Thoughts on the Novation K-Station?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
realpolitik

Thoughts on the Novation K-Station?

Post by realpolitik » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:26 am

I've been in the market for a synth to use mostly for trancey sounds, and the K-Station sprung to mind. Seeing as the V-Station is immensely popular among tranceheads, I figured having the real thing with supposedly better filters would be a winning solution, especially since for a 3-osc VA it consistently goes for around 350-400ish on ebay.

Are there any viable alternative or better solutions for the sound I want? I want that really clean, somewhat metallic sound. I'd like to stray away from VSTs due to limitations of my computer and also from racks/modules because I'd like to be able to use it live without all the midi controlling c**p I struggle with at home. Keyboard size isn't really an issue, I can live with the K's 25-key.

I apologize for my n00bdom, but I've seen some really mixed opinions on this synth.
Yamaha Motif XS8, Yamaha TX81z, MIDInes

keybdwizrd

Post by keybdwizrd » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:56 am

I had a K-station for maybe six months a few years back. It was my first VA and ultimately helped me decide to buy a Virus Indigo.

At times, the K-station can be a great-sounding synth. It has lots of features and is strong in the bang-for-the-buck department.

Other synths to consider might be the Korg MS2000 and Alesis Ion.

IMHO, the MS2000 is probably an inherently better-sounding synth than the K-station. But the K-station has more onboard effects (including reverb) and greater polyphony than the MS2000. On the downside, the K-station's build quality is rather cheezy, you can't name patches, and I recall the arpeggiator being rather dull.

I have no experience with the Ion.

In any case, the K-station isn't a large investment, and if you buy one and don't like it you'll probably be able to sell it again. It's a cool little synthesizer, but it could leave you wanting to upgrade to something with a bit more substance.

Dano

Post by Dano » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:41 am

I have the A-station and also bought a Novation Xiosynth a couple months ago and would say go for the Xiosynth. At $299 it goes well beyond what the K-station does.

The Xiosynth has more filter types, better arpeggiator, X-Gator feature for trancey/rhythmically gated patches, X-Y touch pad, "filter shape" control for raspier sounds if desired, alpha-numeric display and overall better presets IMO.

realpolitik

Post by realpolitik » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:39 am

keybdwizrd wrote:
IMHO, the MS2000 is probably an inherently better-sounding synth than the K-station. But the K-station has more onboard effects (including reverb) and greater polyphony than the MS2000. On the downside, the K-station's build quality is rather cheezy, you can't name patches, and I recall the arpeggiator being rather dull.
Thanks, but if you'd read my sig you'd see I already have an ms ;) it's pretty nice for bass sounds and I've gotten some decent trancey sounds out of it, but the 4-voice polyphony and only 2osc really kill me.

Would it be worth it to try to score a Virus Indigo/KC, or should I just save for a secondhand TI? Is there that much tonal difference?
Yamaha Motif XS8, Yamaha TX81z, MIDInes

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:59 am

out of the majority of my synths right now, I reach for the k-station the most frequently. It's just fun to play.
totsland.net / chvad.com / 8bitaudio.net / darksonus.com / invisiblerecords.com
Moog LP, SCI Six-Trak, Roland RS09, Crumar Performer, PAIA Fatman, Korg EX-8000, Waldorf µwaveXTK, Novation K-Station, XioSynth, KS4, Alesis Ion, Korg ER-1, Etherwave, MidiNES

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:23 pm

fun.
dancey.
some knob-turns are steppy.
sounds kind thin sometimes.
so what do I put down here now?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:37 pm

The K-Station is not that bad, as long as you like that Novation sound. You might be better off with an older Virus though.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:15 pm

Tyler2000 wrote:sounds kind thin sometimes.
With 3 osc/voice which can all be set to double waveforms (with no polyphony loss), 2-8 voice unison modes and EQ boost, phat is always an option - There is no reason an A-Station, K-Station, or Xiosynth have to sound thin.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:34 pm

I think there's a kind of classic quality to the K Station that makes it perfect, despite not being as feature-full as some other synths. Its jsut really easy to enjoy playing it.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

synthshaw

Post by synthshaw » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:30 pm

The k station would probably suit your needs more than the ms2000.It dosn't sound exactly analog per se but...

Good points,
1, It can sound fat/thick
2, It's got 8 voice poly
3, It's compact
4, built in fx are quite good.

Bad points,

1, Filters sound quite strange/different esp with high resonance.
2, Ailiasing can be quite bad, especially PWM at very high pitch.(although i like it).

I've got some superb sounds from this little synth, and i think it's more geared towards the 'Trace' sound than other VA's so i say get one, at that price you can't go wrong.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:04 pm

I asked about the K Station on this forum recently, before i bought it, you can search to find the post it has lots of opinions about it.

It's a very nice synth. absolutley fun.
mis psiquicos y yo
In electronic music, sequencers are as important as synths, they all modify your composition and playing

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Thoughts on the Novation K-Station?

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:11 am

realpolitik wrote:a synth to use mostly for trancey sounds...really clean, somewhat metallic sound.
the JP-8000 is good for this type of sounds.
Last edited by crystalmsc on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:14 am

Dano wrote:I have the A-station and also bought a Novation Xiosynth a couple months ago and would say go for the Xiosynth. At $299 it goes well beyond what the K-station does.

The Xiosynth has more filter types, better arpeggiator, X-Gator feature for trancey/rhythmically gated patches, X-Y touch pad, "filter shape" control for raspier sounds if desired, alpha-numeric display and overall better presets IMO.
is it true that xiosynth has no midi in (or midi out?) cant remember which one but someone was saying something along these lines

Dano

Post by Dano » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:36 pm

That is true, the Xiosynth has no MIDI in - only MIDI out.

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:05 pm

it sounds like a Juno synth