What is fair market value on an ARP 2600 as of TODAY?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
rjd2

What is fair market value on an ARP 2600 as of TODAY?

Post by rjd2 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:24 pm

therein lies the question. the ebay prices seemed to hover between 2500-3500. then ONE sold for 5100 a week or two back.

one went up for sale locally-the guy seems to think its worth 5100. what do you guys think? its a little....out of my price range, im just wondering what is reasonable on these.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:26 pm

It used to be $1500-$3000, last year anyway.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: What is fair market value on an ARP 2600 as of TODAY?

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:42 pm

rjd2 wrote:therein lies the question. the ebay prices seemed to hover between 2500-3500. then ONE sold for 5100 a week or two back.

one went up for sale locally-the guy seems to think its worth 5100. what do you guys think? its a little....out of my price range, im just wondering what is reasonable on these.
this wouldn't happen to be the one in philly is it? I hate when they claim the most recent ebay sale as a fair price.

maybe we can bid him down Rj :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:51 pm

Very recent eBay prices:

$3269
$4049
$5100
$4050

And I bought one here for $3200.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:01 pm

People with enough cash will buy it no matter how much. Mostly record producers and such with "infinite" money available I guess.

I just saw a VH1 show about The biggest celebrity spenders of 2006.
We're not talking a few thousand bucks, more like spending 20 million dollars on a birthday party for your girlfriend.

AG-From your sig it seems you've sold the 2600 again. Didn't like it that much?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:13 pm

Bitexion wrote:People with enough cash will buy it no matter how much. Mostly record producers and such with "infinite" money available I guess.

I just saw a VH1 show about The biggest celebrity spenders of 2006.
We're not talking a few thousand bucks, more like spending 20 million dollars on a birthday party for your girlfriend.

AG-From your sig it seems you've sold the 2600 again. Didn't like it that much?
I'm getting it today.
I haven't put it in my sig yet, nor removed that which I sold to get it.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:41 pm

Oldie but goldie:

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:57 pm

dunno about current outburst of insane pricing, but when my bandmate was buying one, yr and a half ago, going prices were btwn 2000 and 3500, depending on condition, keyboard and version.

grey/blue meanies were usually more expensive than the late black orange versions. he got that the late ver, and is planning on hooking up Phil Scirroco's clone of the original ARP4012 ladder filter ("moog-patent-suit"), so he can have both "sounds" (4012 and 4075).

personally, id never pay over 3K given its an earlier version. in reality, i'd be content in getting an Blk n Gold Oddysey, and doing the patch point mod to it - effectively making it a semi moduloar.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:44 am

Heh heh, Bitexion... that cartoon is hilarious... it only demonstrates the disparity between people who want modern power and people who want traditional sound. Plainly the author of the cartoon is the former. :)

Clusterchord:
The "meanies," which some old-time ARP people call "Marvins" are extremely rare, the grey most of all. There is mostly just the couple of incarnations of the grey-face and the orange and black version.

The patch-pointed Odysseys and Avatars are cool.

I bought the oldest standard grey version because I want the original sound... just like I bought a pre-update Minimoog.
I remember when 2600s were in the 1500-2000 range, too... and I couldn't believe that anything so old could go for so much. I am glad to have paid what I did for this one because to me it's worth it. I've been playing this thing for an hour and I am floored at the fact that it has a very unique and distinctive functionality which gives it its own sound. It is astounding.
This has the original ladder filter, and it sounds unMoog, but great.

Tex

Post by Tex » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:44 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:Very recent eBay prices:

$3269
$4049
$5100
$4050

Great synth But, what a waste. $5,100.00 is even more nauseating. This retro madness is at it's bell curve. Thank god that the new analogs are here to flood the market and offset this insanity. I saw someone else say something like "let the collectors and nostalgists pay stupid prices" I couldn't agree more! I love my vintage boards and my new boards and the only differences between them are more features and reliability.

-Tex
DSI PEK, Prophet 08(soon),Moog Voyager AE, Multimoog,Moog Liberation,Polymoog 203a,280a,Hammond D-100,E-100, Farfisa CCD w/ Leslie 825.

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:09 am

Tex wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:Very recent eBay prices:

$3269
$4049
$5100
$4050

Great synth But, what a waste. $5,100.00 is even more nauseating. This retro madness is at it's bell curve. Thank god that the new analogs are here to flood the market and offset this insanity. I saw someone else say something like "let the collectors and nostalgists pay stupid prices" I couldn't agree more! I love my vintage boards and my new boards and the only differences between them are more features and reliability.

-Tex
Amen to that sir. And damn you for having a Polymoog... i wants one!!@#@!#

Mitchell
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

REwire

Post by REwire » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:09 pm

A friend asked me if I could keep just one of my vintage synths and sell everything else which one. I thought a bit and concluded I'd keep the Arp2600. It is simply the best combination of vintage sound, portability, patchability and stability of all the vintage self contained synths. It can be as big and mean sounding as anything ever made or sweet and soft as the nicest ones.

My orange face has been modded by Phil Cirrocco and fixes the faulty filter in later models. Everyone tells me the orange faces are more valuable these days and I paid $4000 a year and a half ago.
Buchla, Serge & Eurorack Modular; EML101; Minimoog; Synthacon; MS20; Nord2; NordG1; PolyEvoRack; MKS80; MKS50; TB303; Electribe EMX1; JV1080
http://www.REwireMusic.com

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:41 pm

Tex wrote:Great synth But, what a waste. $5,100.00 is even more nauseating. This retro madness is at it's bell curve. Thank god that the new analogs are here to flood the market and offset this insanity. I saw someone else say something like "let the collectors and nostalgists pay stupid prices" I couldn't agree more! I love my vintage boards and my new boards and the only differences between them are more features and reliability.

-Tex

It's easy to say you wouldn't pay those prices, but all that demonstrates is that you don't want an ARP 2600. Pretend, if you can, that you did... and the only way you could have one was to pay those prices. The outcome becomes simple. Either you want one enough to pay those prices, or you don't.
As for the flood of new analogs... look how much the Voyager decreased the value of the Minimoog.
If you cannot see the inherent differences and value of vintage over modern, don't blame those who can.
As time goes on, high-end vintage synths are not going to fall in price, or at least, not significantly. It's about demand exceeding availability.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:43 pm

Yeah, as long as demand is way higher than the supply, prices can be set to almost anything, someone will buy it anyways.

We're anxiously waiting for a 2600 guide video in about a year's time, Automatic :) It'll take you a while to figure out all the features..like those Electronic switches etc. I have all the manuals, but you can find them online for free. The 2600 manual is said to be one of the best synth manuals ever written.

I'd have the same facial expression as Mr Packrat if I sat in front of a new ARP 2600.
Actually, my modular looks alot like the last picture right now :p

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:38 am

Bitexion wrote:Yeah, as long as demand is way higher than the supply, prices can be set to almost anything, someone will buy it anyways.

We're anxiously waiting for a 2600 guide video in about a year's time, Automatic :) It'll take you a while to figure out all the features..like those Electronic switches etc. I have all the manuals, but you can find them online for free. The 2600 manual is said to be one of the best synth manuals ever written.

I'd have the same facial expression as Mr Packrat if I sat in front of a new ARP 2600.
Actually, my modular looks alot like the last picture right now :p
I have to say that I felt pretty cocky about synthesizers until I sat in front of the 2600. It really has its own way of doing things, and I have a lot to learn.
I will definitely make a video, though. I don't think people realize how versatile this thing is, nor how its unique architecture creates a unique sound.

My dot com had more modules, was larger, and was technically a far more powerful synthesizer... but somehow the 2600 inspires more awe in me.