Will you sell your Andromeda for the DSI prophet 08?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:26 am

That 2006 batch was a disaster, the A6 mailinglist flooded my inbox with complaints about oscillators that wouldn't go in tune no matter what people did. But I think most of those faulty units came during that batch. I bought mine in 2004, and had no problems with it so far. It tunes nicely, and after a good warmup I can even leave all the autotunings off without drifting too much pitch-wise.

With the temperature stabilization switched off, the synth gets very sensitive to temperature changes and pitch starts drifting across the keyboard. But that is due to its analog nature, nothing else. Works nicely in that mode with stable room temps, and a slight oscillator drift makes the sound fatter, as no two notes have exactly the same pitch relationship.

WDW

Re: Will you sell your Andromeda for the DSI prophet 08?

Post by WDW » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:26 am

mao wrote:Will you sell your Andromeda for the DSI prophet 08?
No.

Will I buy a P08 and add it to my studio, where my A6 resides?

Possibly. I'll have to play the P08 first to see if it adds anything that I do not already have.

WD

MissionBrown

Post by MissionBrown » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:20 am

I have an Andy on order but I gotta say I like the sound of the P8 demo's better(I know they're crappy mp3's) just that nice fizz to it.

Dang.... Could I live without that flexibility?
I already had a Prophet 600 and sold that to finance the Andy.
Indecision kills!

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:36 am

A good friend has an A6, messed with it quite a bit but its still never grabbed me. If I had one though. I probably wouldn't sell it for a P'08.

...unless I was running out of room. Again. ;)

I do like the P'08 a bit better than the PEK though...

Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

MissionBrown

Post by MissionBrown » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:49 am

carbon111 wrote:A good friend has an A6, messed with it quite a bit but its still never grabbed me. If I had one though. I probably wouldn't sell it for a P'08.

...unless I was running out of room. Again. ;)

I do like the P'08 a bit better than the PEK though...

Well I only have space for one keyboard and my modular(not counting the microkorg sitting in my rack).
Just one of the joys of living in a 1 bedroom flat with your Mrs.
I've money for ONE synth.
The P8 will cost me $600 less but I also lose 8 voices and a bucket load of features. Guess its going to come down to two things.

A: The music I play
B: The sound in person

While I like the A6 I found it a little glassy in the shop until I started hacking around with a patch from zip.

For me its a little annoying that most demo's for synths are either "new age" or bloody techno.....

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:57 am

the_undercutters wrote: For me its a little annoying that most demo's for synths are either "new age" or bloody techno.....
Isn't that the truth!!!
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:04 am

xpander wrote:DCOs not VCOs = deal breaker
= hang up over VCO in my opinion

Personally, I think the auditory characteristics between DCO and VCO are incredibly subtle. I think if you are weighing up the character of a synth you need to take into consideration other factors which probably have more effect on the overall sound. True, for bass and lead duties I would prefer to use VCO...but for poly stuff I actually prefer the 'sound' of DCO.

I think the P'08 sounds quite a bit wetter than the Andromeda. But how can this be...the Andromeda A6 is VCO.... it should piss all over the Prophet in every respect, right? :lol:

My point is that DCO or VCO....its all about implementation.
xpander wrote:it seems more like a JX-3P '08
I dont know. Have you ever used one? I havent. Ive yet to play a Roland I didnt enjoy.
xpander wrote:i'm sure it'll be nice but i think the A6 will hold its value more in the long run. but my, that P'08 would look nice next to my PEK and Prophet VS...
I think in the long run they'll be worth about the same. I think we're lucky they both cost the same as 'high end' (glorified soft synth) VA. Affordable analog poly's are here atlast..............thank god.
xpander wrote:now a P5 for an A6, that's an interesting trade. or Jupiter-6 for a P'08.
The A6 and Prophet 08 are fresh sounding analog poly's. Have you tried integrating the old Jupiter and prophet sound into modern styles....wow its f**k hard. I want true analog in my music....something fresh and useable. Its lovely to have nostalgia.....buts its really hard to cut records with it.

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:52 am

MrFrodo wrote:
bigfoot-studios wrote:Trading an A6 for a P-08 would be like trading in a JP-8 for a Juno-106.
If you say so. Aren't either the JP8 and Juno 106 or the A6 and the (pending) '08 supposed to complament each other? If you have the bucks, why not save up and get one of each?

I've never owned an A6, but I could see down the road owning either (or both) he A6 or the '08.
that's what I feel about it too. I didn't own 'em, but I'm eager to listen to a song made with both synths. I wonder that one is more powerful sounding, while the other is sweeter. also both looks great together too..one have a complex and luxurious looking interface and the other is looking simple and humble.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

amni

Post by amni » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:53 am

I have to say that the A6 preset sounds are VERY DULL sounding, all my 101 sounds I have made so far s**t all over the presets, mine are huge PHAT and bright too :-)

I have a 2007 batch and NO ISSUE with tuning....

I played the P08 and couldnt get the huge sound of my ARP 2600 patch...The P08 does sound a bit more alive but will try an take off the temp tune etc as someone has said.

In the real world Id love to mary Chika and have every synth in the world, or maybe just have every synth in the world...she may be a nagger! :-)
Serge Modular, Synthi AKS, Andromeda A6, (Plan B,Livewire,CGS,Doepfer) Eurorack Modular, x0xb0x,TR606,Machinedrum,MS20

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:24 am

A mate of mine is looking to buy a A6...Which S/N should he stay clear of..?
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

MissionBrown

Post by MissionBrown » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:51 am

amni wrote:I have to say that the A6 preset sounds are VERY DULL sounding, all my 101 sounds I have made so far s**t all over the presets, mine are huge PHAT and bright too :-)

I have a 2007 batch and NO ISSUE with tuning....

I played the P08 and couldnt get the huge sound of my ARP 2600 patch...The P08 does sound a bit more alive but will try an take off the temp tune etc as someone has said.

In the real world Id love to mary Chika and have every synth in the world, or maybe just have every synth in the world...she may be a nagger! :-)
Is that the Head VicModder?
Soundlab/wsg is nearly finished... again!

Show us some MP3's mate.

Track2

Post by Track2 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:24 pm

Bitexion wrote:That 2006 batch was a disaster, the A6 mailinglist flooded my inbox with complaints about oscillators that wouldn't go in tune no matter what people did. But I think most of those faulty units came during that batch. .
Do any of you Andy heads know if the current crop of A6's are still suffering similar QC problems as the 2006 batch? Have they sorted this or is it on-going?

I'm sorely tempted to order an A6 ....

Thanks
Triton ProX with MOSS, Z1, Q+ Phoenix, XTk, microQ, Supernova II, KS Rack, MS2000R, A6 Andromeda, Ion, Proteus 2500

amni

Post by amni » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:49 pm

as stated above the problem has gone my A6 is 2007 batch and is fine

here are some sounds i made
http://www.virb.com/rolandoberheim/music/albums/34621
Serge Modular, Synthi AKS, Andromeda A6, (Plan B,Livewire,CGS,Doepfer) Eurorack Modular, x0xb0x,TR606,Machinedrum,MS20

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:01 pm

hey amni, what about sharing your A6 presets in the A6 USER BANK COMMUNITY PROJECT ?

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-20051.html

here you can find my presets... so... what about sharing yours?

amni

Post by amni » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:10 pm

i dont have a problem doing that ..i am just starting to use the sysex MIDIOXSE and am not 110% sure I am saving things right give me a few tries i think i saved a whole bank ie 300800ks but i only shows as 280 ks on my computer so not sure what is on there just now..