New Dave Smith Instruments site

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
megawatt

Post by megawatt » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:19 pm

I've never heard a horrible synth - just bad music.

I really like the new DSI site much more than the old one. They both have a home-grown feel much like DSI synths. I like the new p8 demos sort of. But I rarely trust demos. They could probably use a better marketing person for the product pages but that would cost more than It's worth.

I love my MEK, totally dug the PEK, had a Pro-One for a time... and also like other gear that's not made by DSI. I've had VCO and DCO synths and basically have found that most synths sound different from each other and have thier place - thank god. Hey I like the Alesis Andromeda too - and love what Ryan Leslie does it with it - is it "better" ???

I've also found that all synths are not perfect and always have at least some bugs or require work-arounds - I'd love to find one that doesn't.

I'm down with the split layer on the P8. If I wanted a poly that has crazy sound sculpting possibilities I'd stick with the PEK or maybe the Andy. As I'm looking for a performance poly with more of a straight ahead analog sound the P8 will have that covered. Which is why I just boldly ordered one based on my previous experiences with DSI.

For all the folks intent on bashing - I'd love to hear the music that you make with all of the "better" gear in your disposal . Maybe you could point us in the direction of your CDs so we can be wowed by VCOs and FM modulation?

I make music for fun and have been for 20 years. I've long since given up rock star dreams but enjoy playing/writing and chatting about synths. I'm a bit of a gear junky and probably have an addition problem. VSE often reminds me of 12 step meetings for this reason. It also has begun to remind me of Jr High School with the amount of EGO and lack of respect displayed here.

I have no idea why Dave Smith makes synths - maybe because he's good at it - has passion, creativity and hangs out with creative people who push each other to do great things. I used to think VSE was a place with people like this but I guess it's not. I'd offer that 30 years in the business makes him more qualified to make decisions on building synths than (most) anyone on this board.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

stillearning

Post by stillearning » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:30 pm

Megawatt, I think you saved a few of us a lot of typing. Thanks.
As always, kindly allow for the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.

jko

Post by jko » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:34 pm

It's good that DSI actually exists ; otherwise many of us passionate about synths would have to invent a company like it in imaginative fantasy :wink:
In coming up with products like new keyboard polysynths, it's the only company I know of that's actually responding to what many people I've worked with want.

cheers!
Last edited by jko on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

synthshaw

Post by synthshaw » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:59 pm

megawatt, that is a good statement mate, i totally agree with you. Digitally controlled analogue oscillators are the best thing to use for a modern poly IMO. Each synth has it's own character anyway, regardless of DCO this or VCO that, thats why my wife lets me fill the spare room with synths!

Peter Kearney

Audio Demos

Post by Peter Kearney » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:36 pm

:?:
Last edited by Peter Kearney on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

johnb

Post by johnb » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:12 pm

megawatt wrote:... I've had VCO and DCO synths and basically have found that most synths sound different from each other and have their place - thank god.
Totally agree!!
megawatt wrote:I have no idea why Dave Smith makes synths - maybe because he's good at it - has passion, creativity and hangs out with creative people who push each other to do great things... I'd offer that 30 years in the business makes him more qualified to make decisions on building synths than (most) anyone on this board.
I know why Dave makes synths - he's good at it, has passion...all the things you mentioned!

cheers,
john bowen

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:30 pm

How many times are people going to b***h about DCOs they haven't heard yet??? :?
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

amni

Post by amni » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:35 pm

the demos make the synth sound a bit thin, it does have that prophet sound though. will have to give it a demo....i want to hear some bass sounds

jko

Post by jko » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:38 pm

As people have said, the previous trippler demos we've heard in the last week seem to do a much better job of showing off the synth.

F5D

Re: Audio Demos

Post by F5D » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:43 pm

Peter Kearney wrote:The new prophet looks interesting and I'll definitely be checking it out.. but goddamn those are some of the worst, if not the worst audio demos I've ever heard. Don't give me BS about Dave not having time to get real musicians to make patches.. the evo/mek/pek demos are the second worst I've ever heard. Demos like that do a great disservice to whomever has to sell these things.
I agree. It's also hard to decide whether the synths are good or not because the demos are showing sounds of a music genre which I don't listen to at all. I just have to imagine what the evolvers or the p08 would sound like when programming sounds which I use. I bet that the DS synths are very good. It's just like andromeda, the presets are poor but the synth is great.
F5D @ SoundCloud, futuresounddesign.com - sounds for your synthesizers

SWAN

Re: why i was turned off.....

Post by SWAN » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:06 pm

wiss wrote:in interview dave said he didnt want to remake anything he has already made....so here he comes with a new prophet and its a DCO model...its just a let down...not saying its not going to kick a*s, I am not in a hurrry now to run over to A.H. to try it out.
I enjoy the evolvers sounds and those are DCO and basically the same ones off the VS's and I know dave really enjoys the sound of the VS
I have to say, I think it sounds absolutely lovely.

.....But I cant help but feel let down about the fact that it cant transport me through time back to the age where they still made synthesisers through technology which is unreliable?

Why couldnt Dave Smith make something with just my concerns at the forefront of his agenda?

At least include a teleportation setting in the modulation routing-would that be so unreasonable?......

I think Im going to write it off right now without even trying it. Thats probably the best idea.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:32 pm

What I'd like to know is if they'll create a new Drumtraks.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

amni

Post by amni » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:50 pm

boom chick?

amni

Post by amni » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:50 pm

boom chick?
drumtrax was a great clunky drum machine great with extra eproms

tombola

Post by tombola » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:58 pm

I am fullly aware of vast difference between a DCO and VCO
bottom line I dont what a new prophet with a digital oscillators, I want them to be voltage controlled. I want pure analog... thats my turn off....the new prophet should be 100% analog...it

If you're confusing the waveform oscillators on the VS and Evolver with DCOs it's clear you have no idea what you're talking about.

If you want to be an analogue snob, at get your facts straight
:)