anyone have Advice for me before I buy a Juno 60

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

anyone have Advice for me before I buy a Juno 60

Post by kushwonder » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:25 am

I am going to look at a Juno 60 this week that this guy has for sale. I just wanted to know if there is anything that I should check out in particular before i buy it. I am new at buying vintage synths and want to make sure I dont buy a lemon. Thanks for your help in advance ;)

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:28 am

Will the seller let you play it in his space? It's far less of a gamble if you can play the 60 before laying anything down.
Last edited by MrFrodo on Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

presets
No Longer Registered

Post by presets » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:24 am

the juno 60 is pretty reliable but if you are able to play it try to have at least 20-30 minutes with it. thats when problems could arise.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

There's a factory testing mode that is achieved by holding a certain button down while powering up. It cycles through the voices (so if you play 6 notes and only hear 5 sounds, one is dead) and has some testing patches.

Moving the faders should be effortless and should not cause noise/crackling
Moving the volume knob - ditto, but minor crackling's not as big of a disaster since you'll probably leave it in one place anyway. It just means a bargaining option.
Check the LFO "manual" switch; put the DCO LFO up to the max, set the LFO to MAN, delay to 0 and rate to 40%. Hit the LFO button; you should hear that. If the LFO button's not functioning, again; it's not that big of a disaster, but a reason to scrape some off the price.
Check the LEDs.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

re

Post by kushwonder » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:48 pm

I will be able to play with it before I buy, so I'm bringing my headphones with me.. thank you for your replies especially "Yoozer" !

If anyone else has anything to add please do so. I will be looking at it in a day or so.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:56 pm

Only thing I can think of that hasn't been said is to look at the cosmetic condition, this may be a way to knock a few dollars off. Especially if there's any rust on the caseing, then again this would indicate it wasn't even decently taken care of. I hope it happens to be a real jewel, I'm sure you'll love it; I know I would. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Also,

Post by kushwonder » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:44 pm

I read about "Test Mode" on retrosound.de , but I don't understand how that will help to test it for any problems... Can anyone elaborate on how to use the test mode to help me see if there are any problems with the unit...
Here's what I read about test mode;

Fire the Juno up with the KEY-TRANSPOSE button pressed. Now you're in testmode.
Testmode let you have three different keyassign modes. You select assign mode
with the arpeggio mode-switch.
If the arpeggio mode-switch is:

UP - mono mode. All 6 voices are assigned to the lastest key pressed. Very fat!

UP/DOWN - rotary mode. First key pressed will use for instance voice 1, they
next key will use voice 2 and so on. If you now keep 4 keys pressed and
releases three of them next key will be assigned to voice 5. Voices are always
assigned in number order but the first key doesn't always assign voice 1. If
you keep one key down, that voice will not be assigned until you release this
key.

DOWN - non-rotary mode. First key pressed will use for instance voice 1, they
next key will use voice 2 and so on. If you now keep 4 keys pressed and
releases three of them next key will be assigned to voice 1. Voices are always
assigned to the voice available with the smallest number.

In to the service manual the voices are assigned in "cyclic manner" and
the 7th key pressed steals the 1th voice. Then the manual says there are "three more"
key assign modes using the test mode described above.

In testmode HOLD button will work as normal. Arpeggio will also work.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Also,

Post by Yoozer » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:05 pm

Juno-60 Test Mode says wrote: Fire the Juno up with the KEY-TRANSPOSE button pressed. Now you're in testmode.
I hope this is obvious :).
UP - mono mode. All 6 voices are assigned to the lastest key pressed. Very fat!
Useless for testing.
UP/DOWN - rotary mode. First key pressed will use for instance voice 1, the next key will use voice 2 and so on. If you now keep 4 keys pressed and releases three of them next key will be assigned to voice 5. Voices are always assigned in number order but the first key doesn't always assign voice 1. If you keep one key down, that voice will not be assigned until you release this key.
This is the test mode you need.

Compare this to a row of 6 toilets - the voices of the Juno. If you play a chord, the first 3 are "occupied". If you release that chord, then the first 3 are "free" again - provided that the sound fades away quickly enough. If you wait, then play another 3-note chord, the first three are occupied again. If you then play another chord while holding the first, all 6 voices are occupied. If you then release the first chord - doors 1, 2 and 3 are suddenly free, 4, 5 and 6 are occupied.

Now, if you'd only play 1 single note every time, only the first would be occupied. There'd be no need to let it choose the second or the third voice - the first one's free, so pick that and you're done. That's non-rotary mode, and the default mode of operation on the Juno.

Rotary mode forces the Juno to cycle through the voices. So, if you play one note, the first voice is occupied, but if you release it and play another, it'll choose the second voice.

This is especially handy with synths which have a high polyphony count - if you're already playing 6 notes, the extra 7th is hard to discern, and the 8th even harder. Rotary mode means that you only have to press a key 6 times (or 8 if you're talking about an 8-voice) and you're guaranteed to hear a different voice every time.

Hope that helps.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:39 pm

Make sure the left hand controls work. Check if the octave switch is nice and quick. I use that all the time.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:36 pm

beware of sliders that generate data on their own. it isn't always obvious.

kushwonder
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

re

Post by kushwonder » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:01 pm

So, I bought the juno 60 for $300 dollars. It wasn't in as good of shape that I was hoping, but its decent.. Cosmetically it was probably a 6.5 out of ten and it obviously hadn't been cleaned since the 80's... Everything worked on the Juno, all the voices, faders, and buttons so I coudn't leave without it... I took It home, took it apart and cleaned it really good. I used some caig deoxit, fader lubricant, and rubbing alcohol where needed. I reloaded the factory sound bank and everything works great. The sound is very clean with no dirty noises when using any of the faders or buttons... Except, the Stereo out only plays out of the left channel... Not sure why that is, but I'm going to try and get it fixed.

Thanks again to all of you for helping me, especially Yoozer !

gearaddict

Post by gearaddict » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:26 am

glad to hear it pretty much all worked out for you... i was looking for a 60 for a while, and when i get back to LA, i will probably start looking again... I love the Juno 60!
Jordan H
Gear|Addict Clothing
(Designer/Creator)
Unique synth/audio/recording clothing for adults and kids
http://www.cafepress.com/gearaddict