Just got a Little Phatty!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:24 pm

StepLogik wrote:I buy and sell synths like crazy and I often take a small hit when I do. Over the years I've lost thousands due to buying and selling. But, I just consider that the cost of my hobby. Whatever loss I take, I consider that the cost of ownership for the time I had it.
And you it helps you learn what you are looking for in your gear no doubt.

If you take a small hit it's not too bad really - at least you know it's not what you are looking for and that knowledge is priceless.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:30 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:
StepLogik wrote:I buy and sell synths like crazy and I often take a small hit when I do. Over the years I've lost thousands due to buying and selling. But, I just consider that the cost of my hobby. Whatever loss I take, I consider that the cost of ownership for the time I had it.
And you it helps you learn what you are looking for in your gear no doubt.

If you take a small hit it's not too bad really - at least you know it's not what you are looking for and that knowledge is priceless.
absolutely. when i recently sold my Akai AX-60, I took a loss of about $80 after it was all said and done. I had it for a couple of months, and I consider that the cost of learning it wasnt quite right for me and the cost of getting to own and use the instrument for that time.

KLAXON

Post by KLAXON » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:45 pm

I don't really think that 50% of the value of the PEK (over $1000) is really taking a "small hit" That is a pretty big hit, but if thats what he wanted, it is his decision to make.
.....i have some things that create and sculpt sound.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:51 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:
JSRockit wrote:I'm sorry, but losing $500-600 due to laziness / gas cannot be justified...no matter how you look at it....IMHO. However, it is shanes loot, so... no big deal.
And some could say the same about the money you lost on the sale of the Voyager. ;)

He bought an expensive synth and decided it wasn't for him and so swapped it for another that is. Nobody said you were crazy to go out and spend a lot of money on an item that you didn't really want at the end of the day.

Everyone goes in over their head and makes mistakes from time to time - we are only human after all. :)
I knew someone would call me out on this, but I feel there is a difference. The difference was that I got the top amount someone would give me for the Voyager by waiting and selling...and that was $600 less than I paid new. I got 78.5% of the cost back...which is about average when you sell something you bought new. He basically (traded) his PEK for a little bit more than 50% of its initial cost (unless he got a good deal). However, I also stated that it was his money.

By the way, I was crazy when I bought the Voyager... :oops:
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:27 pm

I'll trade someone an MG-1 for a PEK.
anyone? anyone?
Bueller?

seriously though, it's all about what works best for what you're trying to achieve. If Shanesaw is happier with the Moog over the PEK, then it was a good trade.

http://www.myspace.com/atomatik13
http://www.myspace.com/rektmusic

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:17 am

I figured some of you would be a little stunned by this. It would have been nice to keep both but like I said, I wasn't too thrilled about the tone of the PEK. I'd rather have a great sounding mono that facilitates my workflow than an impractical synth that didn't fit my needs sonically and hindered the workflow.
Yeah I know I lost money and that's a real pisser but I really am happy with the LP. When I think about the decission I made, I realized that the two most important concepts in a synth for me are practicality and tone. The LP fits me perfectly in that respect.
A little off topic but I've got 8 tracks laid down of only LP. 10 tracks and growing, the other two tracks are a crash cymbal and an open H-hat from the Xbase. I'll post it up in Listening lounge when i'm done.
-Shane

sequence

Post by sequence » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:55 am

hmm, so synths are depreciating assets like used cars. bet GC is thrilled over that trade, since they'll prob turn it for $1,700 or so.

anyway I have an LPSE and an MEK, and they compliment each other veryyyyyyy well. too bad U couldnt keep both.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:58 am

StepLogik wrote:absolutely. when i recently sold my Akai AX-60, I took a loss of about $80 after it was all said and done. I had it for a couple of months, and I consider that the cost of learning it wasnt quite right for me and the cost of getting to own and use the instrument for that time.
Same here with the D-50. I actually broke even when selling it but I had to take half a day off to clean ALL the contacts - took forever. So in a way it cost me effort, not money.

At the end of the day I learned that it wasn't for me (boy was it noisy!) - however it pointed me in the direction of the JD-800 which is indeed a keeper. So it did help in way. :)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:03 am

JSRockit wrote:I knew someone would call me out on this, but I feel there is a difference. The difference was that I got the top amount someone would give me for the Voyager by waiting and selling...and that was $600 less than I paid new. I got 78.5% of the cost back...which is about average when you sell something you bought new. He basically (traded) his PEK for a little bit more than 50% of its initial cost (unless he got a good deal). However, I also stated that it was his money.
I get ya - I wasn't criticising really, just pointing out that sometimes we have been in similar situations ourselves.
By the way, I was crazy when I bought the Voyager... :oops:
Nah, I wouldn't say so. Joey also bought a Voyager if and ended up selling it because it wasn't for him, if I recall correctly. I feel you can't really get to know a synth properly unless you own it or have owned it in the past.

Unless of course you are good mates with a fellow synth head who'll lend you one or let you play it extensively. :thumbup:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:15 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
Nah, I wouldn't say so. Joey also bought a Voyager if and ended up selling it because it wasn't for him, if I recall correctly. I feel you can't really get to know a synth properly unless you own it or have owned it in the past.

Unless of course you are good mates with a fellow synth head who'll lend you one or let you play it extensively. :thumbup:
I agree with this... even though I'm still trying to figure out the Monomachine after owning it longer than any other synth ever.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad