Brian Eno/Peter Gabriel pad sound (Dune soundtrack/Passion)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Brian Eno/Peter Gabriel pad sound (Dune soundtrack/Passion)

Post by portland » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:22 pm

We're talking about the David Lynch's 1984 version here. I'm wondering about the soundtrack... are the sounds in this just multitracked CS80 in a really nice recording studio, or what?

Specifically, in Brian Eno's Prophecy Theme, there is a pad sound which is very similar to pad sounds Peter Gabriel used Passion: Music For The Last Temptation of Christ. Listen at 2:30 in Of These, Hope from said album. Peter Gabriel's version isn't as modulated as Eno's, but there's obvious similarity.

I don't have the liner notes for it, but I think I recall seeing Prophet 5 and CS80 listed there (along with a lot of other expensive things...)

What are your thoughts on this. Has anyone tried to recreate these sounds before?

vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Post by vcs3 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:24 pm

I think that "Prophecy Theme" is one of the greatest theme of the synth era.
I always how and with the sounds where made, maybe a DX7 along the CS80 and Prophet 5?

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:11 am

Dune was scored by Toto, so probably CS80.
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:13 am

vcs3 wrote:I think that "Prophecy Theme" is one of the greatest theme of the synth era.
I always how and with the sounds where made, maybe a DX7 along the CS80 and Prophet 5?
It does sound like there are some FM sounds in prologue...

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:57 am

synthetic88 wrote:Dune was scored by Toto.
are you serious?
I never would have guessed that one.

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:16 pm

Prophecy Theme is Brian Eno the other 16 are Toto ( great open guitar chords ) I remember that and Blade Runner having a big impact on my sonic pallette as a kid watching those movies. Also two of my favorite directors. I would think CS80 as stated above, could be some tape tricks,(record double speed played back regular speed) Eno was into that back then.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:02 am

Jeez...CS80 fever sweeping the boards?

Brian Eno is one of the greatest synthesists of all time. This implies two things here; it is meaningless to ask what synth he used, and even if you use that exact synth, its doubtful that you could copy what he did.

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:01 am

i_watch_stars wrote:Jeez...CS80 fever sweeping the boards?

Brian Eno is one of the greatest synthesists of all time. This implies two things here; it is meaningless to ask what synth he used, and even if you use that exact synth, its doubtful that you could copy what he did.
Yep, Eno is phenominal, and part of what makes him so good is that he's not copying anything. (I know that's not what you were saying your post was just the impetus for my thought :)) My random point here is that most of the synthesists that are truly great are the ones who push the boundaries with their tools. They create new sounds rather than trying to recreate things they have already heard. I once read that when Eno was working with Bowie, they would buy a new synth and throw out the manual, just diving in to see what they could do rather than trying to do what the synth was "supposed" to do. This is not to say that there isn't a lot to be learned by deconstructing an interesting sound, but rather to say that there is much satisfaction, and knowledge to be had through experimentation and innovation.

I'm sure everyone who reads this will be thinking "well yeah, DUH, ya stupid newbie" :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/atomatik13
http://www.myspace.com/rektmusic
http://www.myspace.com/aural1117

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:21 am

There is a wonderful preset on the Kurzweil K2000 called "passion". A friend of mine years ago said "wow that's the peter gabriel one..." when he listen to it walking through the preset...

If you have an mp3 of the sound... i can compare it.

steveman

Post by steveman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:58 am

Never thought of any association between Eno and the CS80. 1983? Probably Prophet 5 and maybe DX7 ;)
As for Toto, probably everything and the kitchen sink (including the Vienna Symphony Orchestra).
Peter Gabriel was a big Fairlight user around then.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:13 pm

Eno never owned a P5. Presumably he did use one belonging to someone like Jerry Harrison of the Talking Heads at some point. He apparently owned a Pro 1 in the early '80s, which he said he prefered to the P5 for its arpeggiator, and may have owned a Prophet VS in the early '90s, as I've seen footage of him with the latter. Eno did use a CS80 on Before and After Science, and I wouldn't be surprised if he used one elsewhere in that period.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:58 pm

PASSION - anyone not familiar with this s/track is sorely missing out. One of my favorite 3 s/tracks ever

re: pad sounds : the variance between the way Passion was recorded ("on location" in Africa to a degree iirc) and Dune ( in a modern early 80s studio )were recorded seem to be pretty wide. i suspect they arrived at similar results almost coincedentally. perhaps they both use cs80, but the audio signal path and context/environment used to record each did vary widely.

not much help, i'm afraid, i may even be way off.

Hopefully Micke or another member with solid info can chime in.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Brian Eno/Peter Gabriel pad sound (Dune soundtrack/Passi

Post by Micke » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:31 pm

portland wrote:We're talking about the David Lynch's 1984 version here. I'm wondering about the soundtrack... are the sounds in this just multitracked CS80 in a really nice recording studio, or what?

Specifically, in Brian Eno's Prophecy Theme, there is a pad sound which is very similar to pad sounds Peter Gabriel used Passion: Music For The Last Temptation of Christ. Listen at 2:30 in Of These, Hope from said album. Peter Gabriel's version isn't as modulated as Eno's, but there's obvious similarity.

I don't have the liner notes for it, but I think I recall seeing Prophet 5 and CS80 listed there (along with a lot of other expensive things...)

What are your thoughts on this. Has anyone tried to recreate these sounds before?
I'm not sure what Brian Eno used on "The Prophecy theme" but I do know that Peter Gabriel used a Prophet 5 when recording "The Last Temptation Of Christ" (1989).

Here's a run down of the synths & samplers used in the making
of this soundtrack:

1) The Feeling Begins: synthesizers (sic)

2) Of These, Hope: Prophet 5

3) Lazarus Raised: Akai S900

4) Of These, Hope - Reprise: Prophet 5

5) In Doubt: Fairlight samples + Audioframe Waveframe

6) A Different Drum: Audioframe, Prophet 5

7) Zaar: Audiofram, Akai S900

8) Troubled: Fairlight, Emulator

9) Open: Prophet 5, Akai S900

10) With This Love: Prophet 5, Fairlight, Akai S900 and Waveframe

11) Sandstorm: Fairlight

12) Stigmata: Prophet 5

13) Passion: Prophet 5, Fairlight, Akai S900

14) Wall Of Breath: synthesizers (sic)

15) The Promise Of Shadows: Emulator, Prophet 5 and Audioframe

16) Disturbed: Fairlight, Prophet 5

17) It Is Accomplished: Roland D-50, Prophet 5

18) Bread And Wine: Prophet 5

Hope this helps

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:23 pm

Micke, Oh mighty guru, where did you pull this information? Like others on this list, the soundtrack is a favorite. There was also a second CD titled "Passion Sources" that showed where he pulled the inspiration for this work.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

i_watch_stars

Re: Brian Eno/Peter Gabriel pad sound (Dune soundtrack/Passi

Post by i_watch_stars » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:44 pm

Micke wrote:
portland wrote:We're talking about the David Lynch's 1984 version here. I'm wondering about the soundtrack... are the sounds in this just multitracked CS80 in a really nice recording studio, or what?

I'm not sure what Brian Eno used on "The Prophecy theme" but I do know that Peter Gabriel used a Prophet 5 when recording "The Last Temptation Of Christ" (1989).

Here's a run down of the synths & samplers used in the making
of this soundtrack:

1) The Feeling Begins: synthesizers (sic)

2) Of These, Hope: Prophet 5

3) Lazarus Raised: Akai S900

4) Of These, Hope - Reprise: Prophet 5

5) In Doubt: Fairlight samples + Audioframe Waveframe

6) A Different Drum: Audioframe, Prophet 5

7) Zaar: Audiofram, Akai S900

8) Troubled: Fairlight, Emulator

9) Open: Prophet 5, Akai S900

10) With This Love: Prophet 5, Fairlight, Akai S900 and Waveframe

11) Sandstorm: Fairlight

12) Stigmata: Prophet 5

13) Passion: Prophet 5, Fairlight, Akai S900