New Dave Smith Instruments site

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
QQ1

New Dave Smith Instruments site

Post by QQ1 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:04 pm

hogberto

Post by hogberto » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:23 pm

big improvement 8)

especially with a brand new prophet synth featured on it. :wink:

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:24 pm

i am glad the specs were finally released....the DCO is a big turn off for me...
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:33 pm

wiss wrote:....the DCO is a big turn off for me...
Why?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:36 pm

JSRockit wrote:
Why?

9 out of 10 synthesizer snobs agree that DCOs are a big turn off!

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

why i was turned off.....

Post by wiss » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:48 pm

in interview dave said he didnt want to remake anything he has already made....so here he comes with a new prophet and its a DCO model...its just a let down...not saying its not going to kick a*s, I am not in a hurrry now to run over to A.H. to try it out.
I enjoy the evolvers sounds and those are DCO and basically the same ones off the VS's and I know dave really enjoys the sound of the VS
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:53 pm

It's funny because I'm not bothered that it's DCO's ... but then I look at my gear and see that it's mostly all VCO's .... and then I remember I have no plans on getting the Prophet '08.

but ... BoomChik!!!!!!!

Chaorta
Gear: Eurorack Modular, Korg ER-1, Voice of Saturn Sequencer, Gakken SX150

Post by Chaorta » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:57 pm

I realize DCO's have that nasty "D" attached to them, but, er, you did listen to the sound samples eh?
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:03 pm

An interesting array of sounds on the new demos and having read the manual, I think I would very much like one. Most of my favourite synths have had DCOs, so this isn't an obstacle for me.

I'm glad it shares a similar interface to the MEK - operating it should be second-nature. Interesting to read that it has semi-weighted keys - I like the sound of that - I don't like my action too fast.

Just have to see if we get shafted in the UK - if Turnkey are asking too much, there's always Thomann.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:03 pm

"It's that damn evil T isn't it" .... ;)

sound examples are sorta wack... I don't blame the machine though.. it's gonna sound tits... basically any synth can sound tits IMO .. as long as you have programming skills and taste. The latter is MUCH more important..
Last edited by JUGEL on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r33k

Post by r33k » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:27 pm

I was interested in the variety of sounds in the demo clips, but I thought the instrument sounded thin and kind of clinical. That may work fine for many things, especially in a busy arrangement, or in conjunction with outboard signal processing (see: Nord Lead), but for raw tone, I don't think it's in there.

jko

Post by jko » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:34 pm

Really doesn't sound clinical to me ; in fact more characterful than most of the DCO synths I've heard and owned . I will be ordering one...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: why i was turned off.....

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:46 pm

wiss wrote:in interview dave said he didnt want to remake anything he has already made....so here he comes with a new prophet and its a DCO model...its just a let down...not saying its not going to kick a*s, I am not in a hurrry now to run over to A.H. to try it out.
I enjoy the evolvers sounds and those are DCO and basically the same ones off the VS's and I know dave really enjoys the sound of the VS
I think you're confused as to what DCOs are. The VS used digital lookup table oscillators, not DCOs. That's what the Evolvers have for osc 3 & 4. The Prophet 08 has DCOs, ie digitally clocked analogue oscillators, like osc 1 & 2 on the Evolvers. They sound really different.

Hope that clears it up for you. :)

DocT

Post by DocT » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:28 pm

JUGEL wrote:"It's that damn evil T isn't it" .... ;)

sound examples are sorta wack...
In the last weeks before a new instrument is released, the developer needs a few reliable people for precise betatesting, rather quick soundprogramming, disciplined sorting and other tedious stuff.
That's why Dave Smith couldn't engage a good musician for making demos yet ;)

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:39 pm

r33k wrote:I was interested in the variety of sounds in the demo clips, but I thought the instrument sounded thin and kind of clinical. That may work fine for many things, especially in a busy arrangement, or in conjunction with outboard signal processing (see: Nord Lead), but for raw tone, I don't think it's in there.
Hmm, well the demos I am hearing have more spit and splat than the Evolver. That spit and splat define the Sequential/CEM sound of old. I wonder how many people commenting on the sound of the P'08 have ever had an old polyphonic Sequential that worked correctly.

IMHO Dave has taken those DCOs well over the edge in this design. Not to mention the rest of the signal path - I clearly detect a sense of "dimension" in the sound that most new hardware/software synths lack. That sense of "dimension" is another hallmark of vintage synths.