Korg MS mods?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Korg MS mods?

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:10 am

I came across a video on youtube where a guy extended the MG range on his MS-10. He did so by adding a switch and changing a capacitor on C34 from 1uf to 2.2uf. It made for some pretty neat sounds.

I also came across someones notes. that can be found there http://web.archive.org/web/200503061217 ... e_mods.htm

Has anyone modified/enhanced their ms-10 or 20? For some reason I now feel like i've said something blasphemous ahaha. :lol:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

mistercooper

Post by mistercooper » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:41 am

no offense, but if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be modding it.

put down the soldering iron sir,
and spare a vintage synth.
m-audio Radium 61, Korg Kontrol49,
Nord Modular rack, ER-1
Soundlab
CS-50
Custom built modular w/ ~30 modules
TX-216, VSS-100, PSR-470
Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, plugs

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:04 am

mistercooper wrote:no offense, but if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be modding it.

put down the soldering iron sir,
and spare a vintage synth.
The question was if anyone has modded their synth. As in reply with pictures, videos or sound clips of peoples accomplishments in modification. Reading is great, staying on topic is even better.

Put down the mouse sir, and spare us by not clicking submit.

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

clueless

Post by clueless » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:07 am

Nice comeback sir! :lol:
Haven't seen any MS mods but have seen some CS mod jobs. I think some basic electronics knowledge and a steady soldering hand is all thats needed. Neither of which I have. :lol:

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:13 am

Sure it may be blasphemous but a stock MS has pathetically slow LFOs. Luckilly you can patch in any LFO from other gear so I'll leave mine as it is.
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:31 am

clueless wrote:Nice comeback sir! :lol:
High fives all around. I have some electronics know how and can solder well but I don't feel that adventurous. It would be nice to make something your own and one of a kind but then is it worth it? It would be safer just to buy something else with whatever feature you wanted to add perhaps. But hearing sounds from someones modified anything is a treat for curious people.
neandrewthal wrote:Luckilly you can patch in any LFO from other gear so I'll leave mine as it is.
You don't say? What other gear have you patched into it? This intrigues me. The only thing I've done is hook the ms-10 and ms-20 to each other like the manual showed(I do have the ms-02 interface and was told something about using it with my sh-101). I've only recently acquired them so any info outside of online manuals is def new to me.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:39 am

I patch in the carrier oscillator from the moogerfooger ringmod, the audio output of another synth synced to the MS-20, or LFO 1 from the PS-3100 which goes so fast that you can't even hear the effect when you have the speed turned all the way up. The thing I like about the MS-20's LFO though is that you can adjust the width of the waveform. Does the 10 let you do that too? I've never tried one in person.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:14 pm

From the sound of it I think you mean the MG(waveform/freq), I am totally green on synthesis. If it is the MG then yes the 10 has the same deal. The following video of a modded MG range is what sparked my interest.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uZqOCj8nCPE

I like the way that sounded when he flipped the switch, the first time, and turned the freq all the way up. Even the second time made for some nice sounds.

I remembered a youtube video of someone using moogerfooger stuff and low and behold I believe they belong to you ahaha. I haven't looked at the moog pedals much but I will have a listen. I have been looking at a space echo though(old not recent release). PS-3100? Vicious. That must've been a car crash in your wallet but well worth damage.

celebutante

Post by celebutante » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:28 pm

I guess there's a certain amount of risk in tampering with a synth that's worth a lot, but the mod described here involves changing one capacitor... this is pretty hard to mess up, and pretty easy to reverse (speaking of reverse, just make sure you don't solder it in backwards if it's a polarized cap).

If one didn't have the dexterity to desolder/resolder one cap, they probably don't have enough dexterity to play a keyboard in the first place :)

Seriously, this is one of the reasons I got into modulars... you can buy PCB boards and parts for next to nothing, and if you screw it up, it's not the end of the world (especially because screwing one module doesn't have any effect on the others).

cheers,

mitchell
synthesizers.com modular • Sequential Prophet-5 • Roland Jupiter-4 • Korg Delta • Oberheim SEM • Ensoniq SQ-80 • Korg MS-20 • Moog Minimoog • Yamaha CS-15 • Cordovox/Moog "White Elephant"

http://www.mitchellsigman.com
http://www.celebusite.com

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:41 pm

Has anyone modified/enhanced their ms-10 or 20?
I haven't done it myself, but a friend added PWM and OSC1 out to his MS20, and the possibilities were quite exciting (ie modulating OSC2 or PW with OSC1, etc.

BTW, I have a MS20 and MS10 too (plus moogerfooger CP251 which i definitely recommend to MS owners), and the LFO speed on the MS10 is much higher than the MS20's at their lowest settings... Is that right?
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:05 pm

audible wrote:
Has anyone modified/enhanced their ms-10 or 20?
I haven't done it myself, but a friend added PWM and OSC1 out to his MS20, and the possibilities were quite exciting (ie modulating OSC2 or PW with OSC1, etc.

BTW, I have a MS20 and MS10 too (plus moogerfooger CP251 which i definitely recommend to MS owners), and the LFO speed on the MS10 is much higher than the MS20's at their lowest settings... Is that right?
I've read about the PWM mod on an MS-20. I wonder why the MS-10 has it and it wasn't included in the MS-20. I was looking for videos of an MS with a CP251 or a video of a cp251 in general and nothing. You wouldn't happen to have sound clips of an MS sound w/o the CP and then the same with a CP and it's functions? As for the LFO speeds I haven't compared, got them both fairly recently.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:11 am

RobotHeroes wrote: I wonder why the MS-10 has it and it wasn't included in the MS-20.
I think they just put it on the MS-10 to make up for the fact that it only has one oscillator. I don't really use it on 2 osc synths anyway so I don't really miss it on the 20.
I was looking for videos of an MS with a CP251 or a video of a cp251 in general and nothing.
This comes from one of our members, Zonkout:

It doesn't focus on the CP in particular but it's great fun.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:51 am

That's the video I had seen. I couldn't find it for some reason. Yeah I wish it was just the MS and the CP to hear what it can produce together. The video makes for some neat sounds but hearing what it could do for bass, leads and those sort of sounds would be a helpful demo.

I listened to the samples on the moog site but even those aren't of the CP and a synth. They are of the CP+other moogerfooger stuff.

MissionBrown

Post by MissionBrown » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:12 pm

I did the LFO mod to get it into audio range.
My MS10 was in a pretty shabby condition when I got it and someone else had added a switch but totally butchered the pitch wheel housing, so I repaired it so you don't notice if you're not looking at it.
There are holes in the side panels for some reason, and I think it was rack mounted.

The audio range mod is actually really annoying.
I want to re-do it to make the LFO super slow instead( of course I'd love to get it re-painted too).

Considering selling up though, I've just finished building a Music form outer space sound lab. It sounds great and is highly moddable(a little more easy calibrate CV too).
A much cheaper and more satisfying hobby than modifying old synths.

I recently sold a CP251 and it was a great unit to couple with the MS10.
Inverting the inverted envelope to control other CV gear.
Maybe I'll keep it..... Clean it up some.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:15 pm

I visited the music from outer space a while back. Looked very interesting. The site was strange to navigate. I couldn't figure out what building it would cost though. But it's def something I would want to try out sometime.