Will you sell your Andromeda for the DSI prophet 08?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:36 pm

Why sell the A6 when you can make computer game music on it?

:lol:

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:43 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote: The A6 and Prophet 08 are fresh sounding analog poly's. Have you tried integrating the old Jupiter and prophet sound into modern styles....wow its f**k hard. I want true analog in my music....something fresh and useable. Its lovely to have nostalgia.....buts its really hard to cut records with it.
What do you mean by modern styles? Maybe I'm out of the loop but to me, my Jupiter-6 sounds more cutting edge than the P8 demos I've heard.
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:56 am

amni wrote:as stated above the problem has gone my A6 is 2007 batch and is fine
Hooray, that is good news. i got one of the old ones, but recently a friend played it several times, went nuts over it, and now really wants to buy a one now. told her to wait till i find out if the "Death Batch" is really over and past us.

is it possible for you to give us your SERIAL ? not sure if it gonna help, but couldnt hurt having a serial of a "working" new Andromeda for some orientation. ill feel more confindent if we find a new A6 with the serial in that ballpark.

thanks

@Digital Screams: judging by the P8 demos, but knowing my A6 very, very well, i'd agree P08 sounds brighter and clearer. its hi freq bandwith is definetely extended - it got a "wetness" as you call it, or smoothness, in that HF region, that lacks on A6. (aside from seq/arp/lfo abilities, the reason why i'm thinking of getting one..)

but i see no relevance of this with discering btwn a DCO and VCO. one is a comparison of bandwith and freq spectrum, the other to do with organic micro-variation of pitch of all oscillators, or lack of it - given u turn off the BKG TUNE function, you always feel its a VCO working on A6, just like you do on a P5 or JP8, likewise to me it sounds pretty obvious its a DCO texture in P08, esp when it does bass and pads. and this is where A6 excells. its two different sound textures. that being said, i like DCO synths too (like JX/MKS70 series), and using one isn't a "religious" issue for me :). in practice, dcos have their pros/cons, just like all other analog brethren.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Post by Raiven » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:20 am

The A6 and Prophet 08 are fresh sounding analog poly's. Have you tried integrating the old Jupiter and prophet sound into modern styles....wow its f**k hard. I want true analog in my music....something fresh and useable. Its lovely to have nostalgia.....buts its really hard to cut records with it.
Just use modern audio processing tools and methods. The P'08 sounds wonderful with Logic 8's chorus, Auto Filter, and reverbs.

I seem to constantly have a problem with Dave Smith's filters but the 4 pole 18db filter in Logic seems to do the trick for me.

Old school-new twist. :wink:

As for the other part of the conversation going on here, I for one don't much care whether it's DCO or VCO's, Analog or Digital. I just use it to get what I want to hear. Hard or soft. You can probably tell that from the kit list.

:rr:
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:22 am

This comes down to sound. The A6 can have a sheeny sound to it's pads. And the filter sweeps sound robotic. To me, it can sound similar to older synths, but it isn't and doesn't have the body older polys and the P08 have. The P08 sounds rich and full. Haven't heard it's filter much yet. Every sound you make on it seems money! Just beautiful sounding. The A6 can take more tweaking, with it's deeper interface.

I could see A6s being sold for the P08, just because of the rich sound and intuitive interface.

But to me, I would own an A6 because of it's sound, not because it's better than another synth. The A6 has a unique sound. So to me, it's apples and oranges.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:13 am

Well, ive just reviewed the po8 for a music mag and i have to say its one of the best sounding polys ive played. It holds its own next to my memorymoog though its a little smaller sounding thankfully!

The dco vs vco argument does not stand up with the po8 as it sounds so good in person.

It shimmers, the filter is wide and bright with an amazing range and the quality of sound is just stunning. I had an a6 for a while and though very deep its sound quality is nowhere near the po8. My 2 cents!

the achilles heel of the po8 is its interface which is fiddly and a bit confusing for adding mod quickly and knowing where your sounds are at without looking at the display is impossible.

cant have everything though!
htttp://www.myspace.com/jazzdoctor73
htttp://www.jd73.co.uk

LP/Voyager/Source/Moogerfoogers/NordStage/Logan SM2/Solina/Memorymoogplus/MicroKorg/B3+122RV/ClavD6/Rhodes Suitcase73x2/EmuE4K/YamahaEx5/Dx100

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:41 pm

goldphinga wrote:Well, ive just reviewed the po8 for a music mag and i have to say its one of the best sounding polys ive played. It holds its own next to my memorymoog though its a little smaller sounding thankfully!

The dco vs vco argument does not stand up with the po8 as it sounds so good in person.

