Origin of the "Solina Phaze" sound on Kurzweil K20

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ditabeardmemo
Gear: E-mu Emulator II+ HD, Emulator III 8MB; LinnDrum; Waldorf Microwave I (Rev. A); Roland Juno 60, SH-101, TR-808, TR-909; SCI Pro One; DSI Evolver Kybd

Origin of the "Solina Phaze" sound on Kurzweil K20

Post by ditabeardmemo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:12 pm

It has been quite a few years since I regularly played my Kurzweil K2000 VP, but the other day I turned it on to revisit some old presets and Brian Cowell sound sets. I came across a preset that I used to use a lot called the "Solina Phaze," as well as a Brian Cowell variation called the "Solina Phaze 3." I was curious to whether this sound attempts to replicate a particular vintage synth tone, or whether it is an entirely new sound that just happens to have some Solina characteristics. I ask because I heard a vintage Solina String Ensemble recently, and it lacked a lot of the "fuzziness" that the "Solina Phaze" sound has.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:02 pm

i haven't heard the preset but i'm guessing its trying to replicate a solina being run through a phaser?

ditabeardmemo
Gear: E-mu Emulator II+ HD, Emulator III 8MB; LinnDrum; Waldorf Microwave I (Rev. A); Roland Juno 60, SH-101, TR-808, TR-909; SCI Pro One; DSI Evolver Kybd

Post by ditabeardmemo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:12 pm

Not quite... there is definitely a phase/chorus effect applied to the whole sound, but it sounds more like a Solina string layered with a fuzzy pad from a Juno 60 (or something similar).

Tonight I'll see if I can record a brief snippet of the sound to post.

Dave Bryce

Post by Dave Bryce » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:47 pm

IIRC, that program was part of a set of patches written by Andrew Schlesinger called Analog Synths. It was some of the best use of the VAST engine for subtractive sounds that I've heard. 8)

dB
Alesis Andromeda (x2)/QS8/QSR/NanoBass/Ion, Casio VZ10M, DSI PEK (x2)/PER/MEK/P'08, Korg M3/WSSR/M1R, Kurzweil K2000/PC3, Macbeth M5, heavily modded MiniMoog, Nord Electro 2, Oberheim OB5, Roland V-Synth XT/MKS80/MKS70/JD990/D550, Yamaha MOTIF ES8

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:36 am

Dave Bryce wrote:IIRC, that program was part of a set of patches written by Andrew Schlesinger called Analog Synths. It was some of the best use of the VAST engine for subtractive sounds that I've heard. 8)

dB
I have that set. There's a lot of great sounds in it. KlingKlang and Vast Essentials have some really great subtractive sounds as well. It's always surprised me that the K2xx series gets very little recognition for it's synthesis capabilities and is often called a ROMpler when that's only a fraction of what it does.

Anyway the Solina Phaze patches (I think) come from some of the older Brian Cowell sound sets. Maybe he borrowed/altered the ones from Analog Synths or maybe they're original...I don't know.

ditabeardmemo

Post by ditabeardmemo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:36 am

Thanks for the information. I definitely have one variation Solina Phaze patch as part of a Brian Cowell set... one of the free ones that is still available on an archive at Sweetwater, I believe.

As an aside, if anyone has some older K2000/K2000VP sound sets (like the Andrew Schlesinger analog set) that they would be willing to provide in some form, please let me know. These aren't easy to come by now that the Kurzweils are (sort of) ancient history...