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

User avatar
sizzlemeister
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:44 pm

Post by sizzlemeister » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:10 am

clusterchord wrote:well, now that u mention it, gotta say i gigged with A6 with no problems at all. i hit auto tune once during sound check, and once more just before the concert (and on all other analogs too) as crowd raised the temp substantially.
What shape is your A6 in now?

User avatar
Pighood
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:26 am
Location: yerbutt

Post by Pighood » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:20 am

Knobby, prolly. :shock:
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

User avatar
clusterchord
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 742
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:35 pm
Real name: Tomislav
Band: Nimbus Dei
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Post by clusterchord » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:34 am

sizzlemeister wrote:What shape is your A6 in now?
the same as before the gig. 32 VCOs, 32 VCFs and 72 knobs. 8) 8)
Image

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

User avatar
sizzlemeister
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:44 pm

Post by sizzlemeister » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:38 am

clusterchord wrote: the same as before the gig. 32 VCOs, 32 VCFs and 72 knobs. 8) 8)
You were saying before that it is in need of some repairs.

User avatar
Pighood
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:26 am
Location: yerbutt

Post by Pighood » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:42 am

Just some radical fondling, as per usual.
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

User avatar
clusterchord
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 742
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:35 pm
Real name: Tomislav
Band: Nimbus Dei
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Post by clusterchord » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:45 am

sizzlemeister wrote:
clusterchord wrote: the same as before the gig. 32 VCOs, 32 VCFs and 72 knobs. 8) 8)
You were saying before that it is in need of some repairs.
well after touch never worked on mine. since i bought it. i tried once to fix it, but i need schematics to search more - somewhere on the PCB contact is broken, the aftertouch strip itself is giving proper voltage.

and there was a key that stopped working, but that came from dust/hair in the stuidio. i actually fixed that before going to play live. fatar keybed is very easy to clean contacts, reminds me of dco roland generation a bit.


so, none of it has anything to do with gigging. in that context it's a reliable machine, sorry. :wink:
Image

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

User avatar
sizzlemeister
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:44 pm

Post by sizzlemeister » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:50 am

clusterchord wrote:
well after touch never worked on mine. since i bought it. i tried once to fix it, but i need schematics to search more - somewhere on the PCB contact is broken, the aftertouch strip itself is giving proper voltage.

and there was a key that stopped working, but that came from dust/hair in the stuidio. i actually fixed that before going to play. fatar keybed is very easy to clean contacts, reminds me of dco roland generation a bit.


so, none of it has anything to do with gigging. in that context it's a reliable machine, sorry. :wink:
Actually, I AM glad to hear this. I certainly wasn't trying to seem like I was rubbing something in - hope it didn't come off that way. You're well aware of my fear-of-component-failure when it comes to the A6. You've read some of the horror stories - and we all know Alesis simply aren't what they used to be a few years ago.

User avatar
clusterchord
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 742
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:35 pm
Real name: Tomislav
Band: Nimbus Dei
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Post by clusterchord » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:58 am

sizzlemeister wrote:Actually, I AM glad to hear this. I certainly wasn't trying to seem like I was rubbing something in - hope it didn't come off that way. You're well aware of my fear-of-component-failure when it comes to the A6. You've read some of the horror stories - and we all know Alesis simply aren't what they used to be a few years ago.
well as it has been said many times before.. they dont have component failure as in, you buy it, it works great.. and then one day it dies, and u r fkd. it was more like, they moved to a shitty factory in Taiwan (or seomwhere liek that) , a non existant quality control, and the insturment batch that came in that period was non working form the get go. so if u check beofrehand, u r in good shape.

but most Andromedas, and it is a synth that beat almost all records in lenght of regular production time etc, work pretty well. being on the A6 list for almost 5yrs, i very rarely heard of ppl having to replace a part, cept maybe one or two occasions they ordered a dual VCO chip, or borke a mod wheel. until the dreaded 2006 batch from east.. but these guys only got replacement units, no fixing. as they were total c**p. untunable.

i wish i knew exactly the serial numbers of the fkdup ones, cause if this live act thing i have going becames more intense, i intended to buy another one, to stay in the studio. if the first one gets run over by a truck or something.. :shock: :lol:
Image

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

felis
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:44 pm

Post by felis » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:20 am

clusterchord wrote:
....well after touch never worked on mine. since i bought it. ....


Ow - that hurts just hearing about it. Aftertouch and the ribbon are a match made in heaven.

Post Reply