It shimmers, the filter is wide and bright with an amazing range and the quality of sound is just stunning. I had an a6 for a while and though very deep its sound quality is nowhere near the po8. My 2 cents!

the achilles heel of the po8 is its interface which is fiddly and a bit confusing for adding mod quickly and knowing where your sounds are at without looking at the display is impossible.

cant have everything though!
So you are saying that P08 is sounding far better than A6 only because you had an A6 for a while... You said it's deep... so "a while" means nothing more than scrolling through the preset which everybody knows and claim that are 90% ugly and made only to hype the A6 as an "anti-Virus" synth.

Nothing against the P08... I hope I'll buy one soon or later... but why not sitting down in front of an A6. Initializing a sound... and trying to understand that the A6 in not only deep... but it has a lenght and an height too... :lol: My 2 cents !

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:58 pm

The A6 and the P'08 sound different, so it will just be a matter of taste. They both have more modulation routings than just about any vintage polysynth.

If you've ever owned (or played) old Sequential gear (P5, Pro-One, etc.) or even if you listen to just the analog side of an Evolver, there is a certain sound quality in the filter that makes them unique. Just like a Moog filter is unique sounding.

I happen to prefer the Prophet sound, so I'd choose that over an A6 if I could only have one synth. When it comes down to it, we're debating two awesome synths, so let your ears be the judge.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:03 pm

mao wrote:
So you are saying that P08 is sounding far better than A6 only because you had an A6 for a while... You said it's deep... so "a while" means nothing more than scrolling through the preset which everybody knows and claim that are 90% ugly and made only to hype the A6 as an "anti-Virus" synth.

Nothing against the P08... I hope I'll buy one soon or later... but why not sitting down in front of an A6. Initializing a sound... and trying to understand that the A6 in not only deep... but it has a lenght and an height too... :lol: My 2 cents !
easy on the defensive talk...
you are making unfounded assumptions....

I actually had it for 4 weeks which is more than enough for me to get to grips with a synth. I didnt like the sound of it compared to my memorymoog and again with the pro 8 AND im not into menu diving etc.

Instant gratification is what synths are about for me and im not talking about using presets. I ALWAYS make my own and all the synths i own (over 20) are very hands on no menu diving type synths. I dont want to have to plum the depths of a synth to make its sound good. Its should just sound good without a fight....

So next time dont assume that im a preset kinda guy... Also im one of the lucky folks that has spent serious time with the pro8 and believe me its a classy sounding beast and ive programmed the s**t outta it.

L8rs.
htttp://www.myspace.com/jazzdoctor73
htttp://www.jd73.co.uk

LP/Voyager/Source/Moogerfoogers/NordStage/Logan SM2/Solina/Memorymoogplus/MicroKorg/B3+122RV/ClavD6/Rhodes Suitcase73x2/EmuE4K/YamahaEx5/Dx100

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:08 am

goldphinga,

sorry for hurting you. That's was not my goal at all.

I tried the P08 and imho it sounds like a wonder. My doubt is in it's "sonic sign" that you love or hate. All the pads, strings and brass have that "sizzle". You can call it it's "color", "prophet sign" but as said it's only a taste point of view. The A6 seems (to me) giving much more wider sonic palette. Again it's a love or hate. I agree with you in the istant gratification. I had a polysix which gives me a lot of fun, without having any display. But now we are speaking about modern analogs which gives you much more routings and features, for example in the A6 things like choosing the shape of each stage of an envelope. That's crazy I know but you're not forced to do it. The A6 can be used "as is" using only the knobs like an old analog, but if you want you can go far deep using crazy modulation routings, fine tuning, tricks and so on. Using the well known "tips and tricks" document is the next level of A6 programming but again, no one is forced to do it.

I respect you point of view and sorry again.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:36 pm

I've seen A6 vs Memorymoog comparisons before in user reviews that owned both, and the A6 came out the strongest every time..not that it means a damn thing anyways. I'm going to test the P08 soon in a store (hopefully), but I'm not selling any other synth just to get it. I'm so "in" with the Andromeda I don't really see the point of selling it and learning another deep synth's interface all over again.

toonelind

Post by toonelind » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:47 pm

mao wrote:goldphinga,

All the pads, strings and brass have that "sizzle". You can call it it's "color", "prophet sign" but as said it's only a taste point of view.
doesn't a6 have that same sizzle in it's sounds? i played it several years ago and have listened to many demos lately and it seems to be a common quality of a6 also.

mao

Post by mao » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:12 pm

A6 can do the "sizzle" opening up in the post filter mix, but it's your choice. Pre & post MAKES the difference.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:21 pm

I think that eventually, people will own both of them.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:54 pm

The Prophet 08 Special Edition looks AWESOME. I really like the leopard wood sides. I have to say I like the vintage look of the Prophet more than the futuristic look of the Andromeda (which I think is preety cool aswell). But if it came down to it I'd probably get the Prophet since it's cheaper; but otherwise the Andomeda. I'd just have to play with them to know for sure. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!