What synth are you in love with?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Om

Post by Om » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:38 pm

I love the EDP Wasp. It glows a lovely shade of fluro lemon if you shine a UV light on it.

immigrantboy

Post by immigrantboy » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:39 am

This probably doesn't count because its my first synth, but I just picked up my Yamaha pss-480, and I love it! Despite having the ugly speakers in the corners, it feels like slightly more than Casio level cheese, if only slightly. Very bare-bones FM synthesis, cheap (paid $15 for it) and easy...
Main Gear: Korg M500, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha PSS-480, sitar, cassette tapes
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"

matamoris

Post by matamoris » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:17 pm

Keith Phillips wrote:It is probably a sin to admit this...and my A6 is going to hate me...but the Yamaha SY85. Not quite sure why or how, but it's just...really damn good for what it is.
It holds a special place in my heard too. There something about the filters in that thing that make it so unique sounding. however, the one voice per patch really limits its sound-making abilities.
Yamaha AN1x, EX5, SY77
Roland XP60, D-50
Korg Wavestation EX
Ensoniq SQ80

matamoris

Post by matamoris » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:19 pm

I'm enjoying a two-month affair with an SY77. This thing blows me away, and I've been through numerous synths in the last 20 years.
Yamaha AN1x, EX5, SY77
Roland XP60, D-50
Korg Wavestation EX
Ensoniq SQ80

zukskywalker

Post by zukskywalker » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:13 pm

Wow, six pages and no mention of my baby.
I'm caught in that "my first synth syndrome", along with being WAAAY too house and family poor to even consider anything "state of the art". It's almost embarassing but here goes...
Yes, I love my old DX7IIFDE!
For me, that E! card makes all the difference in the world for this board. It sounds great, I'm still learning "FM" synthesis, it's small, lightweight, built like a tank, downright sexy, accepts all my controllers (sustain, volume, and ESPECIALLY breath control) and loyally spits out CC's to my gear, and oh yeah, there's about a gazillion patches out there for it to play around with for free. It was an interesting starting point to say the least.
Is it just me?

kulten

Post by kulten » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:50 pm

neandrewthal wrote:
kulten wrote:my loving synth ?

let's guess it...

yeah ! you win !

O:)
Yamaha GX-1?
:drunken: BOSS SYB-3 of course... but the ROLAND SH-101 is my 99% choice.............
a way of live : BOSS SYB-3 bass synthesizer

https://www.facebook.com/Kulten/

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:46 am

I guess its not completely a synth, but my ESX-1 is my backbone and i love it. h**l, I pretty much only use like 3 tracks on songs nowadays because so much is done on the tribe.

kogmachine
Gear: Probably way too much gear

Post by kogmachine » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:29 am

I have a QS 6.1 and an N5-EX. Very similar boards, though the N5 has an arp that I find totally useless. Of my romplers I choose the QS.

I have an Ion and I had a Microkorg. Sold the Microkorg because the arp was fussier about my mediocre playing ability and the interface wasn't as easy to use as the Ion. At first I liked the MK more than the Ion. Of my VA I choose the Ion. I bought it without reading much on it or playing it, so lucky pick. It does have things about it I don't like, I guess that'd be true with any board.

Of the many softsynths I own it's really hard to say. It depends on my mood, and right now probably Vanguard. But I think also Atlantis is a great freebie.

So I'm not ashamed to admit that I love pretty much everything Alesis makes. Still, I lust after Access and Waldorf synths even though I've never seen one in the flesh. Someday I'll get a Virus TI and a Q of some kind, but for certain I'll get a Fusion 8HD and maybe an Andromeda.
Don't be afraid, ever... cause this is just a ride.

Pighood

Post by Pighood » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:32 am

Welcome to my sty:

Triton Pro * V-Synth * Q * Andromeda * Fizmo * MEK * Virus TI * A-100 * X-Station

West_Berliner
Gear: Nord Lead 2, Nord Modular, Virus C, Machinedrum SPS-1
Band: musique concrete

Post by West_Berliner » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:13 am

i absolutely love my nord modular. im constantly learning new things with it, and love that i can go and make up a patch that i thought up in my head. the fact that im actually understanding it enough that i know how to make that patch makes me happy too :)
"Destruction is not negative. you must destroy to build" - Blixa Bargeld

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:43 am

This probably doesn't count since I JUST got it this weekend, but I'm really digging John Bowen's Solaris. No, I'm not the first on the block with the hardware synth, I got the Scope plug-in. I only have enough DSP to run two voices (usually in unison mono) but the sound is absolutely nut rattling. Seriously, the thing may neuter me in a week.

I know, I know, a plug-in synth on VSE! But it absolutely slays. Moreso than any other VA I've heard by a long shot. I was toying with the idea of a Virus TI but that's a distant memory now. All I need is a Novation Remote Zero to program it. And $3200 to save for the hardware synth...
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

crufty

Post by crufty » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:47 am

For me, it's the fr 777 (in conjunction with usual suspects). I'm not sure why, it doesn't really make a lot of sense on paper I guess. But every time I fire it up, pretty soon I'm smiling and next time I look up it's 1am and where did the evening go...

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:09 am

Keith Phillips wrote:It is probably a sin to admit this...and my A6 is going to hate me...but the Yamaha SY85. Not quite sure why or how, but it's just...really damn good for what it is.
yes, I also like the TG500 a lot, there's some nice rompler engine in it.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:20 am

thestreets wrote:I guess its not completely a synth, but my ESX-1 is my backbone and i love it. h**l, I pretty much only use like 3 tracks on songs nowadays because so much is done on the tribe.
I totally agree, but i don't think i would have understood before i got my EMX. I just got that guy about a week ago, and i can't believe how much i like it. When i saw this thread, i was like man i like my cs15 alot, and i know my EMX isn't totally a synth...but yea, it's my backbone too. I am about to start recording, and i can see how you'd only need like 2 or three tracks to make really layered songs.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

nikseven

Post by nikseven » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:08 pm

i am currently in love with my roland sh-1, especially now that i obtained a mpu-101.
vocode we must