Will you sell your Andromeda for the DSI prophet 08?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gd

Post by gd » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:15 am

Not sure why anyone would consider selling their A6 for a synth they have not even demo'd. I am looking fwd to a long demo on the P08 and that will be what I base my purchase decision on.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:24 am

SecretAsianMan wrote: In fact, if anybody DOES want to sell their Andy to finance a P8, please PM me immediately. :P
Quite the putton for glunishment, aren't we? :shock:
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:33 am

Pighood wrote:
SecretAsianMan wrote: In fact, if anybody DOES want to sell their Andy to finance a P8, please PM me immediately. :P
Quite the putton for glunishment, aren't we? :shock:
Time does strange things to a person. I'm ready to believe again.

That, and I've heard recent units are OK.

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:34 am

Mine was never anything but OK. :?
Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:16 am

droolmaster0 wrote:
sizzlemeister wrote:
droolmaster0 wrote: I agree. What's say we just kill ourselves?
Okay, you go first.
done.
Thank you for your Omega impressions droolmasterO. Greatly appreciated. Btw, now that you're dead, can I have your Omega? And M5?

- CM

adonais

Post by adonais » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:58 pm

SecretAsianMan wrote: That, and I've heard recent units are OK.
Yo - maybe wrong thread to ask, but....since it's A6 related: I asked the guys on the mainland where I ordered mine (will still be a couple of weeks until it ships) to unpack it and check it out before shipping it to me. Are there some particulars I should tell them to look into? I just told them to make sure that it boots up and that all oscillators are in tune after warm up and autotune. If there are more things to be worried about, I wont mind sending them a longer list of things to check (although they might!) :)

Buddha System

Post by Buddha System » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:32 pm

I think it's pretty clear that ppl who are considering swapping out their A6 for P08 are looking for a particular kind of sound (prophetesque) and that's absoultely fine. The demos sound convincing. If you can live w/o that particular character, you'll be fine with A6. I played it a few times in the store, and it's a great board, just a different character.
ARP:Avatar;ChromaPolaris;Sequential:Prophet600;ProOne;Oberheim:M1000;Cheetah:MS6;Vermona:MARS;Casio:CZ101:VZ8m;Kawai:K5000S;K4r;XD-5;E-MU:XL-1;Yamaha:AN1x;FS1R;A3000;TG33;RX-5;Quasimidi:Polymorph;Sirius;Kurzweil:K2000R;Korg:WS SR, M3R, ER-1;Waldorf:MW XT

bigfoot-studios
No Longer Registered

Post by bigfoot-studios » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:03 pm

Trading an A6 for a P-08 would be like trading in a JP-8 for a Juno-106.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:07 pm

bigfoot-studios wrote:Trading an A6 for a P-08 would be like trading in a JP-8 for a Juno-106.
If you say so. Aren't either the JP8 and Juno 106 or the A6 and the (pending) '08 supposed to complament each other? If you have the bucks, why not save up and get one of each?

I've never owned an A6, but I could see down the road owning either (or both) he A6 or the '08.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:42 pm

bigfoot-studios wrote:Trading an A6 for a P-08 would be like trading in a JP-8 for a Juno-106.
i see the dco/vco angle but still have to disagree to an extent, because if Juno106/60 can arguably be called a "poor man's" Jup8, sharing some resources and hardware, P'08 and A6 are just too much apart character and built wise, to be compared in such manner.

to name one thing i already feel P'08 does better, even from demos - it has extended bandwith in HF, and somewhat more resolution and clarity in fast modulations when they happen up there, compared to A6.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:44 pm

clusterchord wrote:
to name one thing i already feel P'08 does better, even only from demos - it has extended bandwith in HF, and more resolution or "juice" in fast modulations when they happen up there, compared to A6.
He got the CEM spit and splat back, man. That's amazing.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:50 pm

???? I hate bad analogies... it is truely a skill..

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:57 pm

sizzlemeister wrote:He got the CEM spit and splat back, man. That's amazing.
yeah, i feel its clarity in HF definetely surpasses one of Rev3 too, which is a good thing, or not. depending what sound texture one's after.

but i feel this clarity n xtended bandwith is something many new analogs have (like omega, M5 and sunsyn too), and thats primarily why im interested in this board, as no analogs that i have feature that, cept perhaps jup8, but in a rolandese fashion.

as for CEM "spit", and heavy-weight punch, my OB-Xa ain't goin nowhere, brother.. 8)

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

cl516

Post by cl516 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:13 am

No way. about 4 years into A6 now. still lovin' it. FWIW this is coming from a guy who really loves his A6, and also really doesn't like the DSI stuff. Go figure.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:18 am

Well, is the P08 going to have any multi-effects generators like the A6? That'll not only determine some of the production cost, but it'll also make it tougher to compare the two models.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon