Will you sell your Andromeda for the DSI prophet 08?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:44 am

toonelind wrote:
mao wrote:goldphinga,

All the pads, strings and brass have that "sizzle". You can call it it's "color", "prophet sign" but as said it's only a taste point of view.
doesn't a6 have that same sizzle in it's sounds? i played it several years ago and have listened to many demos lately and it seems to be a common quality of a6 also.
not really, when filters open its kinda saturated, w slight rolloff in highs. this character of highs its unlike any other poly ive heard. sometimes u want this, like on bandpass pads or acidic seq, and sometimes it gets shrill and out of place. when filter gets closed a bit, and this edge shaved off, it's more reminiscent of Obies of yesteryear (pre-cem era) sound. warm and organic in mids and mid lows.

the Curtis or cem sizzle, is very unique - exciting, sparkly. A6 doesn't have it. P08 definetely does, but its smoother, not as as agressive as with some early 80s curtis boards, like P5 rev3 or OB-Xa. i always felt CEM sound complemented A6 very nicely, so first poly i bought after A6 was an OB-Xa.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Peake

Post by Peake » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:13 am

I like the Evolver's analog section, so if the P'08 sounds like that or better, it would be a real contender for a grab-and-go synth. There is enough modulation there to make the DCOs move around a bit. I usually hate DCOs so consider this to be a real endorsement (if it sounds like or better than the Evolver analog section).

I don't see anything wrong with wanting and having a new Prophet, over an above an A6. The A6 is lacking in the midbass, where other synths sound "chesty and punchy". Its dynamic range is lower than some other synths. Its envelopes aren't as snappy.

But...I'd want both...

And A6 owners, have you considered a tip I recently put up on the electro-music.com A6 forum: to use voices 15 and 16 as shapers for the entire synth? If you really want more midbass and lower midrange, or crispier highs or overwhelming deep bass etc., turn on V15+16 for external audio, run them out of the main outputs, and run all synth patches through the aux outputs, patched into the V15 and 16 audio ins. Set filter 2 to fully open and a low mix level. Use filter 1 in parallel and try the different modes, Qs, and post filter mix levels to introduce bass, treble, midrange, wherever you set the filter to add (or cancel) the overall tone.

This can vary from subtle to extreme special effects. Please post if you get any smiles from this.

And you can also use the Schmitt triggers on those audio ins to trigger things in different programs at the same time.
Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:49 pm

goldphinga wrote:...AND im not into menu diving etc.

Instant gratification is what synths are about for me and im not talking about using presets...
The A6 has 72 knobs...if that can't bring instant gratification I don't know what can. :)

To each their own though...if you don't like the sound then you don't like the sound. It's that simple. I like my A6 and at some point in the future I'd like to get a P08 to go with it. It's got the kind of sound I wanted to get from my Evolver...when I had one.

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:19 pm

Peake wrote:I like the Evolver's analog section, so if the P'08 sounds like that or better, it would be a real contender for a grab-and-go synth. There is enough modulation there to make the DCOs move around a bit. I usually hate DCOs so consider this to be a real endorsement (if it sounds like or better than the Evolver analog section).

I don't see anything wrong with wanting and having a new Prophet, over an above an A6. The A6 is lacking in the midbass, where other synths sound "chesty and punchy". Its dynamic range is lower than some other synths. Its envelopes aren't as snappy.

But...I'd want both...
i'd say thats a pretty fair assessment of both synths. I think the A6 excels in the harder styles of music/analog tones. The A6 is bright and cutting with all the benefits of true analog in that it spits and screams. The A6 is not particularly warm sounding for the the reason stated above....but nor was the Jupiter 6....which was loved by the dance freternity back in the early 90's. Recording with the A6 and 'O8 in combination would be pretty special in my mind.

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:47 pm

Peake wrote:The A6 is lacking in the midbass, where other synths sound "chesty and punchy".
I've found that boosting the mids is a key component of making a synth sound more like a vintage analog. Even if you just use the cheap EQ on a home studio mixer. This can help out VAs a lot. I first figured that out on a Korg Z1 (now long gone). That had a fairly nice built-in EQ section, and anytime I was going for an analog sound, I'd boost the mids, and it suddenly didn't sound "flat" and "lifeless" like a VA can sometimes.

I don't own an A6, but here's a list of what I AM selling in order to buy a P'08:

Alesis ION
DSI Evolver desktop
Korg ESX-1 sampler
One of my acoustic guitars
Maybe plasma/any bodily fluids worth $

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:19 am

goldphinga wrote:
Yeah, all those dials are great but theres no point having a gold plated steering wheel to drive your Lada if you know what i mean... :O))))

Only jesting..
The a6 is ok but just not great.
That's OK...People like what they like. As long as you get something useful out of what you have...that's all that matters. I personally couldn't picture selling my A6 as it does a good job of the things I want it to do...and I like the sound. Now selling the Little Phatty and using the money towards a P08...